Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

sleepless in smethwick

sleepless in smethwick

Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

sonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant future
Question sleepless in smethwick

Hello all,

We are lucky enough to be coming over to Tauranga in January. I have a job at Tauranga hospital and whilst I am very excited, I am getting a bit worried that it may be difficult for my husband to get work also.

He is a carpenter and has 5 years experience (no official qualifications).

We have realised that a nursing salary will not support us both and are getting worried that we might struggle financially.

Im thinking its a little too early to email construction companies just yet, but we really wanted to get an idea of what the possibilities would be of him finding a job in Tauranga. Can anyone help?

We are sooooo excited although understanderably anxious and we dont want to let our neuroses get in the way of the big adventure!

We seem to go from really excited, frenetic activity to "oh my god what are we thinking of"!!! I think this is normal....but its so weird!!

I think reading other expat websites doesnt help....they can be so negative. This one is a lot more positive!

We are turning into mentalists!!!

Anyway, sorry for rambling, hope someone can help

Michelle and Phil
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: sleepless in smethwick

Well, we went from excited to "oh boy" lots of times. It has worked well for us here so far. I can't tell you about your partners prospects. It would be tough for many to provide too much assurance.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

sonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant futuresonicbang has a brilliant future

Hi can2nz,

Am glad to know that what we are feeling is normal. Its also good to know that you get through it

Yes you are right, I think it would be difficult to get reassurance,
I think when you feel anxious you want answers to all the potential problems..but that just isnt real life!

Thanks for your reply
xx
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm not in Tauranga but I'd hope your hubby will find work . Houses here are timber framed for starters. The economy may be slowing a bit, but folk always need good tradesmen.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your job offer. Tauranga is a lovely city. There has been a definite drop off in residential building work in the region. One local building company has just gone into liquidation.(Rutherford Homes ) Others are rumoured to be on the verge of bankruptcy also . Its an anxious time for many in the building trade. Perhaps things will be humming again by January. I don't like to be negative - but its good to be realistic too. All the best.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where on earth is Smethwick?

Hey sonicbang

Just did a www.seek.co.nz for carpenter and got bugger all back................but does not mean to say they are not out there!

Also has your husband considered setting up as a handy-man type person?

I used to know a couple of chappies in Auckland and they were inundated with jobbies and I don't think there was a single qualification among them.

I don't know if there are any other handy man chappies on this shallow web site that may be able to advise you.

Just a thought.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default sleepless in smethwick

Blimey Sir Oswald Mosley used to be an MP there!!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

I would not worry if I was you - your hubby is in the very best trade for NZ and it is the experience rather than quals companies / potential clients will be looking for. As you will no doubt already know from reading the threads on BE that the NZ economy is slowing down, so you hubby's biggest worry will be competing in a shrinking job market, but providing he can show he is experienced (ie photos of previous work and references), I am sure he will be fine.

There are also many builders in the Tauranga district who are fronted by expats, like Gartshores. Also try Miden Construction and Fletchers. Also, why not let hubby start his own business? A few mailshots and adverts in the local rag may work wonders.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle and Phil,

Yes construction is down and there have been builders and developers slow down, lay off and even go bust. But there appear to still be some jobs available in the trade if you look hard enough!

I would recommend you try here;

http://www.priorityone.co.nz/ register with them and you can get a fortnightly email of locally advertised jobs from the Bay of Plenty Times to give you an idea.

Also try www.tradestaff.co.nz

I would also suggest maybe approaching some of the bigger building companies locally by way of emailing a CV a couple of weeks prior to arriving and then making telephone or face to face contact when you get here, In my experience they will respond better to this than letters or emails.

Some that spring to mind are;

G J Gardiner
Golden Homes
Harwood Homes (David Harwood)
Paradise Homes
Landmark Homes
Signature Homes
(Can you see a theme developing here ... )
David Reid Homes
Smith & Sons (Building renovators)

Construction wise one of the largest locally and the most visable seems to be a company called Riddel (Riddle?) Construction. They are not currently hiring for the Tauranga bridge extension though.

Use www.whitepages.co.nz for contact details.

Hope this helps a little?

It's a great area to live.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Hey.....thanks for all your replies. They were really helpful

Will check out those construction companies nearer the time we go.

Smethwick is a lovely place by the way.....if you like pound shops and orange chips!!!

Thanks again

xx
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

jocktommo is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry, NZ is smiles better than Smethwick We moved from Brownhills 'by the cut' 7 months ago and after the normal culture shock, fitted in well and love life. Be under no illusion, life here really is different and it is expensive but there is not the greed or materialism that there is in the UK. As for your partner getting work, he will, my 6 year old son could build better than these guys so a decent Brit chippie will get work no probs. Don't be shocked by the poverty or executive sheds aka houses, I now love my draughty shed with log fire, who needs central heating and upvc double glazing. Go for it and good luck. P.s bring over some samosa's from that shop going from Smethwick down to Blackheath lol!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:26 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

In current climate, and without quals, am not sure your OH would get a carpenter job straight off (but most of the time its who you know here, not what you know), but he might have better luck looking for hammerhand vacancies (competent but not qualified carpenter), get a foot in the door so to speak and work onwards and upwards. Or he could do something completely different? school or rest home handyman? start own business, oddjobs, carpentry, etc. Don't worry too much, but it does help if you keep your options open and don't mind where you'll start on the ladder or are willing to try something different, menial etc. Least its money coming in and gets you out and about and meeting people and making contacts - the more you do that, the more opportunities might come your way.

Good luck
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Oooooh samosas....they are so good in Smethwick!

We are starting to get excited now....the panic has worn off for now.

We cant wait to live in a country that doesnt focus on materialism and consumerism and our decision to move to NZ was influenced by that factor quite a bit. We are a pair of hippies at heart!

Anyway, thank you for your support and words of wisdom.

Tauranga here we come (and we will leave our neuroses behind, for now anyway!)
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks Teamembo!

Will certainly look at all the ideas you have suggested!

xx
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:18 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for other people in NZ for a few years and like in UK was not appreciaited, so i thought about starting my own business, i had worked in Roofing, Carpentry and various other trades that i thought i could use to multi skill in my own business, offer a one stop shop for customers.

So at first i started with the house rental companies, just one, and now after 1 year i have 3 of them to play with, i do every thing from Roofing, to Carpentry a wee bit of Plumbing, tap washers and wastes etc, painting and Decorationg, and just about anything else that comes along, people will always need reliable,honest Tradies, and if you can turn your hand to just about any thing, then the worlds your oyster in NZ, having a go attitude will help as well, i go to some jobs and think to my self can i really do it, but after some thought i usually do the job, but if you stick with quality and a good price you'll soon get a good reputation, just take on the Kiwi way and forget about saying " we used to do it like this in UK" about 99% of house are made of wood, so simple and easy to work with.

I'm sure if your husband looks around or does the pro active bit, of knocking on doors, one or more will soon open, unless they ask i wouldn't tell them straight away of how long you have been in NZ , first tell them you have been a Chippie for those years and go from there.

Any one with a bit of go and brains will go far in NZ, maybe he has some skills others dont have, look in the NZ Yellow pages and see whos about in that area, might be something thats missing he could start up himself.

Good luck with the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.