Selling houses

Old Nov 30th 2013, 10:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling houses

How difficult is it to do without having to fork out with Estate Agent fees?

OH seems to think it would be a minefield of legalities.

My stance is that that is what the solicitor would be for and we would have to get one of those anyway.
Surely its a case of:
Come view my home
Agree a price
Hand over to Solicitors
?

Anyone done it themselves or tried and then gone with agent??
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling houses

I don't have any experience of selling without an agent. I would use the Estate Agent that we went through to buy our house. I just don't have the confidence to sell a house myself. Although, once the sale has been agreed and settlement date is confirmed by solicitor, I guess you are home and dry.

I have seen a property for sale in this district with it's home-made for sale sign in the front garden along with it's QR code and trademe list reference.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:41 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have a go myself first. I was chatting to an estate agent who used to live in the UK and she says it is easier to buy and sell property here than the UK. You should get yourself a solicitor for the conveyancing, but otherwise why not?

I remember many years ago my dad was putting up a for sale sign outside our property which was in the middle of nowhere. A guy was driving past, stopped and chatted and ended up buying the place.

There's quite a lot of advice on the internet so have a google.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
How difficult is it to do without having to fork out with Estate Agent fees?

OH seems to think it would be a minefield of legalities.

My stance is that that is what the solicitor would be for and we would have to get one of those anyway.
Surely its a case of:
Come view my home
Agree a price
Hand over to Solicitors
?

Anyone done it themselves or tried and then gone with agent??
The only thing an estate agent does is negotiates on your behalf.

All legal work is with a solicitor

Website $35
Noticeboard: $100
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Estate agents are responsible for advertising your property, showing people round on open home and negotiating your sale. The last estate agent we had I rewrote the advertising blurb so that it read properly and was enticing, then I rejected all the crap pics she took and submitted ones we had done. Then we actually found a buyer thro dh's work and when it looked like the sale wasn't going to happen as the agent had managed to piss him off during negotiations, we stepped in and closed the deal. For this 'work' she took nearly $14k.

Do it yourself.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Do it yourself. Get a friend to sit 'open homes' so you can't be highjacked by cheapskates.

Real estate agents here are expensive and quite often not very good glorified marketing people. You will do the hard work and your lawyer does the legal. Mega $$ for old rope.

What you can do to help is to have reports etc ready for inspection at the open home .
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

We did it ourselves just 6 months ago. We originally put it on with an agent and they only had 3 viewings so we decided to do it ourselves and voila, house sold.

It's easy to get open home signs , flags etc., from several online sites including http://www.realestate.gen.nz/new-zea...e/real-estate-

You have to pay for advertising in local papers on top of estate agent fees anyway so it's easy to phone up and get a good deal yourself, in fact I found it would have been cheaper to do it ourselves than pay the estate agents. This is what Neil Thompson, an advertising executive at the Dom Post emailed me when I enquired.
[I]We do a special sized ad for all our Private Vendors at a massively discounted rate. The size is 12cm tall x 2 columns wide which is 6.6cm. this generally gives enough room for 1 picture and enough room for a detailed description below. The cost to run this for one week is $250.00 + GST. If you were wanting to run it for 2 weeks then we do a double buy special for $225.00 + GST per week. I have attached a private vendor example from the other week to give you an idea of what you get for your money.
/I]

The Dom post also offered to do an editorial, where they come and take their own photos and write a small article on the house and area, which appears in their Saturday property guide. You can have any size, including a full front page but it is between $1600-$3000 from what I can remember.

Also to advertise your house on Trade Me is $295 until sold and you can take the photos yourself or get a professional in. Ours were $250.

It's also easy to get a sale and purchase agreement from Auckland Law Society for about $50.00 which is so easy to fill in and is legally binding. We just had to make sure our solicitor was ok with holding the buyers deposit as this gives the buyer peace of mind. Most solicitors will do this I believe.

signs.htmlhttp://www.adls.org.nz/media/240670/4002-sale-and-purchase-of-real-estate-ninth-edition-2012-highlighted-sample.pdf

We found it really straight forward to sell ourselves so I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. If you need any more info, please feel free to pm me or I could give you our phone number if you wanted a chat about selling yourselves.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:39 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for all the good advise and britsinnz I would probably call you or pop over if we do go ahead and decide it is the right thing to do. I don't want to do it as a knee jerk reaction to the problems we are experiencing at the moment so probably if we do decide to do it will be after Christmas.

Mind you if anyone knows of anyone looking for a 4 bed house ........
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:41 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that. You only moved in about a year ago.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Just being nosy - are you moving within the area or selling up and leaving??
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:02 am

if we do it would just be a few miles further North.
Could not do it when we first got here as OH job was just to far the other side of Wellington but looks like he may have another position that would enable us to move.
As you may of read previously I have said NZ is not my forever home at the moment but the deal was to do the 5yrs and go from there.

Yes SnapShot been in this house 17mths but as OH might have a new job it means we can go a bit nearer to where I wanted to initially be.

if I could I would pick the house and garden up and just move it that would be great
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:02 pm

ok being really naive here

can you just get an estate agent in to value the property ? and then try to sell privately or do you just see what is around and make a rough guess with the knowledge of the RV?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

You can do both. You can get an estate agent to look around and give you an estimate of current value, but you don't have to sign up with them. They mostly use RVs anyway, so you can use that to price it, although a lot of RVs don't reflect the housing market price. Also you can use QV or other companies to value for you, but you have to pay. Will pm you with our phone number if you want to have a chat. Good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if we do it would just be a few miles further North.
Could not do it when we first got here as OH job was just to far the other side of Wellington but looks like he may have another position that would enable us to move.
Which areas have you been looking at regarding houses for your move ? Would you get more for your money being a few miles further away from Wellington ?

I'm guessing your husband's prospective new job is to far away in the other direction to travel to where you are living now ?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:32 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Whitby ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.