Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Something to be wary of.

Something to be wary of.

Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:19 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Something to be wary of.

Have waited a while before I put this thread on, no particular reason, I think I was hoping the company in Question may redeem themselves, but sadly not.
They have their own website so anyone can check out what they are offering, it all sounds pretty good, but for us they have been a total waste of money, we paid £1500, up front, signed a contract with them, and they promised to get us a Lorry driving job, with an accredited ccompany we had quite regular emails from them, and lots of promises of jobs coming up, but in the end, nothing. Oh they did offer us a job in Auckland, but we had already said we didn't want to move to Auckland, but no written job offer was produced, but this is how they are now saying we cannot get our money back, as a job was offered, . They at first said they would easily get us a job with us still being in U.K by Aug, well August came and went and then we were told you might as well come over as it would be better, so thats what we done, they again said they had 2 interviews lined up for when we arrived, it turned out to be just 1, it wasn't even fulltime position, and embarrassingly low wages. They then told us they couldn't help us further, and under thier advice we should seek help from other recruitment firms locally as she had no more vacancies in the whole of the BOP, (ridiculous) . She actually told us aswell we should have took the job offered to us in Auckland, got the work visa through this, then not even take up the position, just go somewhere else, to us this was never an option to muck a company around like this, it really isn't helping the reputation of British Lorry drivers over here, we were shocked and obviously upset at her comments. But we didn't let it get us down, OH visited lots of companies off his own back, and after 2 weeks, got a good job offer, but he was also offered 2 others aswell, one being with a company that they deal with, how odd we thought !!
The rest fell into place, we done the visa forms ourselves to save spending more money on help firms, so had visa's after about 5 weeks of being here. OH's company have been very helpful, and it just went to prove to us that good jobs with good pay are here and some great people to work for.
Please remember that this is just our experience, but I do know it has worked for 1 other person only, that we know of, there maybe more, but I havn't managed to make contact with anyone else who has used them successfully.
Just wanted to put this up as a precautionary measure, to give anyone thinking of using them, our experience, we think its very valid.

Last edited by Sue; Jan 27th 2008 at 3:44 pm. Reason: Company name removed as per request of company concerned.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Re: Something to be wary of.

Well done for taking the time to post this warning to others, sorry you had to go through that additional stress and expense but I think it shows that you have the deternination and resiliance to suceed in NZ
Jackie
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:34 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Jackie, Karma to you for your kind words.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:08 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Cheers Jackie, Karma to you for your kind words.
Oh dear mate ... not turned out well in that respect then?

I guess you have to put it behind you and think you've done so well on your own now and it's all falling into place so ...

And on the bright side the kids start school soon - then what will you do with yourself?

I'm available for lunch/wine most days ...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

PM'd you. Have a sneaky suspicion I know who you mean
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:27 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it illegal in the Uk for employment agencies to charge job seekers any sort of fees and doesn't a similar law apply in NZ?

Any recruitment company worth their salt will be charging the employer, not the employee for this sort of service.

Why not make a complaint to the Commerce Commission?

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 27th 2008 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Have waited a while before I put this thread on, no particular reason, I think I was hoping the company in Question may redeem themselves, but sadly not.
They have their own website so anyone can check out what they are offering, it all sounds pretty good, but for us they have been a total waste of money, we paid £1500, up front, signed a contract with them, and they promised to get us a Lorry driving job, with an accredited ccompany we had quite regular emails from them, and lots of promises of jobs coming up, but in the end, nothing. Oh they did offer us a job in Auckland, but we had already said we didn't want to move to Auckland, but no written job offer was produced, but this is how they are now saying we cannot get our money back, as a job was offered, . They at first said they would easily get us a job with us still being in U.K by Aug, well August came and went and then we were told you might as well come over as it would be better, so thats what we done, they again said they had 2 interviews lined up for when we arrived, it turned out to be just 1, it wasn't even fulltime position, and embarrassingly low wages. They then told us they couldn't help us further, and under thier advice we should seek help from other recruitment firms locally as she had no more vacancies in the whole of the BOP, (ridiculous) . She actually told us aswell we should have took the job offered to us in Auckland, got the work visa through this, then not even take up the position, just go somewhere else, to us this was never an option to muck a company around like this, it really isn't helping the reputation of British Lorry drivers over here, we were shocked and obviously upset at her comments. But we didn't let it get us down, OH visited lots of companies off his own back, and after 2 weeks, got a good job offer, but he was also offered 2 others aswell, one being with a company that they deal with, how odd we thought !!
The rest fell into place, we done the visa forms ourselves to save spending more money on help firms, so had visa's after about 5 weeks of being here. OH's company have been very helpful, and it just went to prove to us that good jobs with good pay are here and some great people to work for.
Please remember that this is just our experience, but I do know it has worked for 1 other person only, that we know of, there maybe more, but I havn't managed to make contact with anyone else who has used them successfully.
Just wanted to put this up as a precautionary measure, to give anyone thinking of using them, our experience, we think its very valid.
Have PM'd you Marika sorry to hear about your troubles but good on you both for sorting it alone.
Fiona
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Nerine

Why not make a complaint to the Commerce Commission?
I agree. Take this further. It may save others heartache, false hope and save them money better spent elsewhere.

£1500 - they promised to get us a Lorry driving job, with an accredited ccompany
I'd personally be extremely wary of anyone that offered a job promise in exchange for a big fat fee. Especially one that will possibly only deal with NZIS acredited employers.

There is a list of acredited employers on the NZIS website. Click this link . Look for toolbox on the right hand side and it is the first option. (click the blue type)

Look through the list for an employer that suits your occupation and then contact them direct. That's the way to go with that. Haggle for the best wage rate . It may be a bit time consuming but could turn up trumps. You don't need a third party to take your money and present your CV or case. Do it yourself.

Otherwise use a regular recruitment agent. They charge the employer a commission fee for finding and matching you to suitable job vacancies.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 28th 2008 at 3:56 am. Reason: add a bit
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:25 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

I can only agree with Nerine and Bevs:

NEVER pay an agency to find you employment - it is needless and very close to criminal in my opinion.

There are agencies in NZ who charge the people who they are looking for work on behalf of, but these are usually people who cannot speak English and would otherwise have no chance in getting work here.

The other example I know of is the only ChCh based primary teaching agency which charges $30 to register with them and and then a few dollars for every job you are booked to. They are council approved to do this, so not exactly illegal.

If you speak English, then get in touch with as many employment agencies as you can in the areas that you wish to find work, and bother the hell out of them until you get a result.

Good luck to all those looking for work right now.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:35 am
Cornish Lass

Thanks for replies everyone, we have thought about complaining to someone here about it, but didn't know who to go to, and to be honest, life has been hectic, getting house and alll our things, getting the visa's, Christmas, getting OH settled at work and most importantly, enjoying our time here, especially before OH started work and we were still in Holiday mode. We try not to dwell on what has happened, it happened and thats that, we made it work without them, and we're happy, we of course let people know of our experiences if we get chatting to people. But thanks Nerine, I will look into what you have said.

Andy, as you may have guessed, my vise came through after submitting other test results, thanks so much for your calming words, when i was worried.

Cheers all.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:55 am
Cornish Lass

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oh dear mate ... not turned out well in that respect then?

I guess you have to put it behind you and think you've done so well on your own now and it's all falling into place so ...

And on the bright side the kids start school soon - then what will you do with yourself?

I'm available for lunch/wine most days ...
Thanks Caroline,

you read my mind about kids going to school and having the odd lunch, , I am looking forward to my days on my own, its been a long time, but saying that I have enjoyed being together so much, we have had great time, and we've never swam so much in the sea, its nearly every day at the mo, as its so hot. I'll be swimming on my own soon, .
See you soon. x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

could you not start up a chain mail and bombard there site?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:29 pm
Whatever will be will be

alyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant futurealyj has a brilliant future

Hi Marika
My hubby is a lorry driver and we are in the process of applying for visa's and a job, my e-mail address is <snip> can you give me more info please.
Many thanks

edited by the moderator....

email details removed . It is not wise to post such details on an open forum.
There is a PM - private message facility - which you can sue to send and receive messages.

P

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 29th 2008 at 10:49 pm. Reason: personal details removed.