Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

self pack containers

self pack containers

Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of
Default self pack containers

I have recently seen on here that a fellow BE member is having a self pack container. I think it sounds like a great idea as I am very particular about my belongings and would prefer to pack them myself.

Just wondering if anyone else has had one of these containers, if so what was your self pack experience like? what were the costs roughly? did you buy your own packing stuff, if so where from? or did you get them to supply it? etc. etc.

Any info or helpful tips would be great
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: self pack containers

My Big Sis LiffyB on here packed herself, she used Crown and i think it cost around $3500 but dont quote me on that price as not 100 per cent sure, Crown were very good and very helpful with her BUT i would not recommend doing this as i am now dealing with results from self packing, as she has gone off on a round the world sailing trip.

Liffys son and his partner are currently living with us and they helped to remove some of her stuff from the said container, she used cardboard boxes obtained from shops and friends, things were not all wrapped individually as they would have been if the removal guys had done it. Also her furniture, beds, bedside tables were not wrapped but left exposed and some of the stuff arrived covered in mould, it was not like this when put in to the container, her fridge arrived mouldy in side as well so my advise would be for the sake of a few hundred pound get the packers in.

We had our stuff packed for us, i wouldnt advise using the company we used, the packers were great in the UK no probs we had trouble this end. I think for what it would cost you time and money wise for obtaining the correct materials it really isnt worth it. Just my opinion, but whatever you do Good Luck and hope all goes well.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:51 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: self pack containers

My concern with self -packing, which I wasn't even aware you could do, would be where you stand on the insurance side of things? Marine Insurance is a different kettle of fish to the usual so I'd definately research that. Try Letton Percival on that perhaps?