British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Skype Tips (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/skype-tips-755232/)

gingerdingo Apr 17th 2012 6:02 pm

Skype Tips

:fingerscrossed:Hi folks,

Has anyone had a skype interview ?

I have one scheduled for 9pm UK time on Friday evening - I think that is 8am Saturday in NZ .

Iam a skype virgin so any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

sparkie down under Apr 17th 2012 6:54 pm

Re: Skype Tips

there's been a previous thread on this, best have a read of that

pcmay10 Apr 17th 2012 7:11 pm

hi there,had my one and only one 3 weeks ago,very nervous and prepared like hell,but after 5 minutes i felt very at ease,i had surrounded myself with tech blurb but was not asked about any spcifics,i think it is an interview of you as a person,twee maybe,but i think they needed someone who can FIT in with what they already have,tips,try talking to friends or family on skype,ask them about the positioning of your pc, lighting,no clutter in background etc,also try and talk to the webcam as this improves eye contact for the interviewer, difficult as you will want to talk to the screen but try it,write down a few questions showing interest rather than quizing,you can ask everything else at the next stage ask for the interviewers tel no in case you lose skype connection,be positive you have got this far and good look,ps i got the job,starting in may...now the nervy bit really starts,,

Stormer999 Apr 17th 2012 7:26 pm

Borrow a laptop with camera so that you can practice at home and get used to the slight speech delay and not start over talking the interviewer. We did try positioning the camera in the middle of the pc screen to give direct eye contact but it didn't really work. Practice makes perfect......;)

SparkyGaz Apr 20th 2012 11:12 am

Originally Posted by gingerdingo (Post 10010749)
:fingerscrossed:Hi folks,

Has anyone had a skype interview ?

I have one scheduled for 9pm UK time on Friday evening - I think that is 8am Saturday in NZ .

Iam a skype virgin so any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

At least you got the time right.....that's a good start.
Good luck :thumbsup:

ellenarosemary Apr 20th 2012 6:36 pm

Make sure you test it first, and look at whats in the background behind you. If it looks cluttered etc get a screen or something similar and put right behind you, there is nothing more off putting for a potential employer than having clutter or moving people children etc behind you.

Also angle your camera so you look as though you are looking straight at the other person and not at an angle, as you would in a face to face interview.

Hope this helps.

gingerdingo Apr 24th 2012 7:16 am

Thanks for all the advice,

The sykpe interview went well , half way through the interview the volume on Skype crashed and we carried on with the landline phone and video from Skype.

Interview lasted for an hour and 10 mins and was conducted by a panel of two.

'How soon can you get here if successful ?' was always going to be tricky to answer,however lets hpoe they understand the logistics of it all !

Fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Apr 24th 2012 7:21 am

:fingerscrossed: when do you expect to hear back ?

gingerdingo Apr 24th 2012 7:41 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10022378)
:fingerscrossed: when do you expect to hear back ?

Now then, That's what I forgot to ask!!!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 24th 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds very promising Gingerdingo, :fingerscrossed:

Stormer999 Apr 25th 2012 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10023616)
Sounds very promising Gingerdingo, :fingerscrossed:

+2 :fingerscrossed:

gingerdingo Apr 27th 2012 11:07 am

Update folks,

Got an email, 'they are still thinking it over and will be intouch next week'.

What do we all think ?

ellenarosemary Apr 27th 2012 11:43 am

Offer to go out and meet them in person, shows commitment particularly if they arnt 100% sure - could mention either when they contact you or just say you were going over anyway!

gingerdingo Apr 27th 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10028416)
Offer to go out and meet them in person, shows commitment particularly if they arnt 100% sure - could mention either when they contact you or just say you were going over anyway!

Great idea. I will give it some thought over the weekend and send them an email on Sunday evening. This way they will open it Monday morning before they can make up their minds!! :thumbsup: