Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

should I stay or should I go?

should I stay or should I go?

Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

katiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura about
Question should I stay or should I go?

came out to NZ three years ago - have family and friends here via my late husband and no close family in UK so thought may as well go to where I have family. I had spent a year here in the 90's so had a fairly good idea of life in NZ.

Got a job as a Probation Officer in NZ before leaving UK, was granted visa on work grounds not spouse (having been a PO in UK for nearly 20 years and have uni qualification). When I got here my experience and quals were ignored and I had to do the 6 month very poor so called training (which is not a recognised qualification) and given a role that a trained monkey could do. So moved onto a similar job within a prison. This meant moving as I had no choice with my work location.

nearly a year ago I had an accident which has resulted in being off work. This has given me time to think. I am in touch with family and friends but they are all scattered around NZ and OZ so my contact is virtually the same as I would have from the UK (Facebook,skype etc) . One died earlier this year and three others are considering moving to OZ which will cut down my NZ support even more.

I have no real friends where I live - they are more work friends - and we have very little in common. I have been very isolated here as have been unable to walk and drive so can't get to visit and family and friends all work so they are limited. I hate my job here - there is widespread bullying of staff, i could get work back in the UK easily and - I could return to the area I grew up in and lived in for most of my adult life - with long term friends.

the down side is that I do love living here - I have teh uk climate but have to think do I want to spend the rest of my life here just working and existing or is a meaningful social life and nearby support more important? I guess its a nobrainer but would like to hear from anyone else who has faced anything similar.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:04 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should I stay or should I go?

First of all, hello there and welcome to the forum.

I suppose that the blunt answer is that at the end of the day, only you can decide. However, B.E. is, in part, a support network for expats abroad so hopefully, peeps will be a long to give you a few options and ideas.

I think the clue to this is your statement that you have had, "time to think". Also, it turns out that life is not always, location, location, location. We need some good company too.

I'm sure the good folks on here will be along soon to add their comments.

For what it is worth, having read hundreds of similar threads in the Oz forum, 5 years is often the turning point.

=================

To anybody who is thinking of using this thread to launch into a NZ is crap argument. DON'T.

Thank you. Please respect the OP's thread.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:30 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree no one can make the decision for you but as you state in your post in your case it might just be a "No brainer"

We can't live on scenery alone, I have to keep telling my OH that when he suggests we go tramping and looking at it. Fine for me and him but it's not what the kids want to do every weekend.

Speak to your friends back in the UK and make sure they are happy to give you the support either way.
It's been said before about making friends, go to clubs etc but some of us just aren't really into turning up and getting stuck in. So maybe post on here the area you are in and see if anyone is around you and can have coffee occasionally and maybe things will pick up on the friends side over here also.

Whatever you decide it will be right for you and that is all that it boils down to really
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:35 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought....do you now, or could you in the future, qualify to enter Australia as you have contacts etc. there?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 1:40 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

To anybody who is thinking of using this thread to launch into a NZ is crap argument. DON'T.

Thank you. Please respect the OP's thread.
Ditto
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have kind of said what you want to do and just want someone to agree with you. Unfortunately I do not know you well enough to help, sorry.

It sounds like you have had a hard time. Often when I am unsure what to do I write a list of all the pros and cons of what I am thinking about, for you it would be 'to stay in NZ' or 'to return to UK' or 'go to OZ' and see if any of these options stand out as the one to choose. Good luck whatever you decide
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:21 am
Just Joined

katiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura aboutkatiepai has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Just a thought....do you now, or could you in the future, qualify to enter Australia as you have contacts etc. there?
I need to stay in NZ another two years plus before I get citizenship and am too old to move to Australia on work grounds - had considered this option but decided I couldn't wait that long - for various reasons
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I worked as a probation officer in NZ and thoroughly enjoyed both the training and the job. I guess it is horses for courses and I was never bullied. I hope you find something and somewhere to make you feel happier.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear i do feel for you. I think the pro's and con's thing is helpful in making decisions like these and I think you have already done this - its considering all the important things in life:

Money
Job/Career
Friends
Love
Home
Health

If you look at all those things and find negatives in your current situation for the majority and you can make the positives by making the move back to the UK.......well you will come to your own conclusions.

It sounds like you are having a hard time of it at the moment and if you can't see a way of it getting better that's very difficult. You say that you love living here - but what is it about NZ that you love if you feel that you are just existing here rather than having something meaningful.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Katie - where abouts in NZ are you?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Katie - where abouts in NZ are you?
I am near Hamilton, I have done the joining various activities bit and thought had made friends but despite issuing invites to people after my accident to pop round for coffee etc - in 10 months had two people come round socially. What hasn't helped is not being able to drive or walk - though hopefully will be more independant next year. I'm not feeling sorry for myself - have been able to fill my time with various things including a distance learning course with Massey - but it did make me consider the difference if I had been in the UK where I would have had lots of visitors, people taking me out etc.

Have done the pros/cons and Uk comes out top- mainly due to the friend support and the quality of work - NZ definitely is top for quality of life, climate, wonderful scenery etc so am not knocking NZ by any means.

I would like to thank all those who replied to my post, I really appreciated it and its given me another means of communication with others.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:24 am
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by katiepai
I am near Hamilton, I have done the joining various activities bit and thought had made friends but despite issuing invites to people after my accident to pop round for coffee etc - in 10 months had two people come round socially. What hasn't helped is not being able to drive or walk - though hopefully will be more independant next year. I'm not feeling sorry for myself - have been able to fill my time with various things including a distance learning course with Massey - but it did make me consider the difference if I had been in the UK where I would have had lots of visitors, people taking me out etc.

Have done the pros/cons and Uk comes out top- mainly due to the friend support and the quality of work - NZ definitely is top for quality of life, climate, wonderful scenery etc so am not knocking NZ by any means.

I would like to thank all those who replied to my post, I really appreciated it and its given me another means of communication with others.
You might like to look at the moving back to the UK forum. There are many people who have moved back from all over the world and for them it has been the right choice.

BUT - there's always a but isn't there. Some people moved back on the promise of help and support from family and friends only to find that after the initial euphioria, this help and support, social contact etc. evaporated. Some of those have chosen to come back again. The Australia forum contains a few stories like this.

Are there many volunteer groups in NZ? You could try those perhaps.