Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Should I bring my car?

Should I bring my car?

Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:42 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I bring my car?

Originally Posted by jmh
Well of course! The colour of the paint is the most important part of the car isn't it? Apart from the colour of the upholstery of course.
When I was younger and blonder, someone asked me what car I drove ... I replied "A black one ..."
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:04 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
In all honesty, and no offence, I really wouldn't bother. It's not a classic car, it's not like you can't replace it, like for like, here. With all the other things you have to tick off your "To Do" list ... why would you? Did you have a wonderful romantic interlude in it? Was a child conceived in it, and now walking round with the name Jazz? No .... sell it and buy something when you get here.
I wish......
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:08 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

I have no personal attachment but I believe with the current exchange rate it makes financial sense .

It will cost approx £1500 to ship, clear MAF and register on the road. What car can I buy for that on Trade Me?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:09 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
I have no personal attachment but I believe with the current exchange rate it makes financial sense .

It will cost approx £1500 to ship, clear MAF and register on the road. What car can I buy for that on Trade Me?
a 20 year old Corolla?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:10 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by sirplug
As Rob has said, 1.5mm (lower than the UK) but make sure that the speed ratings are within '2' of each other on the same axle. Also, replace the air filter and pollen filter, just in case they have seeds, grass and bugs in. Make sure the fuel filler cap is not a temporary one and the spare wheel is bolted to the floor, securely and has the sticker on it that normally comes with the space saver.
good advice sirplugs thanks - have passed list to my hubby to add to his ToDo.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

mandaxcook is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Should I bring my car?

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
3 weeks to go and I am now wondering if I should bring my little Honda Jazz with me. It is 5 years old has 32000 on the clock and would mean we could have a second car for me when hubby buys a family saloon.
It is worth £3.5k to 4k here, it is fully paid up and is a pretty economical car to run at 42mpg plus low maintenance.

Do you think it makes financial sense to bring it with me?

Anglo Pacific our shipper cleans the car underneath as part of the service although I haven't had a quote from them yet.
Hi, I loved my car but I sold it before coming over and bought a fairly cheap used car within my first week which I love, I am the first owner in NZ as it was shipped in from Japan as so many are but they are usually in good condition. My husband brought his car with him and this has caused us a complete headache. We had it cleaned before we left but still had to have it done again once it arrived, you then need to pay to have it compliance tested and MoTed and licenced and registered this totals about $500. We cam eover with Pickfords and they don't really seem to know what they were doing but maybe Anglo Pacific will be better - i would check with them first though. Good luck with the move.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
When I was younger and blonder, someone asked me what car I drove ... I replied "A black one ..."
When we brought my stepdaughter her first car she was so pleased cos the colour went well with her newly highlighted hair!!!!!

That would have been ok but the car was a bright metallic blue Still can't see where that comment came from......... Bevissa
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:13 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Hi all thanks for all your replies.

Anglo Pacific were indeed helpful and put me in touch with a guy at the AA in New Zealand who informed me that our car did not pass the current emissions and frontal impact standards IN NZ (we were gob smacked). It is however possible to get a waiver on this if you are entitled to permanent residence when you arrive in NZ.

The problem is we are not entitled to PR under the Long Term Business Visa. PR can not be applied for until after 3 years.

With only 2 weeks to go we listed the car on Auto Trader and sold it within 24 hours so will buy a replacement car for me when we are settled into Tauranga. Let me know if you can recommend any reputable car dealers in the BOP.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

seriously didnt meet standards? Europe has the best in the world! Japanese cars over here are (safety wise) well behind what is sold in the UK. Thats my impression anyway
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

newish Honda Jazz?!?
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:02 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rason
seriously didnt meet standards? Europe has the best in the world! Japanese cars over here are (safety wise) well behind what is sold in the UK. Thats my impression anyway
It isn´t usually a case of which is safer, the test is does it comply with an NZ approved and documented standard. The Jazz in question may meet a later EU std but unless NZTA have assessed that std and documented it as acceptable, it isn´t. They have done so for Honda Japanese domestic market VINs but may not have done so for EU market models/VINs as so few are imported - and most of those will probably qualify for the waiver anyway.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:07 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by rason
newish Honda Jazz?!?
september 2005 on a 55 plate which I would not call old.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:02 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Turners Auctions or Farmers Auto Village, both on Hewletts Road in the Mount.