Reload this Page >

Some basic qs, sorry!

Some basic qs, sorry!

Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Busymumto3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some basic qs, sorry!

Hi All,

I have some really basic questions about logistics of moving. We are supposed to be moving to Auckland in 8 weeks and I don't really know how this moving thing works.

So when the shippers come ?a few days before we leave, do we sleep on airbeds in our own home, then pack them, take them on a plane and live in a motel for a week or more. Then rent a house and use our airbeds until our beds arrive from the UK?

I am just wondering how this works. And what do people do for bedding, pillows etc... do you use sleeping bags which you take on the plane?

Also, is it possible to rent a house in Auckland from the UK before we get there having not seen it? What do people normally do? How does this normally work?

Sorry to ask such a numpty question but I need to start somewhere!

Thanks for any tips
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Default Re: Some basic qs, sorry!

Youve said exactly what Ive been thinking about and planning in my head esp with having kids. Hope you get some good feedback so I can get some tips to!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Don,t apologise that,s what we are here for. It,s going to be weeks before you see your container so plan on buying a bed here or trying to rent furnished for a bit, you can rent before you get here but i would come and have a look first some of the property can be pretty basic so plan on spending the first week in a motel.

Keep asking away, Neil
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need all the room you can in your suitcases for clothes and other stuff. I wouldn't worry being without air beds, bedding in the UK and trying to carry it with you would be a nightmare. If staying with someone is not an option, beg, steal or borrow what you need to get by, or better still stay in hotel / go to caravan park whatever you can until you fly, then buy some cheap bedding / pillows and airbeds when you get here.

Book into hotel / motel / holiday park when you get here and look for rental house / apartment as soon as you can. Don't look at rentals from the UK some are awful and you need to see them before committing

The Warehouse will be your friend for the first few weeks.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/?g...FUYYHAodvSb6YQ
Old Jul 9th 2011, 1:50 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi when we came out 7 years ago we booked into a holiday park and stayed there for 2 weeks until we found a rental.
If I was you I would book it soon as the rugby world cup will be here the time you are on about arriving and it will be difficult trying to get somewhere booked.

As for renting a house wait until you are in Auckland as some of the houses are cold and damp and crap basically.

When we were waiting for our container we just bought blow up beds from a shop called The Warehouse.Also have a look on Trademe Nz equivalent of E-Bay for any other bits you might need until you wait for your container as things are very expensive here and not good quality.

There is a holiday park in Birkenhead Northshore called The Fernz which is really nice.But be prepared for the astronomical price you are going to be quoted as they are upping all the rates for the world cup.Greedy *****.

If you need any more information just ask away.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Similar to others - we stayed with family in the UK once our stuff had been shipped and then found (from the UK) temporary furnished accomodation in Auckland for the first month. Once we rented we bought airbeds, cheap bedding and kitchen supplies from The Warehouse to use until our container arrived.

I really wouldn't recommend trying to rent somewhere before you get here - best to see them before you commit. There are some real awful rentals around
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Husband & pusscats had already flown away. I slept on a friend's floor after the house was packed up. Beware! They will pack anything and everything so don't stand still for too long if you don't want yourself boxed .

If you can't stay with friends or family, book yourselves into a caravan or similar.

When husband arrived he booked into a cheap motel and cased the area for a reasonable rental. You really do need to physically check the rentals out. We were lent linen and a few bits and bobs by the landlord. It was partially funished. A chair. A table etc. We bought things we needed from the Warehouse cheap.

Container took 6 weeks to arrive.

If you don't fancy a cheap motel unit , then book a holiday home for a week or so and treat that as your Welcome To New Zealand holiday.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Busymumto3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks for all those tips, they are really helpful. I have had a quick look online at the 'Warehouse' shop a few people mentioned, is it like Ikea i.e. one regional big store that we will need to get public transport to (as won't have a car at the beginning) or are there a few stores dotted about Auckland?

Also, stupid question but as we won't have a car, can we do internet grocery shopping and have it delivered?

Natalie
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

There's a Warehouse near to, or within, most shopping centres including Downtown in the CBD. I wouldn't put it anywhere near to Ikea in scale or quality and nothing you could quite compare it to in the UK, maybe larger scale Wilkinsons crossed with Woolworths. We're definitely talking low-end but you should find all that you need to get you started..

Without knowing where you're heading initially its' hard to say about shops. If you're staying in the CBD there are a couple of supermarkets within walking distance, or at least within a cab / bus ride. You could hire a car when you get here, we did for the first two weeks, as you'll need to get around to look at cars and rental properties.

Really you shouldn't stress about food shopping, just have to treat the first week or so as a holiday and act accordingly, eat out and not worry about doing any major shopping for food until you've found your rental. You'll just need some basics: tea, coffee, bread, milk etc which you can get at any little shop to start off with. Depends on where you're staying, but you probably won't have much cooking facilities and you'll be too knackered for cooking anything other than toast.

There's only one supermarket that does online shopping: http://shop.countdown.co.nz/?banner=www

If you're renting a serviced apartment in town, you should have washing machine and tumble driers. You can get toiletries and cleaning / laundry stuff also at The Warehouse.

I seem to remember we ended up in the Downtown Warehouse at least once a day for the first two weeks we were here. Sometimes just for entertainment to gawp in amazement at the things they had.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 6 weeks and because we are sharing a container it's delayed in setting off, it actually sets off tomorrow. So we're in a 3 bed house that's almost empty. We bought a TV, bed settee, cutlery, plates etc and 2 radiators. We flew with Singapore Airlines and got double baggage allowance so brought bedding etc. Once here people are very helpful lending you things, I'm not really missing anything to be honest, could do with a fridge and Hoover but we're getting by.

Wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:09 am
`

Originally Posted by Busymumto3
Ok, thanks for all those tips, they are really helpful. I have had a quick look online at the 'Warehouse' shop a few people mentioned, is it like Ikea
Noooo . It will get you by though.

Also, stupid question but as we won't have a car, can we do internet grocery shopping and have it delivered?

Natalie
Depending on where you are , I would hope there would be a bit of a 4 square ( corner shop type jobby) or something not too far away.

Are you not thinking of getting a hire car for the first couple of weeks then to get yourselves around.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

I was thinking about sending items to wherever we are renting initially or to the home of people we know there. My worry is needing a travel cot toys air beds car seats for x2 little ones. Alternatively I would appeal to any kind people on this forum!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:23 am
`

Originally Posted by Scousebird
I was thinking about sending items to wherever we are renting initially or to the home of people we know there. My worry is needing a travel cot toys air beds car seats for x2 little ones. Alternatively I would appeal to any kind people on this forum!
Toys ! You will use the Toy Library.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Toys ! You will use the Toy Library.
Sound I'll make a note of them. I think Plunkett let you hire car seats to. I was thinking of taking a travel booster seat and pricing up whether it will cost more to buy new items ie air beds bedding etc against a small parcel being sent out. Just some thoughts.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
We flew with Singapore Airlines and got double baggage allowance so brought bedding etc.
Hi, Can I ask how you managed to get the double baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines?

Cheers, Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.