Reload this Page >

Should I ship everything?

Should I ship everything?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Riff-Raff is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Should I ship everything?

Hello,

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth shipping my entire home contents to New Zealand when I relocate with my wife and young sons. The alternative being to just ship out essential items, those of sentimental value and replace furniture and white goods on arrival.

Can I have some opinions on this? Most of the furniture we have is from IKEA and I'm aware that the shipping costs are high. Is it worth shipping my Billy book cases to the other side of the world? We'll be renting in New Zealand and I've been led to believe from what I've read that most houses are unfurnished, having at most carpets, curtains and a few kitchen appliances. Is that correct? Is it easy and relatively inexpensive to buy new furniture? I read with horror on the IKEA website that they don't have any stores in New Zealand, lol. We will need to get organised pretty quickly because of the children - one a toddler and one a baby.

I have no idea at present where we will be located. The favourite is Wellington, but it could be Auckland or Hamilton. I've read a couple of books on relocating to New Zealand and the discussion on shipping always seems to imply that the move is being funded by an employer and therefore shipping everything is the best option. I'm still seeking work so anticipate funding the move myself.

Any tips and comments gratefully received.

Riff-Raff
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:17 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I ship everything?

Originally Posted by Riff-Raff
Hello,

I'm trying to decide whether it is worth shipping my entire home contents to New Zealand when I relocate with my wife and young sons. The alternative being to just ship out essential items, those of sentimental value and replace furniture and white goods on arrival.

Can I have some opinions on this? Most of the furniture we have is from IKEA and I'm aware that the shipping costs are high. Is it worth shipping my Billy book cases to the other side of the world? We'll be renting in New Zealand and I've been led to believe from what I've read that most houses are unfurnished, having at most carpets, curtains and a few kitchen appliances. Is that correct? Is it easy and relatively inexpensive to buy new furniture? I read with horror on the IKEA website that they don't have any stores in New Zealand, lol. We will need to get organised pretty quickly because of the children - one a toddler and one a baby.

I have no idea at present where we will be located. The favourite is Wellington, but it could be Auckland or Hamilton. I've read a couple of books on relocating to New Zealand and the discussion on shipping always seems to imply that the move is being funded by an employer and therefore shipping everything is the best option. I'm still seeking work so anticipate funding the move myself.

Riff-Raff
Ship EVERYTHING*

1) Furniture choice is limited here and can be expenisve
2) You can sell your old stuff on Trade Me for a song (I haven't seen a double bed frame go for less than $200-300 and I've been looking)
3) Take your Ikea stuff apart (but keep the screws in a safe place - I lost one bundle!). If you don't it takes up more space and the screws work loose.
4) Above a certain amount it's just about as cheap to ship a dedicated full container for yourself (a 20' or a 40' - a 'reefer' by the way is an empty meat fridge going back empty to get more NZ lamb! - supposed to be clean but ...!)
5) If you ship a dedicated container it is usually quicker than waiting for a shared one to get filled up....also no insurance nightmares when someone elses stuff leaks all over yours!
6) Don't worry about garden stuff, bikes, etc....just clean them - MAFF are very good about stuff - yes you pay a bit for them checking but it aint that much. I wish I'd brought all my garden equipment including the chain saw, chipper etc.
7) If you can, pay the MAFF costs direct as some shipping companies add a 'handling charge'
8) If you have your favortie booze (that bottle of whisky or champagne you were saving for a special occasion) - ship it too but declare it - again customs are great and the allowances are high
9) * cars - check that the make and model have passed the NZ frontal crash tests and emmisions laws (it makes no differnece if it's the safest car in Europe - if it hasn't been tested here it will be difficult to bring it in and the numbers will be so low you'll find it hard getting serviced). If it is a Jap model and quite new think about bringing it - costs about 1500 quid - just remember most cars here are auto's so selling on a manual might be trickier...oh and autos help with all the hills in Welly.
10) You will settle quicker with your old stuff around you (and it's strange what you get attached to ...'ooh the toast doesn't taste the same in the new toaster' for example)

*IMHO of course

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Mar 24th 2009 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Riff-Raff;7412014]Hello,

Yes, yes, yes. The whole lot. We did. No regrets.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes bring everything, we moved over 4 weeks ago, we brought suite, beds etc. But wished I had brought more of our things, we gave so much away before we came. One of the main things I regret not bringing is my curtains, they are so expensive out here and the quality is not great. I cant believe how much I miss Matalan. Apart from that NZ is great.
Good luck
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Riff-Raff;7412014]Hello,

Update on previous repost..NOT THE CAR!!!!!! Unless its something REALLY unique its an utter waste of wedge by all accounts.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:38 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Genesis;7412305]
Hello,

Update on previous repost..NOT THE CAR!!!!!! Unless its something REALLY unique its an utter waste of wedge by all accounts.
I dunno about that...if it's a standard Jap car, which is new and an automatic....probably worth the 1500 quid shipping plus cleaning costs, mechanical check, WOF, registration, finding a person to service.....hmmm might have convinced myself not a good idea after all

I couldn't ship mine as being a Ford Galaxy it was clearly a death trap just waiting to kill innocent Kiwi's - as compared to the 'safe' 5 litre ar--dragging, grapefruit launching, 'hooned' cars with those soft bull bars you get here - go figure huh!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:26 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Hello,

Riff-Raff
Hi there

We arrived a month ago and are in Wellington with 3 little ones under 5. We brought everything, it really helped then settle in seeing all their familiar bits and bobs.
Bring the lot if you can its much easier than trailing through the shops with little ones then having to wait for things to be delivered. Some things take weeks to arrive as they are made for you to.

Hope that helps as they say you can also sell it on Trademe if you don't need it anymore. Plus there's no Ikea around here

PM if i can help with anything regarding the little people. x
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ship absolutely everything you can and jam that container full to the brim .
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:35 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

naa ship bugger all.

It's just stuff!