Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should we bring the pets??

Should we bring the pets??

Old May 21st 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all
Smile Should we bring the pets??

HI all, We've got a Boxer dog (age 5) and two cats. The kids have said they wont come with us and live in nz unless the pets come. However i have managed to persuade them that the cats can't come and will be better with grandad here in Welsh Wales..So its just the dog. We all love him to bits but want to know if anyone has had any problems with their animals after the long flight ?? And also do they have to go in to quarantine when they get there???
Old May 21st 2007, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Should we bring the pets??

There is no quarantine here, so you collect them straight from their flight. Our dog didn't suffer at all from the flight other than peeing for about 3 minutes once we took her out of her container. She is eight and absolutely loves it here.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all
Smile Re: Should we bring the pets??

Thanks for the reply liz. Did she travel on the same plane as you,and do they have to have any injections before they go to nz.
Old May 21st 2007, 4:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We brought out our two cats and they had no problems at all. I think they possibly found it all rather boring. They have a really wonderful life here and we are so glad we brought them.
Only a couple of airlines air freight animals to Nz. I think one is BA and the other Qantas. Not sure on that.

We uses Airpets to transport our pets. They gave us a step by step guide as to what we should be doing. If you contact them , they will send you a good information sheet about the service.

It was timed that the cats landed in Nelson the day after my husband did.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by welshwales
Thanks for the reply liz. Did she travel on the same plane as you,and do they have to have any injections before they go to nz.
I was already in NZ and left my husband to deal with the export of the dog while I organised a rental (quite difficult with a dog). He had to collect poo samples and take them into the vets on set days - he was not impressed! He then flew on the same plane as her - Air New Zealand via LA, he was not allowed to see her on the stop over but was assured she was OK. I collected them both from Auckland on the same day - husband first - not my choice but the dog had to go through her clearance. She had not pooed or peed in her crate. It was rather expensive but well worth it, in my opinion.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

i am going to take my cats with me, i have also enquired with air pets and you get a fully detailed intinery from them, telling you the procedure etc and i went through them after all the praise on here about them. and there is always someone to speak to if you have specific questions

its not cheap but i think it is worth it, i thought about getting my cats a good home but could not face doing it, so it is going to cost about £1500.

i am sure that your dog will be fine, it seems that all the pets have been ok after the long flight, if not just in need of stretching their legs.

with regards

kirstie
Old May 21st 2007, 9:55 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshwales
HI all, We've got a Boxer dog (age 5) and two cats. The kids have said they wont come with us and live in nz unless the pets come. However i have managed to persuade them that the cats can't come and will be better with grandad here in Welsh Wales..So its just the dog. We all love him to bits but want to know if anyone has had any problems with their animals after the long flight ?? And also do they have to go in to quarantine when they get there???
I'm not sure how old your kids are but if they are young they will definitely miss the cats as well, even if they seem to accept nan & pop having them now. Personally, if you can, I'd recommend bringing the lot.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

How To Clean Your Dunny - The Kiwi Way

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl.
2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.
3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.
4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.
5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".
6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.
7. Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.
8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.
9. Both the toilet and the cat will be sparkling clean

Maybe you should ask the cats if they still want to go

Now where's my neighbours moggy?

Last edited by justinthyme; May 21st 2007 at 10:37 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I know how you feel, we have a dog who is 6 and we are not sure if to take him or let him stay with my parents. He is a great dog but not sure how he will be after the flight. We have children aged 8 and 6 and they cant remember not having him here. I had a reply from Golden Arrow, who seem very professional and were the same price as the others. They do a lot with their vets which would be a great help.

Hope you are able to make a decision!

Ann
Old May 21st 2007, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Hi,

We have just had our quote from Golden Arrow, including most of the vet fees except for two lots of blood samples and the microchip which need to be taken by our local vet.

£1800 for the flight, crate and all the vet certs etc and includes 3 days boarding. They tell me that the dogs are fine and the older ones do better. You can't feed them for about 6 hours before the flight, bit like if they were going for the op, and they can only have water on the flight. I was going to do it myself with the local vet and just use an agent for shipping, but it was more expensive that way and then you don't have the guarantee, if the dog doesn't make his flight because you got something wrong on the paperwork.

We will be flying out before the dog, he will be coming out a few days later. You can collect from the airport yourself, or an agent can collect and board for you.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

just found this :--->

http://web.ana-aviation.com/Pet%20Pa...tners!OpenForm

Thought it might be of use to someone looking for pet transporters.
Regards
Julesnye
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We didn't bring our cat but I wish we had now. The kids were OK though knowin that he was going to a good home. We're now having the new pet debate!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nisey
Hi,

We have just had our quote from Golden Arrow, including most of the vet fees except for two lots of blood samples and the microchip which need to be taken by our local vet.

£1800 for the flight, crate and all the vet certs etc and includes 3 days boarding. They tell me that the dogs are fine and the older ones do better. You can't feed them for about 6 hours before the flight, bit like if they were going for the op, and they can only have water on the flight. I was going to do it myself with the local vet and just use an agent for shipping, but it was more expensive that way and then you don't have the guarantee, if the dog doesn't make his flight because you got something wrong on the paperwork.

We will be flying out before the dog, he will be coming out a few days later. You can collect from the airport yourself, or an agent can collect and board for you.
Please could you give me the link or phone number for Golden Arrow.Thank you
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Golden Arrow shippers in Shropshire Tel 01588 680240

Hope this helps and good luck.....can you also do me a favour whilst your on the phone, ask them if they ship from the south coast...please
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
Golden Arrow shippers in Shropshire Tel 01588 680240

Hope this helps and good luck.....can you also do me a favour whilst your on the phone, ask them if they ship from the south coast...please
Hi Julesnye
Thank you for the No. I googled it but couldn't find it.

I've just phoned them. They are based in South Shropshire and say that the dog has to be with them 3 days before the flight, he reckoned that we are 180 miles from them. So thats quite a trip. He is sending me info in the post.
So same would apply to you in South coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.