British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shootings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shootings-874166/)

Charismatic Mar 12th 2016 12:02 am

Shootings

Is it just me or have a lot of people been shot over the last few days? There was the incident where some police where shot, one where a man shot his partner, there was one where a man was shot in the knee and now there has been a man shot at a train station.

We don't have enough people to start shooting each other regularly. Time perhaps to say that if the guns can't be used sensibly they will be taken away?

MrsFychan Mar 12th 2016 3:09 am

Re: Shootings

something in the water up Auckland way?

paddy234 Mar 12th 2016 3:35 am

For me coming from the North of Ireland where the population is only 2 million i find this Country incredibly safe, even the rough areas while yes having the fair few drug addicts and violent nihilists are merely petty in comparison. There will always be violence and it will only increase as the population increases especially in a society of moral relativism

MrsFychan Mar 12th 2016 11:22 pm

If the shooters don't get yer the sea may.

have you seen the statistics on drownings this year, awful

Charismatic Mar 31st 2016 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 11893334)
For me coming from the North of Ireland where the population is only 2 million i find this Country incredibly safe...

Yes, well...yes...I imagine you might.

Anyway stag season is here, let the shooting of things and people commence.

Charismatic May 7th 2016 4:16 am

...and duck season of course.

BEVS May 7th 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11941823)
...and duck season of course.

Rats! You beat me to it.

Part of the new Great Taste Cycle Trail here is currently shut due to it being duck shooting season. I'd have thought tell the shooters to stay the hell away from the cycle trail but what do I know.

There is a plea not to shoot a rare pair of wood ducks. I'm not fancying their chances.

Charismatic May 7th 2016 6:42 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11941853)
Part of the new Great Taste Cycle Trail here is currently shut due to it being duck shooting season. I'd have thought tell the shooters to stay the hell away from the cycle trail but what do I know.

Well from a distance, obscured by trees near sighted people...

...still wouldn't mistake a cyclist for a duck.

Bo-Jangles May 7th 2016 7:38 am

If it looks like a duck, cycles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

LittleGreyCat May 10th 2016 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11941868)
Well from a distance, obscured by trees near sighted people...

...still wouldn't mistake a cyclist for a duck.

Sadly, any excuse to have a go at cyclists........

....in fact you could probably sell cyclist shooting tours to London motorists and make an absolute fortune (until you very quickly ran out of cyclists).:eek:

Charismatic May 14th 2016 3:13 am

Shot in the face while camping. Linky.

Still she'll be right 'spose.

Norman Conquest May 30th 2016 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11941853)
Rats! You beat me to it.

There is a plea not to shoot a rare pair of wood ducks. I'm not fancying their chances.

Firearms safety is an issue in New Zealand. Of course, shooters should keep away from cycle trails but, likely as not, they won't. It's not that long ago that a female camper was shot dead by a hunter when she left her tent to go to the toilet in a public camping ground. Hunting fatalities and injuries are far too common and it often boils down to slack handling of weapons, poor judgment and lack of awareness. The worse ones are those who think they know it all - I have witnessed it. They think they have nothing to learn from the instructors. One of the problems is that the law is too soft on the culprits. The charge for fatal hunting accidents should be manslaughter - automatic, no ifs or buts. Mitigating circumstances can be sorted in court, but the charge should be automatic.