Sex Ed in schools

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sex Ed in schools

I went to my step daughter's Middle School the other day to find out when they were going start Sex Ed. I was informed that they don't do that here, they are more of a traditional school. It isn't that I think it is the school's responsibility but I was hoping they would start it off and then we could fill in the gaps. But no. We are going to have "the Talk" over the Holidays.

Got any tips
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex Ed in schools

Have your OH do it. That's what I'm doing.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I have a 14 yr old step son who is incredibly shy so I know we aren't too late with him, a 12 yrold step daughter (going on 15!) and an 11 yr old daughter, both OH and I will be there.
We were having a "family night" the other night and I asked the kids "when are we going to talk about sex then?" Lots of giggling and blushing (and that was my OH) but from what I gathered just asking that, some of the info they are getting from their peers is so way off the mark it is comical.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:26 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

My son is 10 and my daughter is 8. I hope I have time. Not so sure how much though, a few weeks back we arrived at soccer practice to find a couple of youngsters sans culottes, wrestling in the middle of the field in plain view of gathering parents and under 8 soccer players. They didn't seem to mind when we showed up and went on like we weren't there. One of the moms called the cops (very small town) who showed up and called both their parents. The girl's mom came and got her and the cops drove the boy off, dunno where. Turned out the girl was 14, dunno how old the boy was.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

My son is 10 and my daughter is 8. I hope I have time. Not so sure how much though, a few weeks back we arrived at soccer practice to find a couple of youngsters sans culottes, wrestling in the middle of the field in plain view of gathering parents and under 8 soccer players. They didn't seem to mind when we showed up and went on like we weren't there. One of the moms called the cops (very small town) who showed up and called both their parents. The girl's mom came and got her and the cops drove the boy off, dunno where. Turned out the girl was 14, dunno how old the boy was.
Apparently they have these signs they make with their hands to describe someone's sexual orintation....two men would be their index fingers pointing at each other (I was crying with laughter when they showed us that and told us what it meant) and two women....scissoring it up they called it.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:43 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
Apparently they have these signs they make with their hands to describe someone's sexual orintation....two men would be their index fingers pointing at each other (I was crying with laughter when they showed us that and told us what it meant) and two women....scissoring it up they called it.
I thought I was sheltered because the first time I found out about the scissor term was in relation to the band The Scissor Sisters.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:47 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

LMFAO - Thats exactly what I did!!

First we bought a book on sex for kids....I read it, decided he didn't really need to learn about homosexuality just yet, so I bought another book and left it in his room.

He threw the book back at us, shouting "I don't want this in my room, I don't want to know" - He was 10.

I then decided a more gentle female approach was required.

My girl is 8 - When she needs to know I am going to use the same system - Get the wife to do it
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
LMFAO - Thats exactly what I did!!

First we bought a book on sex for kids....I read it, decided he didn't really need to learn about homosexuality just yet, so I bought another book and left it in his room.

He threw the book back at us, shouting "I don't want this in my room, I don't want to know" - He was 10.

I then decided a more gentle female approach was required.

My girl is 8 - When she needs to know I am going to use the same system - Get the wife to do it
Bloody scaredy cats! If I am going to have to do it, my OH better bloody be there. I did have a convo with the girls (for obvious reasons) but the boy? Oh no, my old man will be there, with bells on!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:56 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Janek66
Bloody scaredy cats! If I am going to have to do it, my OH better bloody be there. I did have a convo with the girls (for obvious reasons) but the boy? Oh no, my old man will be there, with bells on!
If I tried it by myself, my kids would think I was trying to play a trick on them. "You stick what where? MMOOOOM!!! Dad's lying to us again!"
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I went on Amazon and got the boys a couple of books. I'd have to search for the titles. One was about normal development and what happens and the other was about sex and babies etc.
Then I talked top them when they were a captive audience, in the car, long drive and they couldn't get out
They did do sex ed in middle school here, 9th grade and it gets repeated in high school health class. But I wanted to get my views and opinions in first as it's really our responsibility to let them know this stuff.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh...I got a couple of books too...went through them with both the kids and then left them to read it through by themselves before the "has anyone got any questions".....my OH had a couple but I ignored him
My daughter just wanted to know how early she could have the menopause

The only sex -ed my kids get in school is though a "health" program about abstinence...that'll teach us to live in TX! We fill in the gaps so that they realise what actually happens in real life in the 21st century
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

If I tried it by myself, my kids would think I was trying to play a trick on them. "You stick what where? MMOOOOM!!! Dad's lying to us again!"
That really made me laugh!

I didn't ever just sit mine down.. I just kinda tried to bring it up at different times.. i.e. if something was said on the TV.. Haven't really said a whole lot to my son (12yrs)... Deffo for the OH.. I've had to tackle the girls questions - i'm looking forward to seeing my OH tackle it!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sambapink
That really made me laugh!

I didn't ever just sit mine down.. I just kinda tried to bring it up at different times.. i.e. if something was said on the TV.. Haven't really said a whole lot to my son (12yrs)... Deffo for the OH.. I've had to tackle the girls questions - i'm looking forward to seeing my OH tackle it!!
My 14 yr old has fancied this girl for about 2 years now. He is so painfully shy, he hasn't spoken to her. The other day I picked him up from school and she happened to walk out about 10 yards in front of him. His eyes were glued to her he tripped up the curb. He hasn't yet learned the art of subtlety.

As for my 12 yr old step daughter I HAD to have chat with her when she turned 10. It was obvious her mother wasn't going to do it and the poor girl needed to be prepped....got it done just in time.

I am quite looking forward to it to be honest, my OH and I could learn so much
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant futurePennywell has a brilliant future

When we came here my eldest daughter had just completed her first year of UK high school. She came home one day not knowing whether to laugh or cry, as she had got an A+ on her test about sex-ed. She said " Mum I feel like a real perv that I know these things!"
I have never given the 'talk' because a very wise lady told me if they are old enough to ask the question then they deserve an answer. Great advice, however, do not stick yourself in the 'no sweets/candy' check-out lane at the supermarket with an under 5. Been there, got the T-shirt!
We live in PA and it seems that all that sex ed comprises of is just don't have sex. As an aside I taught science for a couple of years and one of the lessons was about contraception. I hated it. Some wee devil always ate the banana and stole the condom.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pennywell
Some wee devil always ate the banana and stole the condom.
LMAO

my 11 yr old goes to school in VA and they have had sex ed since kindergarten. It started out learning about family structures and such. Last year they split the girls and boys up and went thru body changes, hygiene and all that.
Yesterday I talked to a local (WV) high school girl and she told me there were loads of pregnant girls at her school. So, they are not being taught sex ed at school, but they are doing "lab work" in the barn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.