British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shortland Street (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shortland-street-769840/)

Genesis Aug 29th 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Shortland Street

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10253374)
Its utter CRAP

Now that is paying it a compliment!!:rofl:

Choccie Aug 29th 2012 9:04 pm

I haven't seen Shortie since eldest daughter moved out and can't say I miss it! (the prog not the daughter).:)

I never found it as hideously cringing as the The Crowd Goes Wild - now that really is appalling! :eek:

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Choccie (Post 10253576)
I haven't seen Shortie since eldest daughter moved out and can't say I miss it! (the prog not the daughter).:)

I never found it as hideously cringing as the The Crowd Goes Wild - now that really is appalling! :eek:

The Crowd Goes Wild is REALLY REALLY bad, not only are the presenters pretty thick but calling a NZ sports show 'the crowd goes wild' is way off the mark. They should have called it 'the few people that have bothered to drag their arse off the couch and actually attend a live sporting event are quiet and motionless'. Not as catchy but a fairer reflection of Kiwis.

Choccie Aug 29th 2012 10:33 pm

I know what you mean - we took our son and a few of his friends to the rugby a few years ago for his birthday and the woman in front kept telling then to be quiet and sit still!

I found that the only time they made a noise was when they were booing the opposition.

Completely off topic I know but I went to see Mamma Mia and it was the same thing - no one moved or joined in with the songs!!! Distinct lack of atmosphere at any event I find.:confused:

BEVS Aug 29th 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10253633)
The Crowd Goes Wild is REALLY REALLY bad.

OMG. :lol: Neither one of us can stand it and Mr BEVS is sports mad.

Justcol Aug 30th 2012 12:07 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10252144)
she's just finished filming a cop drama set in Auckland alongside Kiwi Hollywood actor Sam Neil.

I'm also waiting for this to air, I met him at the local shop here in Devonport where he was staying
while shooting, I even got a crappy photo with him on my crappy phone

Tom1983 Aug 30th 2012 1:56 am

I must say I don't mind watching Shortland Street.

Really enjoyed the story of Chris and Hayley. Plus I like Bri and Brooke, they remind me of the wifes sisters.

It's not the best but hey anythings better than Eastenders.

elasticated17 Aug 30th 2012 2:04 am

Brooke and Bree are awesome! It is definately lighter than most soaps in terms of hard storylines but I think NZ's should be proud of it. A lot of work goes into making it and it is one of the most highly turned around programmes in the world.

RobDon Aug 30th 2012 4:25 am

We watch it (me and girls not the hubster or boys) purely for the escapism!;)

waikatoguy Aug 30th 2012 4:38 am

I've never seen an entire episode of shortie st. For the most part, the acting is cringe-inducing. But believe it or not I'm a Coronation Street addict. So I'm giving my age away a bit here, but I still remember when Martha Longhurst died in the snug while drinking a milk stout (I was a very young boy though). I rarely miss an episode and I thought the writing of late has been first class (as always).
For example :
Mrs Fishwick (crying hysterically) to John Stape : You've buried my son under a knicker factory?
John to Mrs Fishwick (trying to calm her) : Oh come on now, it's not as bad as it sounds.

elasticated17 Aug 30th 2012 4:44 am

Waikato Guy - John Stape is the best character ever!! I always you tube the latest Corrie!

waikatoguy Aug 30th 2012 5:00 am

Originally Posted by elasticated17 (Post 10254119)
Waikato Guy - John Stape is the best character ever!! I always you tube the latest Corrie!

I'd go for Blanche. :)

Expat Kiwi Aug 30th 2012 6:36 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10254115)
I've never seen an entire episode of shortie st. For the most part, the acting is cringe-inducing. But believe it or not I'm a Coronation Street addict. So I'm giving my age away a bit here, but I still remember when Martha Longhurst died in the snug while drinking a milk stout (I was a very young boy though). I rarely miss an episode and I thought the writing of late has been first class (as always).
For example :
Mrs Fishwick (crying hysterically) to John Stape : You've buried my son under a knicker factory?
John to Mrs Fishwick (trying to calm her) : Oh come on now, it's not as bad as it sounds.

That was Dickens wasn't it?

I've not seen either Shortland or Coronation Streets, there are some roads that are better for being less travelled. I'm sure they are both good viewing and they definitely spawn enough actors who go on to bigger and better things. A bit like Neighbours, which is a veritable breeding ground for good talent.

Expat Kiwi Aug 30th 2012 6:43 am

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10252464)
I hold a British passport an intend to leave the UK so please don't pull the "this is a british expat forum card".

One of the biggest grips i hear from locals around here is that the foreigners come into the UK, don't mix and generally don't abide by the old adage "when in rome do as the Romans do".

A point of view is fine but DON'T expect me as a dual citizen who supports both NZ and the UK to stand back and take terms like "tin pot economy, banana republic and land of the not very talented on the chin, comments that I and I'm sure many others would find offensive.

Wot's one of them then, is it Latin for something interesting?

You have to accept that it is the land of the not very talented. It's the land of the good enough will do and she'll be right it's a hard fact to accept that to get on you have to leave NZ to do it. Isn't that what you yourself have done.

Why do you think NZ has a skilled migration program if not to replace the talent it can't keep, or create?

BEVS Aug 30th 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10254128)
I'd go for Blanche. :)

It's not something I watch really coz it is predictable & boring IMO but I did get addicted for a while just to hear her one liners.

Shame Maggie Jones has karked it. She was an ace actress all in all, sans Coro.