Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So.., tell us about the South Island?

So.., tell us about the South Island?

Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So.., tell us about the South Island?

Originally Posted by cinderella
What school do they teach at?
My son is at Kings school, Dunedin.
don't know the name of the schools in Invercargill:-)
H.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:04 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottish
What NZ or the bungalow capital of NZ (Invercargill) LOL.

I had the displeasure of living in NZ and have just returned home to Scotland. We lived in the North Island, Auckland for a month then moved on. We visited CHCH too and to me it could of been any city in the UK.

If you want specifics on cost of living etc pls feel free to PM me or search the other site that I gave you. I cant comment on schooling Im afraid but again the other site or possibly some other members can be you an opinion.

Not to dishearten you but if you read Returning to Uk part of this forum some people who have just left NZ, some after a year or so and some alot longer, they have talked about schooling etc.

IMO you live in a wonderful part of Scotland, so Im not too sure your reasons for wanting to move to NZ. It took us leaving Scotland to realise that we have a beautiful country here that has alot going for it.

Our reasons for leaving vary from cost of living to exams changes with one of the trades organisations, basically they changed the rules and we couldnt afford to sit new exam format. There are other reasons but if you want them pm me. I dont want to get into any slanging matches on this forum, and if I mention them someone will have a pop, guaranteed.
Read some of my old posts too. I am currently in Alberta Canada after staying with some friends for a week before going back to the UK. Its been -20 here, but, we are nice and warm in the homes here. Houses in NZ in a milder climate and we were freezing our butts off due to poor insulation etc. The difference between the two countries is amazing. Don't get me wrong, NZ is beautiful but its the standard of living that counts. Just remeber you cannot eat sceanery. Oh and the cost of living in Canada is WAY cheaper than NZ, the houses are cheaper and better in every way. Every day items are cheaper like food and consumer goods too. Check out the proprty prices on the net to see. Dig deep and hard and look at ALL the posts
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 6:00 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cinderella
DeeDee lives in Queenstown, not Gore, totally different climate. Very cold with snow in the winter and hot / dry in the summer. But if I remember correctly Nelson has the best climate and the most sunshine hours each year in the whole of NZ.
Maybe DD can clarify this one but he told me he came from Gore, so much so when friends of ours went to Gore for the day he met them on his push bike... then again maybe he cycled from Queenstown.

Either way it all what evers LOL

ps according to a few people as well Blenheim is the sunshine capital of NZ but heh I lived in the North Island and it rained alot ha ha
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

feralamber is an unknown quantity at this point

Help!!

Am more confused than ever!! But have definately taken off any rose tinted glasses!!

We are not the type of family to take things lying down, we spent a while in a caravan, ( a V. small caravan) with me doing laundry by hand every day, so we're quite tough

Just wondering to what people thought of $17 dollars and 60 hours a week?? Too much? Yes us too!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by feralamber

Just wondering to what people thought of $17 dollars and 60 hours a week?? Too much? Yes us too!
My OH has just choked on his coffee... what would you be working as?

My OH earned $17.50/hour as a qualified vehicle technician (mechanic), tough working conditions etc. etc. etc. ... he was losing the will to live doing 40 hours per week.. he'd have killed himself doing 60!

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:15 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scottish
Maybe DD can clarify this one but he told me he came from Gore, so much so when friends of ours went to Gore for the day he met them on his push bike... then again maybe he cycled from Queenstown.

Either way it all what evers LOL

ps according to a few people as well Blenheim is the sunshine capital of NZ but heh I lived in the North Island and it rained alot ha ha
There is no DD listed as a member on this forum, but there is a deedee who's profile says farmer nr Queenstown.

deedee
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Re the rain on the north island, maybe you should have gone down to the south where the people are nicer and yopu could have missed some of that rain. OH and also looked at a few bungalow houses at the same time.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 8:35 pm
Deb+Chris

Don't understand the big deal here but Deedee (the farmer who lives near Queenstown) definately DOES live in GORE... loves it there too.

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:04 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cinderella]There is no DD listed as a member on this forum, but there is a deedee who's profile says farmer nr Queenstown.

deedee
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

QUOTE]

He has recently lived half a year in both places. His Gore farm is being left to become organic, so he's been doing some work on a station nr Q'town.

I'm another who grew up near Invercargill, and no longer choose to live there. It gets a bit of unwarranted criticism in the media, but is a fairly nice place in all. Bit flat for me personally. Closest city to the best scenery in NZ (Fiordland, Catlins, Stewart Is, Central - take your pick.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:21 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Don't understand the big deal here but Deedee (the farmer who lives near Queenstown) definately DOES live in GORE... loves it there too.
Well he has obviously moved from what you are all saying.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:58 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Hi, what was the question again?
Yes i do live in Gore and near Queenstown.We currently have three places, one happens to be a farm on the QT/Central high country, a farm near Gore and a lifestyle block in Gore.....just incase anyone was even slightly interested.Also, i do love both locations considerably.....and yes i do cycle between the two places quite often
I've lived in Cumbria, North Yorkshire and the Cairngorms(oh, and Cambridge)so i feel i have a fair feel for the UK to compare here with there.Been here in NZ for little over 3 years
Its great ere' innit'
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
My OH has just choked on his coffee... what would you be working as?

My OH earned $17.50/hour as a qualified vehicle technician (mechanic), tough working conditions etc. etc. etc. ... he was losing the will to live doing 40 hours per week.. he'd have killed himself doing 60!
My OH is a mechanic, or patrolman as he prefers!! If I remember rightly you guys came back here (UK) ?? Uhmm. Lots to think about!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:20 am
Deb+Chris

My OH is a mechanic, or patrolman as he prefers!! If I remember rightly you guys came back here (UK) ?? Uhmm. Lots to think about!!
Yes, we got back at the end of Jan. Your OH may find his conditions there different to Chris (who hated every single day).. he tried two garages.. both the same really.

He's back now working in Manchester, finding it too easy now even though he's working more hours per day (he is doing 2hrs O/T a day here) he definately couldn't have worked a 10 hr day in NZ.. :scared: He misses nothing about NZ.. he's a different man now we're back.. I can't wipe the smile off his face.

Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:58 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

This is for anyone that may be able to offer some guidance.

My husband has recently been offered a job with a company called FW McDowall. First thing, is there any other people who are working for this company and can give us an idea of they way they are.

Second thing is that the proposed area of living is Invercargill, Winton, Gore areas of Southland region. We would really like to get some idea as to whether the indication of "improved lifestyle" does really come through. I.e. can we partake in activities easier and are they more accessable or just as accessable as here.

We currently live in Inverness so we are well aware of how far some places can be to get to, therefore are not scared of travelling.

Also we have 2 kids aged 5 and 7, and were wondering about schooling and acceptability.

Any opinions are welcome as we need the impartiality!!

Thanks in advance,

Colin and Amber
Invercargill is nice. It's flat and not far from bluff and therefore Stewart island.
The locals are okay.
Gore and Winton are a bit away from it all (esp Gore). I'd pick Invercargill over the other two, and Winton over Gore.

Dunedin is nice but too far to commute daily to these other places, uless the company is paying for a daily flight there and back.

Invercargill is at least a pleasant enough city and Mick jagger got it wrong when he said it was the asshole of the world, that title belongs to Perth, Australia
Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:09 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWW
Invercargill is a provincial town, population around 50,000. People who have lived there profess to like it but have still left. Gore is a fishing port and has a reputation of attracting a certain 'weathered' type of person. The climate is about the worst in NZ....the same as London with less rain but more wind.

However, you are only a short hop from the Lakes area, that is Queenstown, Wanaka etc and the scenery outside of the main towns is stunning. An ideal spot if you're into trout fishing, horse riding etc. Houses are also very cheap.

I would suggest agreeing to a short term contract, seeing if you like it and moving north to Christchurch if you dont. You will like Christchurch.
Christchurch is nice, most people friendly but has ongoing problems with gangsand other low lifes and sporadic episodes of violence in the city at night now.
Don't know I'd live there ever again: its half yuppy half hoon
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwichild

Invercargill is at least a pleasant enough city and Mick jagger got it wrong when he said it was the asshole of the world, that title belongs to Perth, Australia
Think that is a bit unfair!! Lived in a suburb of Perth called Kwinana, for about 5 years and loved it!! However was at school at the time in Safety Bay, so that could account for this!!

Don't suppose you have been to Inverness, Achany or Golspie lately?? Now these are places worthy of that title!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.