Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping Timelines

Shipping Timelines

Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

shuvit is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping Timelines

Hi - well my wordly goods were packed and taken away in a container last Friday (18th August)
A little bit tearful as I waved the lorry goodbye, but moreso relief
Myself and 3 children are 'camping out' in our home until we fly out in October to be reunited with my husband (they are finding our camping expedition an adventure at least...)
Anyway, on my container tracker (we have a full container) it says it will be arriving in Napier on 13th October - what are the general timescales for it to be looked at by customs etc before it is transported to our new home?
And are the shipping timescale dates generally correct (I know 'worse things happen at sea' etc that may delay the arrival into Napier
Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21st 2017, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping Timelines

Our shipping company told us to allow for up to two weeks for customs and MPI. It's very cool that you can track your container!

Have fun with the camping, not sure I would be able to cope
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Are you tracking the container or the ship ?

Great if you're tracking the container but if it's the ship you'll find it likely your container will be offloaded on to a different vessel in Europe to come this way.
It may only take a week from the ship docking to you being notified your container can be taken away but I'd go with the advice and around 2 weeks just in case it's busy at the port etc.
They're generally pretty accurate on shipping times. The international removals companies and the actual vessel owners don't generally own the shipping containers themselves. They are rented specifically for the purpose so any delay will result in penalties which aren't passed on to the customer as you have paid a fixed fee.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Skoskie is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracking your container can be very educational!
When ours arrived into Napier,I think it was only a couple of days before we got the call to expect delivery to our door the next day. The final delivery was by Efficient and they were very impressive- very obliging and nice guys. I think we had about 10 or 11 boxes held for inspection and they were delivered later the same day. No charges.
So will you be living in Napier? We absolutely love it here.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Skoskie
Tracking your container can be very educational!
When ours arrived into Napier,I think it was only a couple of days before we got the call to expect delivery to our door the next day. The final delivery was by Efficient and they were very impressive- very obliging and nice guys. I think we had about 10 or 11 boxes held for inspection and they were delivered later the same day. No charges.
So will you be living in Napier? We absolutely love it here.
The tracking info is fab isn't it
No, we will be living on the other side of the North Island, Kapiti Coast,husband gets keys to our rental home on Saturday, all very exciting

Really you received you goods only a few days of container arriving in Napier - I'm not that confident in getting ours that quickly as we have lots of camping stuff and children's bikes etc which although clean, I am sure they will want to spray etc
Glad your enjoying the Napier area xx
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Are you tracking the container or the ship ?

Great if you're tracking the container but if it's the ship you'll find it likely your container will be offloaded on to a different vessel in Europe to come this way.
It may only take a week from the ship docking to you being notified your container can be taken away but I'd go with the advice and around 2 weeks just in case it's busy at the port etc.
They're generally pretty accurate on shipping times. The international removals companies and the actual vessel owners don't generally own the shipping containers themselves. They are rented specifically for the purpose so any delay will result in penalties which aren't passed on to the customer as you have paid a fixed fee.
Tracking the container not the ship - modern technology eh 😉
Thanks for advise x
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsCakey
Our shipping company told us to allow for up to two weeks for customs and MPI. It's very cool that you can track your container!

Have fun with the camping, not sure I would be able to cope
I shall give myself 2 week leeway in that case - thanks for advice

My bum isn't coping with the camping chairs when I try to chill of a night when the children have gone to bed 😂
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shuvit
I shall give myself 2 week leeway in that case - thanks for advice

My bum isn't coping with the camping chairs when I try to chill of a night when the children have gone to bed 😂
I got so used to sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a few weeks after our stuff shipped,I was convinced I'd fall out of a real bed when I finally got one!!

Best of luck in your new home!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

anja innes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya... sorry to jump in but could i ask what company you used for shipping?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

I used PSS
Service has been great - only issue at the moment was 1 of the 2 men who came to pack my worldly goods was a little grumpy and quite harsh, not what you need when emotions are running high!!
Tracking the container (well the ship it is on) is fab, but kind of addictive - 5 more weeks until it arrives in Napier 😁
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We also used PSS International. The UK packing guys were awesome. The only help they wanted was to keep the tea coming ;-)
NZ Van Lines this end for delivery and unpacking and no issues.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

We used Anglo Pacific. Packing up was good with no breakages on arrival. Supposed to have labels and packing lists provided by the packers but the guys who arrived hadn't heard of them but they did the job very pleasantly and professionally,well within the time frame. This end it was Efficient who delivered and unpacked and they were great - did more than we expected re puttting stuff together and they obviously had a good working relationship with Customs etc.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks that's very helpful information. We have a problem RE shipping because we live in Shetland so need to do contingency plans. They have also quoted us extortionate rates. Did you send a full container or did you have a shared one?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anja innes
Thanks that's very helpful information. We have a problem RE shipping because we live in Shetland so need to do contingency plans. They have also quoted us extortionate rates. Did you send a full container or did you have a shared one?
We had a full container - the chap who came to give us a quote worked out how much space we would need and we decided to go with that option though as it turned out we could have fitted a bit more into it.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Skoskie
We had a full container - the chap who came to give us a quote worked out how much space we would need and we decided to go with that option though as it turned out we could have fitted a bit more into it.
Could I ask how much you were quoted for a full container?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.