Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So if I move from the UK to NZ....

So if I move from the UK to NZ....

Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So if I move from the UK to NZ....

Originally Posted by bookemjano
We're viewing it as a 'suck it and see' experience - going over, giving it six months, see how we feel and if we want to stay we'll buy a house and put down roots. If we're undecided at six months we'll give it another six. Could you afford, both financially and emotionally, to do it that way?
It def takes 1 year to settle, my first 6 months in the UK I used to take my youngest to school, get back into bed and cry.
It took a real effort for me to realise that it was up to me to get out and make some friends and a life. I found everyone in the UK very unfriendly, then I realised that they don't need new friends as they already have them, it's me that has to make the big effort. Now I have a group of lovely friends that I will miss very much when we leave. Came to a head last night when my youngest staying 3 hours away had a diabetic crisis and was taken to hospital, lovely friend arrived in 10 mins to stay with the others so we could get to the hospital. Good friends are hard to come by but if you are a good friend to them they are there.
KAZ
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot my good news, my neice phoned me from Aus this morning. I AM GOING TO BE A GREAT AUNTY!!
CAN'T WAIT
Kaz
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:40 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Forgot my good news, my neice phoned me from Aus this morning. I AM GOING TO BE A GREAT AUNTY!!
CAN'T WAIT
Kaz
Congratulations - that's really good news. Hope it all goes smoothly for her.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Then you have to work out which one thing is your priority and decide which country has the most chance of you been able to meet that priority. This could be personal safety, political reasons, education, work, lifestyle, environmental, or finance, whatever, any one of those things could be more important to you personally than the others. Is this priority being met now? Can you reach this goal where you are? In 20 years time will you be any nearer to it if you stay put? For us, it's our kids futures, we don't want them in the UK as we think it's going to go worse and worse. So we want to give NZ a go, see if we feel it would be any better, even marginally. Once we'd identified that priority the rest of the decision making was easy.

I know this is all so easy for me to say, not being in your shoes, so I wish you the best of luck in it.

Jan
Hi Jan,

I know what you mean and thank you for your advice. I lost my job in Cardiff and now work Mon-Friday in Surrey because I couldn't find more work in Wales. Unfortunately I would have to borrow big, even after we have sold our house in Wales, to live in Surrey permanently.

The price of housing in Britain on the whole has reached madness proportions - and is bound to crash anytime soon!

We (Lynn & I) took a view that now (if we are going to ever do it) is the time to make a change in our lives - we are just not certain where....but Auckland/NZ figures big in MY plans.

One bit of good news we got today is that our eldest has passed his A-LEVELS! I am so pleased for him.

Thanks

Steve
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:33 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Jan,

I know what you mean and thank you for your advice. I lost my job in Cardiff and now work Mon-Friday in Surrey because I couldn't find more work in Wales. Unfortunately I would have to borrow big, even after we have sold our house in Wales, to live in Surrey permanently.

The price of housing in Britain on the whole has reached madness proportions - and is bound to crash anytime soon!

We (Lynn & I) took a view that now (if we are going to ever do it) is the time to make a change in our lives - we are just not certain where....but Auckland/NZ figures big in MY plans.

One bit of good news we got today is that our eldest has passed his A-LEVELS! I am so pleased for him.

Thanks

Steve
Congratulations to your son - great news!

We're not going over with much money, just enough to put a deposit down on a house, or to use if we have to return so we're lucky that we do have a kind of safety net. We wouldn't have that much money if not for the housing market, but we're getting it now before it does crash and we're left with very little.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:10 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Then you have to work out which one thing is your priority and decide which country has the most chance of you been able to meet that priority. This could be personal safety, political reasons, education, work, lifestyle, environmental, or finance, whatever, any one of those things could be more important to you personally than the others. Is this priority being met now? Can you reach this goal where you are? In 20 years time will you be any nearer to it if you stay put? For us, it's our kids futures, we don't want them in the UK as we think it's going to go worse and worse. So we want to give NZ a go, see if we feel it would be any better, even marginally. Once we'd identified that priority the rest of the decision making was easy.

I know this is all so easy for me to say, not being in your shoes, so I wish you the best of luck in it.

Jan
Hi Jan,

Gosh you've really thought it through long term. I therefore wondered how your kids feel about the move then, and how you will feel if they come back to the UK before/after uni (likely if they've got the passports?) and if they don't come back to NZ? Or is it simply that you don't honestly know and are willing to take the risk?

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Aug 18th 2005 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Jan,

Gosh you've really thought it through long term. I therefore wondered how your kids feel about the move then, and how you will feel if they come back to the UK before/after uni (highly likely I would think if they've got the passports?) and if they don't come back to NZ? Or is it simply that you don't honestly know and are willing to take the risk?
The eldest, Chris, does not take to change very well, and really this couldn't be a worse time for him. He was very badly bullied in his school for a few years, took us ages to get him into a new one, but he has really settled in it and made loads of friends. But we've talked a lot about it before making the decision and he himself has always been able to see that this country has problems. He's very politically and socially aware for his age and can debate all sorts better than I can. We discussed his future here, the positives as well as the negatives, and what we believed NZ had to offer, and then left him to choose. If he'd have said a definite no, we wouldn't have gone yet, we'd have waited at least another year for him to finish his GCSEs and then decide, but he slowly but surely got more positive about it then said yes (huge relief!). He's now all for it, can't wait for it. He's worried about saying goodbye (even now he's at his Gran's, determined to cram in as much time as possible with her before we go), worried about starting a new school, but pretty positive about the whole thing as well. He's committed to doing at least a year there, is definitely happy to do that and get his NZ quals, then it's entirely up to him if he wants to come back if we're staying there. I'd never stop him, even if I could. But, he's very musical, I think NZ is going to be great for him.

Helen, age 12, just can't wait - running round squealing with the excitement of it all. She's dead sporty - another great thing about NZ, she'll fit right in. I can't see her coming back, her ambition is to be a choreographer (next week she'll be wanting to be something else!)

Chalk and cheese my kids!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:54 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The eldest, Chris, does not take to change very well, and really this couldn't be a worse time for him. He was very badly bullied in his school for a few years, took us ages to get him into a new one, but he has really settled in it and made loads of friends. But we've talked a lot about it before making the decision and he himself has always been able to see that this country has problems. He's very politically and socially aware for his age and can debate all sorts better than I can. We discussed his future here, the positives as well as the negatives, and what we believed NZ had to offer, and then left him to choose. If he'd have said a definite no, we wouldn't have gone yet, we'd have waited at least another year for him to finish his GCSEs and then decide, but he slowly but surely got more positive about it then said yes (huge relief!). He's now all for it, can't wait for it. He's worried about saying goodbye (even now he's at his Gran's, determined to cram in as much time as possible with her before we go), worried about starting a new school, but pretty positive about the whole thing as well. He's committed to doing at least a year there, is definitely happy to do that and get his NZ quals, then it's entirely up to him if he wants to come back if we're staying there. I'd never stop him, even if I could. But, he's very musical, I think NZ is going to be great for him.

Helen, age 12, just can't wait - running round squealing with the excitement of it all. She's dead sporty - another great thing about NZ, she'll fit right in. I can't see her coming back, her ambition is to be a choreographer (next week she'll be wanting to be something else!)

Chalk and cheese my kids!
Thanks for that Jan. We have chalk and cheese as well, interestingly our eldest is also the one we'd worry the most about settling also. However she's only 5, but already very aware that she gets 'scared' in new situations. Thankfully she is very bright academically speaking so that helps her confidence, and also mature for her age so we are starting to talk things through now which is great. She also really tries to overcome these huge hurdles which is such a good attitude to have. She is 5 going on 35.

Oops, could natter on for ages, but must get the little-ones bathed & ready for collecting hubbie at the station. Remember those days?
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your son - great news!

We're not going over with much money, just enough to put a deposit down on a house, or to use if we have to return so we're lucky that we do have a kind of safety net. We wouldn't have that much money if not for the housing market, but we're getting it now before it does crash and we're left with very little.

Thanks for the congrats.

The 'deposit' plan sounds a good one in case things don't work out.

Steve
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:42 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Jan,

Thanks

Steve
Congratulations It's the nicest feeling in the world that.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 9:53 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
CAN'T WAIT
Kaz
Congrats Kaz isnt that exciting news

I became a great aunty for the first time last month & now I know what my sister felt like when my son made her a great aunty...Im loving it & so l ucky I get to see him every week too. Neice comes from a family of girls & as I had 3 sons she is always asking me advice but I havent had the heart to tell her at this age they are all pretty much the same, I just like being involved so I will keep that part secret for a while longer
Old Aug 20th 2005, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by shepslady
I havent had the heart to tell her at this age they are all pretty much the same, I just like being involved so I will keep that part secret for a while longer
That is so sweet Cindy. Chuffed for you! Carmen.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: So if I move from the UK to NZ....

We are just back from a 3 week planning trip. We're in Birmingham in UK and I work in London a lot too. Auckland is no big deal .. really well laid out and if you avoid the bridge rush then the commute is easy. IT jobs are available and the lifestyle choice is what promted the trip.. we were not disapointed, so now just need to sell the house, cars and get over there!

Rad