Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Some questions about NZ

Wikiposts

Some questions about NZ

Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some questions about NZ

Originally Posted by sr71
As for a more comparative view, this report from the UN is quite useful.

http://ochaonline.un.org/OchaLinkCli...&docId=1111350
I think I've seen this before - the safetest places are Luxembourg or Libya......oooo sorry there's me being selective again
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:01 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

One more post and then I'll shut up about this - honest!

If you read the papers provided by the ARC you will see;

It says 50% chance of a significant tsunami in 50 years. This could impact the outer Hauraki Gulf.

An earthquake sufficiently large to cause liquefaction of the soil / sub soil has a risk of 10% in 50 years.

To complete the picture the risk of volcanic activity in the region is about 5% in the next 50 years.

http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/v...re-hazards.cfm

This link http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/fms/ma...%20Hazards.pdf
also shows the comparitive qualitative risk against other personal and local events like burgulary or house fire. Of course the risks are FAR lower than these. Nevertheless if my statistical maths is right there is still a 57% chance of a natural 'negative event (and I hesitate to use the word disaster because as has been pointed out the CD is very prepared here as are most of the population) in the next 50 years.

.........can someone ask about which is the best beer in New Zealand or something now?

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Aug 18th 2009 at 5:28 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:22 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
.........can someone ask about which is the best beer in New Zealand or something now?
No, thats far too controversial.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:25 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by southerner
No, thats far too controversial.
You're a Speights boy aren't you?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not so Bellasmum. Wooly Cow put up the direct links to the articles for all to read.
Yes Bev I agree there is a link. However for those who choose not to follow the link the cut and paste told a very selective piece of the story.

No big deal in my world. Just making a point.

If others want to get all toffee about it that's up to them.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Some other risk/disaster profiles on places in NZ, as supplied by BonANZa:

Rotorua - there is a 1 in 23 chance that you will wonder exactly what that smell is, and there is a 1 in 12 chance you will be relieved its not your socks but the city that is making that smell.

Wellington -during the summer months there is a 2 in 29 chance that Blanket May may shout some abuse at you, with a 1 in 5000 chance of you being attacked by a live giant squid when out in a kayak in the harbour, also there is a 1 in 1 chance of you getting addicted to some very good coffee.

Invercargill - visitors to here have a 1 in 1000 chance of seeing another person

Queenstown has a 1 in 129 chance of you having an eye taken out by someones set of keys that has flown out of their pocket when bungee jumping, and a 2 to 1 chance of you getting a Fergburger about 2am in the morning...

Remeber, be aware, be safe and be vigilant!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:08 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
You're a Speights boy aren't you?
Well I have been known to have one every so often. But there are plenty of other good beers made down here too. But I certainly wouldn't want to start WW3 by suggesting any of them might actually be better than that those you northerners drink.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:11 pm
Cow on the Beach

Ah Irnbru - thanks for bringing some perspective back to this thread

.....going to go and chew a toffee now - yum
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:12 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by southerner
Well I have been known to have one every so often. But there are plenty of other good beers made down here too. But I certainly wouldn't want to start WW3 by suggesting any of them might actually be better than that those you northerners drink.
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't like Lion ????? or Export Gold or the other classy beers
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Cuirassier is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Wow. You tell me to chill out!

I certainly realize my mistake now, I have come onto the British Expats board. I think your often aggressive unhappy? attitudes and rambling off at unrelated tangents have shown me to ask my questions of Kiwis / non-Brit expats and perhaps be wary of getting involved with British in NZ. Maybe that is why the crime rate is so high and NZ looks less friendly than the USA? That there are too many Brits there! When I search the forums and read posts about how Brits have Brit friends but very few Kiwis, I would ask you to wonder why?!

It sounds like a lot of you are bitter, having gone to NZ and found that the jobs, etc. were not what you had dreamed. I wish you all a safe journey back to the UK.

To the helpful posters and people who have emailed; thank you, truly, but I think this forum is one unfriendly and unhelpful place.

Sirs (admin)
I have tried but can not delete my registration here (not least so I do not get emails any more). Please do this for me.

Originally Posted by irnbru14
You got a lot of reasonable replies from what can be a very helpful forum, and without any disrespect, your response to those helpfull replies coudl be taken as certainly a bit rude, or at the minimum rather brusque, consdiering a bunch of people had gone out of their way to answer what was a lot of issues and questions you raised, perhaps re-reading your own 2nd post on here would maybe give you a clue as to why you may have got a few folks backs up?
Sorry, I did try to say thank you to these folks but the rest of the flood. Anyway, someone has pointed me to a much better forum. Truly thanks to those who did help.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 18th 2009 at 7:12 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuirassier

I certainly realize my mistake now, I have come onto the British Expats board. I think your often aggressive unhappy? attitudes and rambling off at unrelated tangents have shown me to ask my questions of Kiwis and perhaps be wary of getting involved with British in NZ. Maybe that is why the crime rate is so high and NZ looks less friendly than the USA? That there are too many Brits there! When I search the forums and read posts about how Brits have Brit friends but very few Kiwis, I would ask you to wonder why?!

It sounds like a lot of you are bitter, having gone to NZ and found that the jobs, etc. were not what you had dreamed. I wish you all a safe journey back to the UK.

To the helpful posters and people who have emailed; thank you, truly, but I think this forum is one unfriendly and unhelpful place.
In my well traveled experience it's best to avoid expats anywhere in the world from any country.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:36 pm
Here in Dunedin

I'm sorry you feel that way. Ciao.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:48 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Now, am not British so don't care of what was said...

BUT, I think this forum is VERY friendly & VERY helpful!!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey. I think we all did good . It just wasn't to be, no matter what.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly realize my mistake now, I have come onto the British Expats board. I think your often aggressive unhappy? attitudes and rambling off at unrelated tangents have shown me to ask my questions of Kiwis and perhaps be wary of getting involved with British in NZ. Maybe that is why the crime rate is so high and NZ looks less friendly than the USA? That there are too many Brits there! When I search the forums and read posts about how Brits have Brit friends but very few Kiwis, I would ask you to wonder why?!

Do you need a hand off of your high horse then, how is the altitude up there??

You got a lot of reasonable replies from what can be a very helpful forum, and without any disrespect, your response to those helpfull replies coudl be taken as certainly a bit rude, or at the minimum rather brusque, consdiering a bunch of people had gone out of their way to answer what was a lot of issues and questions you raised, perhaps re-reading your own 2nd post on here would maybe give you a clue as to why you may have got a few folks backs up?

NZ is a fab place to live, but like a lot of places people who move here take time to settle and we all have our own issues, like you do wherever you live in the world.

I hope you get a move that suits you and your family, if it is to NZ I hope you love it like most of us do who have moved to these fine shores.

I wish you luck, but you will need to be a bit more open minded, more relaxed and a bit less quick to judge other wherever you move to. Good luck in wherever you end up living.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.