Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Software Engineering in NZ

Software Engineering in NZ

Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Question Software Engineering in NZ

Hi,

I have a Software Engineering degree and have been working for a large electronic publishing company for the past 8 years. I'm currently looking into the possibility of emigrating to NZ (Christchurch area).

The first thing I want to do is find out what sort of salary I can expect over there. I know that it will be much lower than here in the UK, but it seems that none of the NZ job sites advertise any salary range with their jobs.

I am a senior Software Engineer, with experience of UNIX, Windows, C, C++ (inclusing visual C++), JAVA, Perl, XSLT, JSP, struts, web services and lots more. Can anyone give me any idea at all at what I'd be looking at earning in NZ?

Any help much appreciated!

Regards

donnynz
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:36 pm
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Software Engineering in NZ

Originally Posted by donnynz
Hi,

I have a Software Engineering degree and have been working for a large electronic publishing company for the past 8 years. I'm currently looking into the possibility of emigrating to NZ (Christchurch area).

The first thing I want to do is find out what sort of salary I can expect over there. I know that it will be much lower than here in the UK, but it seems that none of the NZ job sites advertise any salary range with their jobs.

I am a senior Software Engineer, with experience of UNIX, Windows, C, C++ (inclusing visual C++), JAVA, Perl, XSLT, JSP, struts, web services and lots more. Can anyone give me any idea at all at what I'd be looking at earning in NZ?

Any help much appreciated!

Regards

donnynz

60 - 80K ball park for perm. 50-65$ an hour contract rates.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
60 - 80K ball park for perm. 50-65$ an hour contract rates.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnynz
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
I think you'd been looking at more than that dependant on experience. try

http://seek.co.nz
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:57 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I think you'd been looking at more than that dependant on experience. try

http://seek.co.nz
Doubt it. Most programmers get around that figure (unless I have been conned for the last 5 years :curse: ).

My last contract was 55$ an hour (to start). My last permanent position was 65K. I would consider myself a pretty clued up coder having 10 years experience.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:16 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

There are salary surveys that cover Auckland and Wellington on http://www.hays.com.au/salary/