Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Skiing - Whakapapa

Skiing - Whakapapa

Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skiing - Whakapapa

We don't have a clue where is the best place to head for in the holidays for 5 days skiing with 4 kids? Want to be able to have some lessons and lessons for the kidlets, ski passes, possibly need to hire attractive, lime green clothing, stay somewhere with some apres-ski life etc, etc, etc? Thus far I can only find the Chateau for accommodation, I was thinking more log cabin, roaring fire and a chalet guy to cook, clean and massage my aches and pains away at the end of the day ...
Old Sep 16th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: Skiing - Whakapapa

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We don't have a clue where is the best place to head for in the holidays for 5 days skiing with 4 kids? Want to be able to have some lessons and lessons for the kidlets, ski passes, possibly need to hire attractive, lime green clothing, stay somewhere with some apres-ski life etc, etc, etc? Thus far I can only find the Chateau for accommodation, I was thinking more log cabin, roaring fire and a chalet guy to cook, clean and massage my aches and pains away at the end of the day ...
Hi

We went skiing on our recci about a month ago, still in pain and bruises to show

I booked over the web some accommodation in National Park about 2 miles from the whakapapa area, big mistake and rubbish, we didnt even get our bags from the car!! You must stay at the chateau, its the only place to stay, but you must book early, really early! They only have a few family rooms.
Then drive up to the skiing area and hire all your gear up there, dead easy.
Get up early though, you will need every minute possible!!
Not loads of life in whakapapa though.

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Loolah,

We went last holidays. Also syayed at the Chateau. I`ll call you later with prices etc

Ash
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

We were up there a few weekends ago (glorious!) however stayed in Ohukune which was fab.. little chalet (far more basic thatn your looking at) but location great for supermarket, restaurants, cafes and giant carrots. About 30 min drive to Whakapapa each day.. Hired locally and (actually from the Ski shop at the Chateau)

Ski school for kids starts over 6 years I think. Under that you will have to go to Queenstown
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:10 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

...and you can rent everything you need at the bottom of the lifts.
The rental shop does clothes, boots etc.
However, you'll be best off in 'kune if you want apres ski, and you can get the shuttle up the mountain instead of driving.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:42 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

You can get better deals on ski rental and clothing off the mountain, we stayed at Howards Lodge in National Park Township and it was great. We found a great place next door for English style breakfast cooked by would you believe a English person.
The cafe at Turoa is fantastic but not so good at Whakapapa when you compare it looks grubby and the New Lifts at Turoa are fantastic.

Last edited by Pete n Shell; Sep 19th 2007 at 7:47 am.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
You can get better deals on ski rental and clothing off the mountain, we stayed at Howards Lodge in National Park Township and it was great. We found a great place next door for English style breakfast cooked by would you believe a English person.
The cafe at Turoa is fantastic but not so good at Whakapapa when you compare it looks grubby and the New Lifts at Turoa are fantastic.
What do the ski instructors look like?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:40 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Depends on what your looking for I guess! Sking in the North is certainly a bit differant to the smaller club fields in the South Island, we miss going down to Treble Cone for a few weeks each year but since I took a transfer up to the North Island its a bit far to go now. Our friends had a crib in Wanaka they recently sold so we used to stay there. Club fields are so much friendlier than the commercial ski areas.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

cathdarke1 is an unknown quantity at this point

R u planning on breaking a leg and melting in their arms
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=cathdarke1;5331407]R u planning on breaking a leg and melting in their arms quote]

Wouldn't put it past her .............

And NO Robbie is not there. Do you know it's a year since we had the pleasure of seeing him in the flesh Quite miss him
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

cathdarke1 is an unknown quantity at this point

There may be a Robbie look-a-like And second thoughts probably not
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cathdarke1
There may be a Robbie look-a-like And second thoughts probably not
That's it I'm dieting and getting a new "do", full wax and subtle lighting, will then hit said slopes in full on black Chanel ski gear (A.K.A Mrs Beckham), stumble, breasticles first into Mr Williams crotch (or similiar looking ski instructor named, no doubt, Hans.)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:01 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

That's it I'm dieting and getting a new "do", full wax and subtle lighting, will then hit said slopes in full on black Chanel ski gear (A.K.A Mrs Beckham), stumble, breasticles first into Mr Williams crotch (or similiar looking ski instructor named, no doubt, Hans.)
Or, the alternative scenario:
turn up in hired gear that hangs off your arse; fall flat on your face and break your nose; freeze to the ground with the blood flowing from said nose; break nose off trying to get up
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by karonious
Or, the alternative scenario:
turn up in hired gear that hangs off your arse; fall flat on your face and break your nose; freeze to the ground with the blood flowing from said nose; break nose off trying to get up
I hate you Mystic bloody Meg ...
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:11 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I hate you Mystic bloody Meg ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.