Reload this Page >

Software Developer ... HELP!

Software Developer ... HELP!

Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

ashafrance is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Software Developer ... HELP!

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a predicament as to what to do and hoping you lovely people can help me out. It's the age old Auckland vs Wellington debate. However, I am a kiwi (my partner is not) and I am veering more towards Wellington.

My partner is a Software Engineer/Developer and ideally looking for work in Java or PHP. Particularly data analysis, data mining, web mining, large scale data stores. I was advised by a friend in Auckland (who works in the same field) that the majority of this work was based in Auckland, not Wellington. So my question is, does anyone know about the job market for this in Wellington and if there many jobs out there? Are any of you in the same boat? Or know of any companioes looking for (very good and hardworking) developers? Any advice would be muchly muchly appreciated xx
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

elaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really nice
Default Re: Software Developer ... HELP!

Originally Posted by ashafrance
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a predicament as to what to do and hoping you lovely people can help me out. It's the age old Auckland vs Wellington debate. However, I am a kiwi (my partner is not) and I am veering more towards Wellington.

My partner is a Software Engineer/Developer and ideally looking for work in Java or PHP. Particularly data analysis, data mining, web mining, large scale data stores. I was advised by a friend in Auckland (who works in the same field) that the majority of this work was based in Auckland, not Wellington. So my question is, does anyone know about the job market for this in Wellington and if there many jobs out there? Are any of you in the same boat? Or know of any companioes looking for (very good and hardworking) developers? Any advice would be muchly muchly appreciated xx
My son does similar work in Christchurch but found it hard to get a job 7 years ago. Try Christchurch council
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:52 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Software Developer ... HELP!

Dont want to state the obvious but you looked on Seek ? (www.seek.co.nz)
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi,

My hubby is a Software Developer and before we came out to NZ, he was finding most of the jobs in his field were in Auckland. We did do a 2 week recce before we moved out here and most of his interviews were in Auckland, although he did have a job offer in Wellington too. We chose Auckland, which we have now found is more expensive to live than Wellington but hubby is very happy in his job.

He found his job using www.seek.co.nz

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

My company in Auckland has recruited 4 java developers over the last couple of weeks. PM sent.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys,

Yep we have been keeping an eye on SEEK. Unfortunately the majority are definitely in Auckland and I have been accepted to study in Wellington so kind of need to find something in Wellington which is a bit trickier.

Apart from SEEK, trademe etc are there any other websites you have used for jobs in IT/Software? Or do you have any ideas of companies/recruitment agencies in Wellington?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:15 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same position, but unfortunately so similar that I can't give you any advice!

I've noticed more opportunities in Auckland, but I guess that's obvious really as it is roughly three times larger and I guess quite a lot of the work in Wellington is government related and administrative.

We were originally planning to go to Wellington as we are more familiar with it. Now we are unsure. My partner (who is a nurse) has seen more vacancies in Auckland and applied for some - though it seems she can work more or less where she pleases!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

WhingingPom - wow we are ridiculously similar, I will be a nurse soon too! haha.

So much for "in demand" these skills I guess we will just keep sending emails to recruitment agencies and see how we get on! Thank ya anyway. Fingers crossed you can find something too! Best of luck wherever you may end up