British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Shocking news in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/shocking-news-uk-629048/)

alanmacc Sep 4th 2009 12:53 am

Shocking news in UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8233822.stm

Found this story on the BBC news site, Im sorry but why suppress the names of these scum:frown::curse:
Name them so they can never live a normal life again, this is one of the many reasons I came here.

Does not make pleasant reading

NakiMan Sep 4th 2009 2:04 am

Re: Shocking news in UK

Totally unbelievable.

I can't think of anything else to say

love30stm Sep 4th 2009 4:14 am

That is sickening! :curse:

P2L Sep 4th 2009 4:30 am

Brings back memories of little Jamie Bulger :(:(

I just hope the sentence matches the seriousness of the crime.:unsure:

weejie Sep 4th 2009 7:53 am

Makes me sick to the stomach as a parent of 2 boys 6 and 9. One of the many reasons that we chose to leave the UK. However.

These 2 boys should be looked at thoroughly and sent to lots of therapy........what have they been through to make them capable, at such a young age, of thinking of doing these things? Maybe nothing and they are just naturally "bad" individuals. But maybe there is something else underlying that needs attended to so that they can be helped. These boys will be out in the future from wherever they are sent to and will emerge as men. Do we want them being the same as adults?

Phyl x

Margaret Parkinson Sep 4th 2009 8:01 am

Well whatever the sentence when they get out they will be given new identities and live the life of Riley on the tax payer.

jmh Sep 4th 2009 8:14 am

Probably get sent to NZ with new identities!!:eek:

AngelaandJim Sep 4th 2009 9:25 am

It's disgusting :mad: makes me sick that the likely hood is they will be given new identities. It is also one of the reasons we are leaving, can't come quick enough

GavinP Sep 4th 2009 10:29 am

I have to agree with everyone here. Stories like this are a prime reason for me (and the Kiwi wife) wanting to move to NZ.

Gav.

BEVS Sep 4th 2009 11:07 am

This violence could and does happen just as much here as anywhere else. It is not UK specific.So, people, please don't think you are escaping news of shocking and horrific violence on the news, because you are not. It is the same the world over.

jmh Sep 4th 2009 12:25 pm

Do your homework before you move if crime is a really big issue for you. I am born and bred kiwi and proud of it, and I think NZ is a wonderful country, but the truth is there is as much if not more violent crime and gang and drug/alcohol problems there, along with child abuse etc. Shocking. However as in the UK, it doesn't impact on most people's every day lives so both countries are safe to bring up children in (obviously you need to be careful what sort of area you choose live in).

Matewx Sep 5th 2009 11:03 am

I read this just now on bbc:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ex/8239448.stm

This guy is an idiot!!

lizard Sep 6th 2009 7:10 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 7903887)
Do your homework before you move if crime is a really big issue for you. I am born and bred kiwi and proud of it, and I think NZ is a wonderful country, but the truth is there is as much if not more violent crime and gang and drug/alcohol problems there, along with child abuse etc. Shocking. However as in the UK, it doesn't impact on most people's every day lives so both countries are safe to bring up children in (obviously you need to be careful what sort of area you choose live in).

I agree violent crime and child abuse is very high here. NZ is no safer than the UK. You do need to choose carefully where you want to live because there are some really rough areas.

Foxesecho Sep 6th 2009 8:16 am

Unpleseant things do not always happen in 'rough' areas. A friends daughter was walking home from school when a man approached her asking if she would like to go and have some cola and biscuits with him. Friends daughter walked away. The man got in his car and drove a little in front of friends daughter, got out and tried to get her in his car. Friends daughter ran home. This ocured in a good area on the north shore.

We still have to teach our children to be careful, regardless of where we live.

nero Sep 7th 2009 6:27 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7903593)
This violence could and does happen just as much here as anywhere else. It is not UK specific.So, people, please don't think you are escaping news of shocking and horrific violence on the news, because you are not. It is the same the world over.

Totally agree with you on this Bev. My other half works in Auckland at one of the main hospitals. Previously they worked at a large teaching hospital in London. Since arriving in NZ (just over two years) they have seen more children with fatal head injuries (from family violence etc), than they ever saw in 20 years of working in the NHS.

NZ has one of the worst child fatality rates. Domestic violence is a very big problem here in certain areas, this is sometimes also where there are large problems with drugs and alcohol. As Bev stated you will still be shocked at times by the news, NZ is lovely but not perfect. :(