British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shortland Street (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shortland-street-769840/)

elasticated17 Aug 29th 2012 4:11 am

Shortland Street

Does anyone watch it? Just curious! :D

BEVS Aug 29th 2012 4:30 am

Re: Shortland Street

Nope.

Genesis Aug 29th 2012 4:58 am

Originally Posted by elasticated17 (Post 10251916)
Does anyone watch it? Just curious! :D

Yes if only for the worst acting since Crossroads. Utterly awful like almost all NZ TV. NZ...the land of the not very talented unless you are talking about one or two sports.

BEVS Aug 29th 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10251957)
Yes

Yes? :ohmy:

phyns Aug 29th 2012 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10251957)
Yes if only for the worst acting since Crossroads. Utterly awful like almost all NZ TV. NZ...the land of the not very talented unless you are talking about one or two sports.

Damn I hope you are not typical of expats in NZ. Remember you are a part of NZ so by your own definition does that make you not very talented?
Nah, you make a great town crier. Give you a bell so you can go on and on and on and on................................................ .........

Genesis Aug 29th 2012 7:27 am

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10252076)
Damn I hope you are not typical of expats in NZ. Remember you are a part of NZ so by your own definition does that make you not very talented?
Nah, you make a great town crier. Give you a bell so you can go on and on and on and on................................................ .........

Don't take it so personally, IMO I believe all the talent this country has is going to Oz and elsewhere. And no I am not very talented at anything, it is not a crime to have limited or no talent, its a shame though that a country is so poorly run that 25% of its population chooses to live elsewhere.

barnsleymat Aug 29th 2012 7:53 am

NZ TV is pretty lame by anyone's standards but there could be a chink of light.

One of the lasses I work with is an actress and she's just finished filming a cop drama set in Auckland alongside Kiwi Hollywood actor Sam Neil. By the sounds of it it's going to be pretty good, it's to be broadcast early next year so keep an eye out for a series called 'Harry'.

Some top talent on Shortland Street though, which in my eyes is enough!

BEVS Aug 29th 2012 10:27 am

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10252076)

Really. And what of antipodean 'expats' living away. I've housed a fair few when living in the UK. They have also whinged and whined on until the ears bend backward but , you know what, I just understood

Remember this is primarily a British Expat site for when you decide to stick the boot in.

Remember, we may live in New Zealand but we are totally entitled to still be who we are from where we came from, think as we do given where we came from , just like you are you no matter what

BEVS Aug 29th 2012 10:47 am

Cue those looking to pick a squabble or whine.

phyns Aug 29th 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10252367)
Really. And what of antipodean 'expats' living away. I've housed a fair few when living in the UK. They have also whinged and whined on until the ears bend backward but , you know what, I just understood

Remember this is primarily a British Expat site for when you decide to stick the boot in.

Remember, we may live in New Zealand but we are totally entitled to still be who we are from where we came from, think as we do given where we came from , just like you are you no matter what

I hold a British passport an intend to leave the UK so please don't pull the "this is a british expat forum card".

One of the biggest grips i hear from locals around here is that the foreigners come into the UK, don't mix and generally don't abide by the old adage "when in rome do as the Romans do".

A point of view is fine but DON'T expect me as a dual citizen who supports both NZ and the UK to stand back and take terms like "tin pot economy, banana republic and land of the not very talented on the chin, comments that I and I'm sure many others would find offensive.

phyns Aug 29th 2012 11:28 am

PS Shortland Street sucks

Bo-Jangles Aug 29th 2012 11:54 am

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10252464)

A point of view is fine but DON'T expect me as a dual citizen who supports both NZ and the UK to stand back and take terms like "tin pot economy, banana republic and land of the not very talented on the chin, comments that I and I'm sure many others would find offensive.

I hear it constantly from many Kiwis also, but I guess they're quite resigned to it unless they're of the staunch, dyed in the wool, never gonna leave NZ brigade, after waving goodbye to so many friends and relatives at the Departure lounge.

hazeandsteve Aug 29th 2012 6:10 pm

Now, now children!
Haze loves it, I just don't talk much when it's on. However, missing an episode is a regular occurence. I just can't abide Callum's whiney whisper.
Most of my kiwi mates can't stand it but love Corrie. Each for their own I suppose.

My mate's Sam Neill's son's missus. She is generally known as small face...

Genesis Aug 29th 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by phyns (Post 10252464)
I hold a British passport an intend to leave the UK so please don't pull the "this is a british expat forum card".

One of the biggest grips i hear from locals around here is that the foreigners come into the UK, don't mix and generally don't abide by the old adage "when in rome do as the Romans do".

I am half irish and half french..you can say what you like about both countries, their inhabitants, their economy et al, I could not care a jot, they are just countries and it is NOT personal. And I am very, very proud to be both irish and french BUT would not take umbridge at someone slating either country..it is just an opinion.

love30stm Aug 29th 2012 6:52 pm

Its utter CRAP