Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we purchase a new 3 piece suit...

Should we purchase a new 3 piece suit...

Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should we purchase a new 3 piece suit...

in the UK and bring it with us or wait until we arrive? we have enough space in the container so no extra freight costs! Is furniture expensive in NZ in comparison to the UK?

Daft question but I thought it was worth asking!

Also, do all electrical appliances work in NZ i.e. TVs, DVDs, fridge freezers etc.?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:44 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we purchase a new 3 piece suit...

Originally Posted by gazmfc
in the UK and bring it with us or wait until we arrive? we have enough space in the container so no extra freight costs! Is furniture expensive in NZ in comparison to the UK?

Also, do all electrical appliances work in NZ i.e. TVs, DVDs, fridge freezers etc.?

If you've got the room in container then 'yes' I would buy a 3 piece suit here, they did seem more expensive in NZ and the choice was more limited.....if you find it doesn't 'work' in your new NZ house you can always sell it on Trademe! As for electrical appliances.....lots of previous post's / threads... they should come up if you do a search while you're waiting for kiwi members to reply.
B
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

fairburnings is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. If you have container space, it is much cheaper to buy furniture in UK.
It should be in use, so do not bring it packed in unopened original manufacturer's wrapping, to avoid possible problems with customs about NZ tax.

White goods are also cheaper in UK and work on NZ voltage, apart from some TVs, I believe, which need an NZ Freeview box to receive NZ TV frequencies. NZ DVD is a different region but the unlock is not an expensive fix.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Hi,

I've gone down the route of buying things here before we go, to save on money, including a new lounge suite, which was in the sales. Just debating whether to buy a superking size bed as well, lol.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't bother with a three piece suit, hardly anyone even wears ties here

Also Gaz, can I ask what the MFC stands for? I am hoping Middlesbrough?

Last edited by turkeys; Jan 28th 2011 at 8:37 pm. Reason: Up the Boro!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:59 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=turkeys;9136308]I wouldn't bother with a three piece suit, hardly anyone even wears ties here
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:54 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Is furniture expensive in NZ in comparison to the UK?
Yes. Buy one over there, it will be cheaper and the quality is likely to be better too.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeys
I wouldn't bother with a three piece suit, hardly anyone even wears ties here

Also Gaz, can I ask what the MFC stands for? I am hoping Middlesbrough?
okay smart a*** so i forgot the 'E'

Thanks for all the advice everyone, we'll go ahead and buy one before we leave.

Yes of course the 'MFC' stands for Middlesbrough Football Club...what else could it possibly stand for?

UP THE BORO
Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Half the price in the UK
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Check out prices of furniture etc on trademe.co.nz will give you a good idea of prices of a whole load of stuff
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

okay smart a*** so i forgot the 'E'

Thanks for all the advice everyone, we'll go ahead and buy one before we leave.

Yes of course the 'MFC' stands for Middlesbrough Football Club...what else could it possibly stand for?

UP THE BORO
I was hoping it wasn't Millwall. just saw someone in a Boro top the other day at Te Papa (National Museum in Wellington) - the day after we had grasped another draw from the jaws of victory, against Preston North End.

Good luck with the move. Where will you be living? (Sorry haven't read through your other threads)
If you get Sky when you are here there is a Championship roundup now. We certainly won't be in the Premiership
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:18 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MnB
If you've got the room in container then 'yes' I would buy a 3 piece suit here, they did seem more expensive in NZ and the choice was more limited.....if you find it doesn't 'work' in your new NZ house you can always sell it on Trademe!
If that happens, post about it on here first - pretty sure there'd be some takers given that the quality is bound to be way better than anything available here
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

YES!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

and it's a YES from me also.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:47 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
If that happens, post about it on here first - pretty sure there'd be some takers given that the quality is bound to be way better than anything available here

Now why didn't I think of that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.