Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Snow Birds - but not Spring Chickens

Snow Birds - but not Spring Chickens

Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Pagan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snow Birds - but not Spring Chickens

Hello everyone - we are about to make the big leap - albeit on a part time basis, to N.Z. We are to become what the kiwi's refer to as Snow Birds - summer here and summer N.Z. Exciting - Scary and at the moment buried under almost 20 years of 'things', you know - things you keep in case they might be useful - but never are. So the charity shops and skips are being well fed at the moment.

The only down side - we have discovered we will have to pay customs/GST on the possessions we are shipping, as we do not have resident visas. We have to wait two years until our son can apply for us to join him and his lovely family.

But heh its a beautiful country and we are looking forward to this new phase in our lives.

We are enjoying reading the threads for hints and tips.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Re: Snow Birds - but not Spring Chickens

Sounds great - best of both worlds, but twice the expense?
Will you stay with your son over there or do intend buying a place? Where does he live? God - I sound sooooo nosy!!

Good luck with it anyway and its great that you seem so positive about it all
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi - thank for your good wishes. Yes we hope to buy, some where small on both continents - I always knew there was a reason to have a lot of shoes! Son and family live half an hour out side Christchurch - they love it - had a few initial homesicky minutes but settled in really well and have lots of new friends.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pagan
Hi - thank for your good wishes. Yes we hope to buy, some where small on both continents - I always knew there was a reason to have a lot of shoes! Son and family live half an hour out side Christchurch - they love it - had a few initial homesicky minutes but settled in really well and have lots of new friends.
Hi I hope goes well!! All the info you will need is on here somewhere, and if it isn't someone will know
We're hoping to go in approx 2 years so we've been doing our homework, but I don't want to leave my parents, but we have sat down with them and they have been great about it by saying that it'll be a better life for us and our daughters but then I see a tear in my mums eyesThey said that they will be over to see us as they are ready for retirement which is all well and good but what happens when they are unable to travel all that way, who will look after them then ooooh I hate all of this:curse:
I think they should be having a chat with you, cause what your doing sounds ideal for both you and your family in NZ!!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:58 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pagan

The only down side - we have discovered we will have to pay customs/GST on the possessions we are shipping, as we do not have resident visas. We have to wait two years until our son can apply for us to join him and his lovely family.
What are you shipping that has you paying GST?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Snow Birds - but not Spring Chickens

[F]
Originally Posted by Animal Crackers
[F]Hi I hope goes well!! All the info you will need is on here somewhere, and if it isn't someone will know
We're hoping to go in approx 2 years so we've been doing our homework, but I don't want to leave my parents, but we have sat down with them and they have been great about it by saying that it'll be a better life for us and our daughters but then I see a tear in my mums eyesThey said that they will be over to see us as they are ready for retirement which is all well and good but what happens when they are unable to travel all that way, who will look after them then ooooh I hate all of this:curse:
I think they should be having a chat with you, cause what your doing sounds ideal for both you and your family in NZ!!

Hi There - I know how your Mum is feeling - its a case of knowing we want the best for you but hoping it was not so far away. We went through the same thing too.

We were lucky, in that when our son decided to make the move, they wanted us to join them, if that was our wish too. As he is our only child the decision making was easier, although we have other family here.

We also want to be independent and hopefully make new friends too, but it will be wonderful to be closer and see them all again.

Good luck with your plans and I hope all goes well for you.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happynz
What are you shipping that has you paying GST?

Hi - we are shipping household furniture and clothes etc, clothes apparently should be ok - but furniture electricals etc will impose customs duty and GST on that. But we seem unable to get a definitive answer on amounts from Customs.
:
Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi and welcome to the forum,

We moved here 3 months ago and love it here,we live in Rangiora 25 mins from CHC,and made lots of friends too!!

Good luck with your move!

Helen