Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shopping help (again) were to buy blackout curtains

Shopping help (again) were to buy blackout curtains

Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:40 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all
Default Shopping help (again) were to buy blackout curtains

I am currently using two sets of curtains one on top of the other which makes the room extremely hot, to keep out the bright nz midday sun. (no not a hermit just encouraging a toddler to nap). It is far to bright in the room with only 1 curtain layer.

Do any of you know where I can buy ready made blackout / blockout curtains. I have tried, warehouse, spotlight, t'internet. I even asked at freedom how much for custom made curtains $700 !!

If no.... Do any of you have idiot proof instructions on how to make them?

Much appreciated

Never thought I would be moaning that's it's just too darn sunny
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping help (again) were to buy blackout curtains

loads of stuff on Trademe
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:45 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Expand your search to blackout blinds. I bought some plastic blinds from Spotlight. Good blackout effect and a range of colours. I think you can cut them to size. This was a few years back though - don't know if they still do them.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:58 pm
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

We are in rented and didn't want to attach blinds, but may have to. Thank you for the tips.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We bought blinds from Guthrie Bowron http://www.guthriebowron.co.nz Presumably they have stores in Auckland as well as Wellington. They are the equivalent of the Roseby's and could well have some.

Either that or buy them on ebay and pay the postage costs. Most people will post to NZ.

Last edited by MOSO; Feb 1st 2012 at 7:19 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:12 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellie73
We are in rented and didn't want to attach blinds, but may have to. Thank you for the tips.
Yeah not ideal. They were very cheap so you could offer to leave them there as a gift if you feel it would warm the landlord up. Maybe he/she could put them up for you!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We had some curtains made by Kresta - they are ideal, I think we bought them when Kresta were having a sale. They even measured and fitted them, cannot remember how much they were, but might be too expensive.

Maybe worth checking them out
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I got my blackout curtains from spotlight
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice

My sis (in Australia) got these suction cap take anywhere blackout blinds - good in rental accommodation as they just stick to the windows.

http://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/Gr...re-Travel.html

She brings them with her when she comes to visit in the UK so that my nephew can sleep anywhere anytime! Not sure where you'd get them in NZ but maybe you could have some sent over from UK?