Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we emigrate to NZ? Looking at Christchurch.

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Hi,

Sorry if I caused offence by expressing a preference for Oz. I suppose I've formed an opinion out of what I've read so far. I may well settle better in NZ.

My wife lived in Sydney for 2.5 years about 10 years ago, during which time she travelled extensively around Australia (except WA). Neither of us have ever been to NZ but we've heard nothing but positive stories from friends of ours who were there. Indeed anything I've read has been positive too, regarding scenery, friendly people, relaxed way of life, healthy child-friendly country. As well as that, I would expect to find electrical work pretty easily in ChCh.

However, I have major concerns regarding the cost of living relative to expected earnings, not to mention the difficulty of my wife finding teaching work anywhere near where I'll find electrical work. We have struggled big time for the last few years now and are tired of being told to ride out the storm and things will improve. If we are to move to the far side of the planet, we would like a bit of spare change in our pockets at the end of a week's work. Ideally we would like to fly home to Ireland every Christmas to visit our families, at least while our parents are still alive. I'm not sure this would be possible on the disposable income we'd have in NZ. I think we'd grow to love the slower pace of life but I'm afraid this one gripe conquers all of NZ's advantages over Oz.

Having said that, if the process of getting into Oz turns out to be impossible, at least we'd be able to live a more comfortable life in NZ than in Ireland so it remains an option. One that might well work out for the best.
No offence taken - I just wondered what the assumption was based on. You are right about the cost of living and disposable income and it can be a big deciding factor. the two countries are very different in so many ways though. Although they are both english speaking and "westernised" they are also very very different to the UK - hence me wondering what you based your thoughts on.

If money is your main concern then Oz would be the better choice for you if you can get in. If, as you say, you would still be happy in NZ with less disposable income but its better than prospects in Ireland, then it may still be a good option for you.

Be aware though - there are good and bad sides to every story and country. It worries me when you say you have heard nothing but positive things about NZ. Life here is not a bed of roses. Please - read some more threads here of people giving you examples of the negatives of life out here - you need a balanced argument. What suits one person doesn't not suit another.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
No offence taken - I just wondered what the assumption was based on. You are right about the cost of living and disposable income and it can be a big deciding factor. the two countries are very different in so many ways though. Although they are both english speaking and "westernised" they are also very very different to the UK - hence me wondering what you based your thoughts on.

If money is your main concern then Oz would be the better choice for you if you can get in. If, as you say, you would still be happy in NZ with less disposable income but its better than prospects in Ireland, then it may still be a good option for you.

Be aware though - there are good and bad sides to every story and country. It worries me when you say you have heard nothing but positive things about NZ. Life here is not a bed of roses. Please - read some more threads here of people giving you examples of the negatives of life out here - you need a balanced argument. What suits one person doesn't not suit another.
I meant we've heard nothing but good stories from people who've visited as tourists, which I'm always wary of because it's very different to living in a place.

I have also read great things regarding the aspects I mentioned previously. I have also read some terrible experiences people have witnessed. We are both born and bred in Dublin so we're no strangers to a city with social problems. Everywhere has them I suppose.

For us though, NZ tops Oz on almost every measure. Unfortunately, disposable income is a measure that is very important to us. And that's assuming my wife got work. If she can't (which seems the case) it just isn't possible for us.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

You could try and secure a job offer as an electrician before you arrive. We survived on an electrician wage before I got relief yeaching work and we are a family of four. I don't think we could survive in Auckland though where rentals are way more expensive.

Probably pointing out the obvious but if your wife is on the look out for relief work, she should go in, in person and meet the principals. Don't email.

Oh, and I'm not reeeeaaaaaally sure that BE does give a balanced view of life here. There are some who only ever post negatives and there will be many expats out there having too much fun to log on here. (I know, I know, I'm obviously not one of 'em!)
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Steve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really niceSteve88 is just really nice

Many many many thanks to all who took the time to reply, some very useful stuff. Although a balanced opinion is important, we do seem to focus more on the positive than the negative (not a bad thing). I think its especially true that there are probably many expats who are having a fantastic time in NZ right now and are thus too preoccupied to bother reading this!!
Anyway I think we're gonna get the ball rolling and try our luck! You never know it might just work out! Or then again it might not. But if we dont go we wont know!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:35 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve88
Many many many thanks to all who took the time to reply, some very useful stuff. Although a balanced opinion is important, we do seem to focus more on the positive than the negative (not a bad thing). I think its especially true that there are probably many expats who are having a fantastic time in NZ right now and are thus too preoccupied to bother reading this!!
Anyway I think we're gonna get the ball rolling and try our luck! You never know it might just work out! Or then again it might not. But if we dont go we wont know!
Hi Steve! I posted a little while a go in this thread (I was/am the happy clapper!) We are in Christchurch now, made it out earlier than expected due to a job offer. We landed on Weds morning (NZ time). A little too early to tell but so far so good! The weather has been lovely, it was roasting when we arrived!

I wish you luck with your move, I think it's great you've decided to bite the bullet. If you have any more questions just ask!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve88
You never know it might just work out! Or then again it might not. But if we dont go we wont know!
I pretty much agree with that. It's kinda on that basis that my kiwi husband and I relocated from Britain to Christchurch in February 2011. Three weeks after the fatal earthquake. Yes we knew in advance but came anyway. We didn't have a job offer prior to our arrival. It seems the only ones, 'in with a shout' come on this basis.

Things didn't work out for us. We moved to the North Island on the strength of his job offer and have never looked back.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

good luck both of you! maybe see you out there someday
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:55 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Yep, I'll bring the wine!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:02 am
Just Joined

sibrit is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a heck of a lot of work for tradies in ChCh at the moment, and I believe the government is looking at streamlining the visa process for overseas tradies. Funnily enough, I know heaps of Irish tradies since my local is an Irish pub. Most came over recently and found work quickly.

But be prepared to be a single income family for a while, as the government is also dicking about with the education system and schools, and the debacle of the Novopay, so teaching jobs are slim in ChCh.

When I came here in 2011, I budgeted $2500 a month for rent, food, transport, etc., but ended up spending about $3500. That was for just for me. Fortunately I had already sent over quite a bit and was able to start work within 3 months of arriving, but putting down the bond for a rental and buying the appliances and furniture used up everything I had saved.

I've no idea what opportunties exist for puchasing a land or house/land package for temporary visa holders, or even those on Skilled Migrant. If you're renting in ChCh, expect to pay through the nose. Some landlords have hiked their rates due to high demand and low supply. Bordering on criminal I feel.

You also want to try and make sure you have no need to send money back each month. The forex rates aren't favourable to the NZ$.

No need for me to list all the positives, as NZ is bloody wonderful, but to be realistic, don't expect it to be all good all the time here. It's not. But given you were able to rough it in a caravan for a while, I don't think there'll be any insurmountable hurdles for you over here.

Your wife might get bored though cos she may end up with a lot of time on her hands but not enough disposable income to make good use of it.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think rental market will calm down or just get worse? Whats the job market like for jobs like admin, retail, hospitality etc. Many places hiring?

I saw a article saying that places like that were finding it hard filling jobs. I know theyre minimum wage but i still found that hard to believe considering the amount of wifes/girlfriends/daughters that will be over with the tradesmen
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:30 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

The rental market will ease with the number of houses being built and eventualky the contracts will decline. It may take a while though.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just looked on trade me and seek and there seems to be less jobs than last time I checked (non construction jobs)
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:43 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
I just looked on trade me and seek and there seems to be less jobs than last time I checked (non construction jobs)
Don't panic too much, it is high season at the moment so there will be a lot of people on working holiday visas getting work in cafes, shops etc. When I was looking around town yesterday I saw a few adverts in windows advertising jobs. There is also a lot in local papers for cafe work, admin etc
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Don't panic too much, it is high season at the moment so there will be a lot of people on working holiday visas getting work in cafes, shops etc. When I was looking around town yesterday I saw a few adverts in windows advertising jobs. There is also a lot in local papers for cafe work, admin etc
Cheers! Im not worrying too much the now since it will be a while before we could move anyway but nice to know the employment situation is slightly better than scotland. I know they are minimum wage jobs but people here are struggling to even get those here!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:19 am
She'll be right

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Cheers! Im not worrying too much the now since it will be a while before we could move anyway but nice to know the employment situation is slightly better than scotland. I know they are minimum wage jobs but people here are struggling to even get those here!
Just thought I would let you know I've been offered some part time cleaning work pretty easily. Went in to meet the head housekeeper today and she basically said "anyone can clean if they put their mind to it, when can you start?" So there is work out there to be had! Just feel a little sorry for her as she obviously knows nothing about my cleaning skills!!!

Also signed up to Vbase - an agency who supply casual caterers for events in Christchurch. Just had an email to take a "scenario test". Just a load of questions like "if a customer complained about the food what would you do? a) tell him to stop whining b) ask him what is wrong and what you can do to help etc etc."

Seems to be a fair bit of casual work around at the mo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.