South Auckland

Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:33 am
In Albany and loving it!!

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default South Auckland

There have been some nice rentals in Papakura,Pukekohe, Papatoetoe area. Anybody living in that area already? What are they like, what do the schools rate? Any information would be helpful. Thank you
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Auckland

Originally Posted by katracy
There have been some nice rentals in Papakura,Pukekohe, Papatoetoe area. Anybody living in that area already? What are they like, what do the schools rate? Any information would be helpful. Thank you
If you're willing to put up with the isolation, and sensory and intellectual deprivation of living in New Zealand, then you can do worse than Papakura and Pukekohe.

I live within a few blocks of the Papatoetoe border, so I can say this with confidence - avoid it if at all possible. Except for a very few streets, it is -
and this is no exaggeration - squalid and filthy. Truly Third World (even more so than the rest of New Zealand). And plagued with crime, especially vandalism. You will probably have a hard time finding a house that does not reek of mold and mildew. Trust me, when you come here, take a look, otherwise you might not believe how bad it is.

I've spent the last two years closely following the housing market and have looked at many, many homes in these towns. I think the nicest place amongst those you listed (and remember, this is relative, I don't think it's particularly nice, just not as bad as some other places) is an area of Papakura called Red Hill.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:27 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Papakura and Pukekohe are on the southern outskirts of Auckland, both townships look fine, with a good mix of Polynesian populations. You also have the Cleavdon hills, some some very fine housing, access the bush walks and waterfalls, small wineries.

If you have work in Auckland itself, I would suggest that commuting is a bit of a slog.

Papatoetoe - unfortunately I would have to agree with Weezer that it is a area best avoided.

However I would strongly disagree that NZ is "Third World" esp if you compare it to other western countries.....the US is a good example where 1 in 32 adults is in the prision system.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113000912.html
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Papakura and Pukekohe are on the southern outskirts of Auckland, both townships look fine, with a good mix of Polynesian populations. You also have the Cleavdon hills, some some very fine housing, access the bush walks and waterfalls, small wineries.

If you have work in Auckland itself, I would suggest that commuting is a bit of a slog.

Papatoetoe - unfortunately I would have to agree with Weezer that it is a area best avoided.

However I would strongly disagree that NZ is "Third World" esp if you compare it to other western countries.....the US is a good example where 1 in 32 adults is in the prision system.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113000912.html

I'm glad you brought up one of NZ's dirty little secrets (and there are many):

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...-total-victims

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison

The US is about as far from Third World as the world gets. Unfortunately, since everyone and their Uncle wants to go, and often goes illegally, there are is more crime in *urban areas* From my experience a small town in the US is safer than a small town in NZ. And just about all towns in NZ are small.
And there are many safe small towns in the US within *easy* communtes to the larger cities.

I imagine they'll be lots of contradictions here (due of course, to the always ugly anti-Americanism that is the fashion these days), but I'm only stating my opinion as a person who lived in the US for over 30 years, and my own experiences here in the (way too long) two years I've spent in NZ.
I've said enough for now, I leave it to others to rant against the US.
Please note, I was not the one who made the comparison with the US.
I think comparisons between the US and NZ are not very helpful. The US is too big, too varied, too diverse, too wealthy to make a meaningful comparison, even when one is tempted to do so.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:23 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with the negative comments on South Auckland.

It is known as a major crime area and the family violence (true stats from the police, not the politicians. Remember NZ is trying to attract skills) is quite scary. I think the stats show that the South of Auckland has the highest density of people living on the benefit ( the dole) so I am sure you understand from the UK what these type of housing areas etc are like.

The whole PC thing here is getting to the levels of the UK & maybe even worse. You know, the criminals have more rights than the tax-paying citizens.

The one thing we are very aware of is the “tall poppy” syndrome in NZ and in certain schools competitiveness is not taught ( unless it is rugby !). There are areas outside Auckland, for example the North Shore which are far newer developments and offers far better standards than South Auckland.

Just remember that Kiwis are VERY aware of pushing the best deal and if you are seeing “cheap” rentals in South Auckland it is because they know that is all they can get for them. You get what you pay for and with a move to a new country living in South Auckland could give you the wrong impression of NZ.

If you want some more info you are welcome to PM me.

Cheers & good luck
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Dont move to Papatoetoe, used to work there and not too nice a place. Not sure about the other places but if the rentals are cheap I agree they are cheap for a reason.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:28 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Ha ha ha ha ha ha . Even if 16 in 32 were in prison does that make it 3rd world ?

Have a look a Singapore by comparison to NZ, a coutry the size of Taupo and yet look at their productivity.

The underdevelopment of the third world is marked by a number of common traits; distorted and highly dependent economies devoted to producing primary products for the developed world and to provide markets for their finished goods; traditional, rural social structures; high population growth; and widespread poverty.

Nevertheless, the third world is sharply differentiated, for it includes countries on various levels of economic development. And despite the poverty of the countryside and the urban shantytowns, the ruling elites of most third world countries are wealthy.

Good reggae band though
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Auckland

A close friend of mine comes from America, his name is Paul.

He likes to chew gum.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:43 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

He likes to chew gum.

Do you get your fishing rod out with him?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Auckland

Originally Posted by karonious
Do you get your fishing rod out with him?
Nah, never been fishing with him, chatted up lots of ladies though............
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:57 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
Ha ha ha ha ha ha . Even if 16 in 32 were in prison does that make it 3rd world ? No It would make it the worst place in the world.

Have a look a Singapore by comparison to NZ, a coutry the size of Taupo and yet look at their productivity.

And your point is?

The underdevelopment of the third world is marked by a number of common traits; distorted and highly dependent economies devoted to producing primary products for the developed world and to provide markets for their finished goods; traditional, rural social structures; high population growth; and widespread poverty.

A situation helped along by the world bank and relentless consumerism. It has been in America's interest to keep this status quo, often directly or indirectly supporting oppressive governments within strategic locale.

Nevertheless, the third world is sharply differentiated, for it includes countries on various levels of economic development. And despite the poverty of the countryside and the urban shantytowns, the ruling elites of most third world countries are wealthy.

In countries were a bowl of rice is considered a daily wage, it is not difficult to be "rich"? How that work out in South Africa for you? As one of the Elite?

Good reggae band though
Like Lucky Dube? Bet you got all his albums!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:09 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, never been fishing with him, chatted up lots of ladies though............
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:15 pm
Banned

He likes to chew gum.
I have a good mate in Scotland, his name is Jimmy. They have three dogs and walk them twice a day, sometimes in the kiddies play park.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:02 pm
Banned

Have a look a Singapore by comparison to NZ, a coutry the size of Taupo and yet look at their productivity. And your point is?
I repeat – productivity

In countries were a bowl of rice is considered a daily wage, it is not difficult to be "rich"? How that work out in South Africa for you? As one of the Elite?
Pretty much the same as Robert Mugabe and his elite mob that are in control in South Africa.

You know what really gets up my nose? The race card trick …..
You and people like you, when challenged yell, you’re white and lived in South Africa – racist

Would be like me thinking – Maori, you must eat human meat

NEWSFLASH:
Seen Lucky Dube in concert several times and yes, do have several of his CDs.
as well as Jimmy Dludlu, Hugh Masakela, Stimela ( Ray Phiri) , Tananas, Ladysmith Black Mambazo to name but a few “black” artists…

As a musician I have played with, coached, recorded and produced many black artists. Music is art and when fellow artists meet to express themselves in the form of music they play for the love of music not to produce a message. That is part of propaganda machines, Hitler was the master of propaganda .

FYI - I was responsible for designing a project that was rolled out in SA to offer street buskers ( mostly black) a platform of opportunity and hope.

Our business in South Africa was predominately creating educational material for black people that we designed and produced.

Mate, you assume too much. Have a great day
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Campbells
As a musician I have played with, coached, recorded and produced many black artists. Music is art and when fellow artists meet to express themselves in the form of music they play for the love of music not to produce a message. That is part of propaganda machines, Hitler was the master of propaganda .
Can this possibly be the same person who started a rant about Hip Hop being the cause of all evil (or something along those lines)?.
See here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427458
Something just doesn't ring true, on one thread Campbells comes across as a right wing nana who doesn't know anything about the music in the world today, and in this thread he sounds like he is involved in the industry?

I am so confused!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.