Shipping quotes.

Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:36 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all
Default Shipping quotes.

I'm in the middle of arranging a relocation from Brisbane to Christchurch and have got 2 quotes for shipping approximately 11m3 of goods and they seem to be massively different. The quotes are $3800 from Crown and $7000 from Allieds.
This set alarm bells ringing because Allied only charged me 950 Uk pounds to ship 4m3 from the UK to Brisbane last year.
So, are Allieds trying to rip me off, or have Crown quoted me wrongly?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping quotes.

We have the completely the same but opposite problem from the UK! Allied have quoted us £4000 and Crown £7000 for the same volume. We've had a third quote from PSS who come in at just over £4000 so it looks like Crown are either trying it on or are just mega expensive?

Double check the volumes they've quoted and what exactly they are
offering. We've also found a difference in volume estimation. For example, one company say we need 8 book boxes for one bookcase and then in the next room where we have 2 bookcases they've only put down 5 boxes for both bookcases. Another has listed 2 bikes in the loft when it's in fact 2 bike wheels.

I don't think you've got as much stuff as us, but PSS and Crown are offering us a 20 ft container and putting the rest as groupage whereas Pickfords are offering us part of a 40ft container which will keep our stuff together.

I'd say get a third quote, double check everything especially the inventory and take it from there. Like you say, the difference in figures between these companies is huge without any obvious service differences.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:12 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

The $7000 from allieds sounds like an air freight quote to me.

get them to quote for a 20 foot containers worth and see how that comes out.
we have a $6500 quote Melbourne to Christchurch for a 20 footer. pick up, pack, load, ship, customs, and deliver. just MAF formalities not covered.

that was pretty much the price from 3 different companies (it looks like we will be going with wridgways, but only because I have dealt with NZ van lines in the past in Christchurch)
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:21 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=derab;7739726]The $7000 from allieds sounds like an air freight quote to me.

The $7000 is for sea borne container, as they're telling me it'll take about 4-6 weeks to fill the container and ship it over. I think the quote is so high as they know its part of my relocation allowance, and think I wont really care as its not my money.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:13 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

sheet.. its a pity you are in Brisbane or I could go a 40 footer with you at $11000 and take more over.. sheesh..

Ripoff merchants
give wridgways a call.. and email movements NZ too.. find out who their OZ agent is for Brissie.. NZ van lines (wridgways agent) and Movements NZ were just about the most ethical people i personally dealt with back in the 90's when I lived in Chch.

might have changed since ... but thats my 2c (and I am going to use NZ van lines personally in October when I move)

BTW.. a month is standard Full container timing trans tasman.. 7 days on the water and 21 days ****** about at either end..