Skype Tips

Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

gingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the rough
Default Skype Tips

Hi folks,

Has anyone had a skype interview ?

I have one scheduled for 9pm UK time on Friday evening - I think that is 8am Saturday in NZ .

Iam a skype virgin so any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:54 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype Tips

there's been a previous thread on this, best have a read of that
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

hi there,had my one and only one 3 weeks ago,very nervous and prepared like hell,but after 5 minutes i felt very at ease,i had surrounded myself with tech blurb but was not asked about any spcifics,i think it is an interview of you as a person,twee maybe,but i think they needed someone who can FIT in with what they already have,tips,try talking to friends or family on skype,ask them about the positioning of your pc, lighting,no clutter in background etc,also try and talk to the webcam as this improves eye contact for the interviewer, difficult as you will want to talk to the screen but try it,write down a few questions showing interest rather than quizing,you can ask everything else at the next stage ask for the interviewers tel no in case you lose skype connection,be positive you have got this far and good look,ps i got the job,starting in may...now the nervy bit really starts,,
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:26 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Borrow a laptop with camera so that you can practice at home and get used to the slight speech delay and not start over talking the interviewer. We did try positioning the camera in the middle of the pc screen to give direct eye contact but it didn't really work. Practice makes perfect......
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by gingerdingo
Hi folks,

Has anyone had a skype interview ?

I have one scheduled for 9pm UK time on Friday evening - I think that is 8am Saturday in NZ .

Iam a skype virgin so any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
At least you got the time right.....that's a good start.
Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you test it first, and look at whats in the background behind you. If it looks cluttered etc get a screen or something similar and put right behind you, there is nothing more off putting for a potential employer than having clutter or moving people children etc behind you.

Also angle your camera so you look as though you are looking straight at the other person and not at an angle, as you would in a face to face interview.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

gingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the roughgingerdingo is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the advice,

The sykpe interview went well , half way through the interview the volume on Skype crashed and we carried on with the landline phone and video from Skype.

Interview lasted for an hour and 10 mins and was conducted by a panel of two.

'How soon can you get here if successful ?' was always going to be tricky to answer,however lets hpoe they understand the logistics of it all !

Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when do you expect to hear back ?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Skype Tips

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
when do you expect to hear back ?
Now then, That's what I forgot to ask!!!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very promising Gingerdingo,
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:14 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Sounds very promising Gingerdingo,
+2
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Update folks,

Got an email, 'they are still thinking it over and will be intouch next week'.

What do we all think ?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Offer to go out and meet them in person, shows commitment particularly if they arnt 100% sure - could mention either when they contact you or just say you were going over anyway!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Offer to go out and meet them in person, shows commitment particularly if they arnt 100% sure - could mention either when they contact you or just say you were going over anyway!
Great idea. I will give it some thought over the weekend and send them an email on Sunday evening. This way they will open it Monday morning before they can make up their minds!!