Reload this Page >

Shopping in New Zealand

Shopping in New Zealand

Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Cal B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping in New Zealand

Hi !
Just wondered what shopping is like in NZ.Is there a good variety?Thinking mainly of clothing and buying things for the home-is it up to date?What are prices like?Can you get UK brands in NZ?
Cal
XXX
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:48 am
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shopping in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Cal B
Hi !
Just wondered what shopping is like in NZ.Is there a good variety?Thinking mainly of clothing and buying things for the home-is it up to date?What are prices like?Can you get UK brands in NZ?
Cal
XXX
yes there is good variety but different stores of course to uk. clothing is relatively cheap compared to uk. of coure it is up to date! there is loads of gorgeous stuff for homes - there is tons of that kind of shops also. i would suspect much better variety of stuff than you would be used to in uk.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

The furniture is much better quality here especially the wooden products such as dressers and trunks etc..no MFI crap!

Sofas etc good too..

As for clothing..its just different...you still get the tacky fashion stuff for kids, but most clothes are sleevless puffa jackets etc..casula ware,

Yes there are excellent clothes shops too, but you pay for it..much the same as uk I guess...

Overall I think goods are far superior to uk, but food shopping is dire and expensive...
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:12 am
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point

Overall I think goods are far superior to uk, but food shopping is dire and expensive... [/QUOTE]

food shopping expensive?
where else in the world can you get rump steak for $7.99 a kilo - thats not much more than a pound a pound!!
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by batsheva
Overall I think goods are far superior to uk, but food shopping is dire and expensive...

food shopping expensive?
where else in the world can you get rump steak for $7.99 a kilo - thats not much more than a pound a pound!![/QUOTE]

Fine if you are on a decent wage...but we are not working in pounds now are we? Its in kiwi dollars..not quite the same...

Will say though..the meat here is fantastic..the bee's knees...can't rate it highly enough....
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

There are more shops catering for the low/mid budget, but places like Ballantines here in ChCH, will satisfy you for most brand clothing.

I have found furniture to be quite good here.

Food is ok on the whole. There's no razamataz(?), but the quality is normally ok.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Kiwilamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Shopping in New Zealand

[
Hmm, I would ask what New Zealanders did before Fleece was invented. Clothes I have found difficult to shop for - I have been here over six months now and I have yet to find a store that hits the mark. The pumpkin patch is good for under 10s. Rebel Sports has sportswear at good prices during their 20% off sale but pricey otherwise.

Food shopping is basic, meat and fish/seafood are reasonable and plentiful but the range of veg during winter is poor both in choice and quality. Pak&Save were selling cucumbers at $4.99 each. That may sound reasonable in £s but think about the NZ minimum wage. Some surprising things are missing like Double Cream and baking apples.

Books etc are horribly expensive esp compared to supermarkets etc in the UK reducing bestsellers to £3.99 or whatever. I recently saw a book that I had wanted in paperback less than £5 in the UK, $29.99 at Whitcoulls. Another example being the Horrible History magazine (my boys enjoy these books) £1.99 rrp but selling for $6.95 here.

Nothing to compete with Ikea but Freedom Furniture has some nice things. The latest electronic gadgets are available the new IPod mini will be starting at $499.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilamb
[
Hmm, I would ask what New Zealanders did before Fleece was invented. Clothes I have found difficult to shop for - I have been here over six months now and I have yet to find a store that hits the mark. The pumpkin patch is good for under 10s. Rebel Sports has sportswear at good prices during their 20% off sale but pricey otherwise.

Food shopping is basic, meat and fish/seafood are reasonable and plentiful but the range of veg during winter is poor both in choice and quality. Pak&Save were selling cucumbers at $4.99 each. That may sound reasonable in £s but think about the NZ minimum wage. Some surprising things are missing like Double Cream and baking apples.

Books etc are horribly expensive esp compared to supermarkets etc in the UK reducing bestsellers to £3.99 or whatever. I recently saw a book that I had wanted in paperback less than £5 in the UK, $29.99 at Whitcoulls. Another example being the Horrible History magazine (my boys enjoy these books) £1.99 rrp but selling for $6.95 here.

Nothing to compete with Ikea but Freedom Furniture has some nice things. The latest electronic gadgets are available the new IPod mini will be starting at $499.
Yep,
books are sp expensive..I could buy one a week from tesco £3.99, but easy $30 here..luxury items here are not necesssarily what we would call luxury items back at home..i.e magazines etc...and dead expensive

Pantene pro v shampoo...$18 for a large bottle ..shocking! :scared: