Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

son from previous marriage wants to move to NZ

son from previous marriage wants to move to NZ

Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:46 pm
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice
Default son from previous marriage wants to move to NZ

My son is currently living in the UK with my ex, and her new partner, but has expressed interest in moving to NZ when he leaves school at 16.
How do I go about getting a visa for him? Is it a formality, or does NZ immigration make me jump thru hoops? I am a NZ citizen.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 2:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: son from previous marriage wants to move to NZ

Hi there.

I think this LINK will give you exactly what you are looking for and THIS LINK about how to apply..

It is the Dependant Child Policy for parents/children wishing to reunite in NZ.

I'll copy it below.

Originally Posted by NZIS website
What is required – dependent child

You need to meet a number of requirements to have your residence application approved under the Family Category (Dependent Child Policy).
First things first…

Your parent(s) must be lawfully and permanently in New Zealand.

You must
  • be aged 16 years or younger and single
    or
  • be aged between 17 and 24 years, single, and have no children of your own.
And
  • be born or adopted before your parents applied for residence, and have been declared on your parents’ application for residence
    or
  • be born after your parents applied for residence
    or
  • be adopted by your parents as a result of a New Zealand adoption or an overseas adoption recognised under New Zealand law.
And
  • be in good health
  • be of good character
  • be totally or substantially dependent on an adult for financial support (whether or not that adult is your parent, and whether or not you are living with that adult)
And you must supply You may be asked for evidence of financial dependence

If you are aged 17 to 24 years you may be asked to provide evidence that you are dependent on an adult for financial support.

If you are aged 16 years or younger, not married, in a civil union or in a de facto relationship, and do not have any children of your own, you are presumed to be dependent on an adult for financial support and will not be asked for evidence.

Custody and Visitation Rights

If you are under 16 years of age and you have a parent living outside New Zealand, your parent in New Zealand must provide evidence that custody or visitation rights of the parent living outside New Zealand would not be breached by you coming to live in New Zealand.

Want to see the wording of the policy?

Take a short cut

Use our quick check and our examples to find out if you are likely to be approved residence.

If you’re approved, we’ll issue you with a residence visa and permit enabling you to live in New Zealand indefinitely.

If you’re unable to meet our requirements, we’ll not grant you residence.

Think you meet these requirements? You can apply under our Family Category (Dependent Child Policy)