Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Seems everyone has an eye on NZ

Seems everyone has an eye on NZ

Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:28 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seems everyone has an eye on NZ

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Small world huh, got to know two people from Daventry who went to school with each other but I met them completely separately. Like Genesis I moved from Northampton.
Think i will be going into Northampton next week shopping cant wait
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

During the 3 months of rain before the olympics it was incredible how many people said they were thinking of leaving the UK now although most people are thinking closer to home like France etc.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Let them come, this place needs far more people than it's currently got
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by phyns
During the 3 months of rain before the olympics it was incredible how many people said they were thinking of leaving the UK now although most people are thinking closer to home like France etc.
Crike ! Goodness knows how 'they' would get on here then.

Funnily enough, we looked to France but took a wrong turn somewhere.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Crike ! Goodness knows how 'they' would get on here then.

Funnily enough, we looked to France but took a wrong turn somewhere.
France was our 1st choice too..but we ended up here mainly because of the lingo, to practice as a nurse Kate would have to have been commercially fluent, I guess she would have after a couple of years so maybe we did not want to do it that much! Also the french red tape getting ought done is a nightmare apparently!! Also my mother who is french will not live there..not the best recommendation, mind you neither are 1 million kiwis living abroad for NZ!!!!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Same for dyslexic plombier Mr BEVS ,although I feel he would have picked up the language better than he felt he would.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by love30stm
Ive been watching Wanted Down Under on tv and its all about Oz? waiting for a NZ one, but i tell you Genesis now im in lovely Daventry Northamptionshire its a dump i know where i would rather be and cant wait to go home!
Aaaaah that delightful programme, thank you so much for reminding me of the show I watched when it was all but confirmed i'd be heading to Christchurch instead of Brisbane

One question I always ask myself was how many of those participants on the show were genuinely seeking a new life in Australia or New Zealand? Nan kept saying to me that she reckons all the participants were after a free holiday

I know one person who's genuinely looking at coming over to New Zealand for a new life due to work, and a few friends of friends who are hoping to come and help with the rebuild. I think some will look at NZ, more Australia I reckon - some even Canada.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

te he we lived in lovely Kislingbury which is in Northamptonshire although we never went into the town, we preferred to travel to MK and beyond.
Our favourite place was definatley Cornwall but all places have their issues
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
Just talking to chap from the village and he's got his eye on emigrating to NZ going forward from 2014 with wife and family. Appears everyone has the dream/reality at some stage in the UK of moving to NZ.
Clive what village or part of Devon are you travelling from?

In long sort of way we are moving from BOP to Salcombe Devon
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

At present in the heart of Devon in Holsworthy. The place lacks a little in way of entertainment but has all the benefits of country living and the daily requirements. Even has a Waitrose and soon to be built Tesco not that it is required. Has garages, fuel station, Co-Op store, auction house, car/van hire, sports centre, post office, discount store, pubs, newsagent, Cornwall Farmer, Mole Valley, Comedy Club, Veg shop, butcher, bakery, 2 white goods shops, insurance place, fish and chip shop, Indian restaurant, chinese takeaway, launderette, rental office, estate agents, cafe, kebab shop, and Ebay shop, chemist, cheese shop, locksmith, ladies clothes shop, gent outfitter, ice-cream shop, sandwich shop, card shop, house kitchenware shop......I'd better stop now. Not a bad place to live but not many connections to the outside world and work.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

lfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Leamington, and now we are here, that speaks voolumes and I worked in Daventry on Heathlands Business Park and at Coventry Airport before that....
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snaps
Just talking to chap from the village and he's got his eye on emigrating to NZ going forward from 2014 with wife and family. Appears everyone has the dream/reality at some stage in the UK of moving to NZ.
Ahhhh, Devon - I will miss you when I'm in New Zealand.

The only county with 2 coast lines and how beautiful are they? Playing cricket @ Instow's North Devon Cricket Club in the north, walking and cycling Dartmoor and Exmoor, playing on the beach at Hope Cove and eating fush and chups in Salcombe. Let's not forget clubbing in Time Piece in Exeter or that magnificent beach - Northam Burrows. The only beach in the UK, I've visited, that compares to those with a wow factor in NZ, Australia, California, etc ...

Whilst the actual decision to move to NZ is a relatively new one, it's been being thought about for quite a while. Years as opposed to months. I notice all things New Zealand - even met Rhys Darby at the Edinburgh festival this weekend (name drop ) ...

With the exception of Kiwi's who have returned home to have families after their 10 year OE, I can only recall one person who I know personally, who moved over with his Kiwi partner, swfitly followed by his parents and siblings.

Other than that I have a client whose sister is out there, but has been for decades.

I find that people from London, certainly, are more likely to go to North America, Australia and now Asia (Singapore and Hong Kong, mainly). Certainly North America and Asia are for the single/non-married who are looking to build on careers and I have a mate who moved to Melbourne with Ernst and Young.

Simply put, I suspect that the thought of moving abroad will largely be determined by; age, family situation, career progression, cash reserves.

I'm in the last year of my 3rd decade, with a young daughter and a wife how is a Kiwi. I work for a global company although I'm quite happy sacrificing a a higher salary for better quality of life and surroundings.

My wife works for the NZ govt (boo, hiss ) and now has friends back at home who are all relatively new mothers.

This story would suggest a move to NZ being a logical one, should we choose to move countries.

However, a very good friend of mine, who works for one of the top investment backs (boo, hiss ) was offered the opportunity to head up a new project in the far East.

No kids, to ties in terms of a relationship, a shed load of cash, a decent flat he can rent out in London Bridge whilst he is away, etc, etc ... No brainer. A comparable opportunity to the one he has in the far east simply wouldn't have come from NZ.

Simply put, if you know people who have a family, and put family over becoming a high flyer, then somewhere like New Zealand may be for them. There aren't many people in London that fit this brief summary.

If someone is looking to work abroad for experience, unless they're looking to go in to some quite niche industries; farming, cinematography, bio-science ... New Zealand is unlikely.

There are exceptions to the rule, however;

Finally, there is one lovely story, possibly the story that final made me to put pressure on myself to just take the plunge;

The sister-in-law of a friend, a single woman, a senior partner at a big law firm, living in London, boyfriend in New York.

She went out to New Zealand in November 2009, just for a holiday. Had been working hard to bring in a big deal all year, it came in. Took the rest of the year off to enjoy herself.

She enjoyed herself so much that by May 2010 she was set up, living in New Zealand running a winery in Marlborough, leaving her career as a lawyer behind her and saying goodbye to her boyfriend.

Clearly she had the financial backing, largely from her own bank account to make such a move, but I do take a massive amount of inspiration from her gigantic balls.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Ahhhh, Devon - I will miss you when I'm in New Zealand.

The only county with 2 coast lines and how beautiful are they? Playing cricket @ Instow's North Devon Cricket Club in the north, walking and cycling Dartmoor and Exmoor, playing on the beach at Hope Cove and eating fush and chups in Salcombe. Let's not forget clubbing in Time Piece in Exeter or that magnificent beach - Northam Burrows. The only beach in the UK, I've visited, that compares to those with a wow factor in NZ, Australia, California, etc ...
Dunno what you have got lined up, but why are you leaving Devon? Ill swap with you if you want, I think NZs a complete dump to be honest, certainly for the average working person. Watch out
Old Aug 18th 2012, 10:50 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
Dunno what you have got lined up, but why are you leaving Devon? Ill swap with you if you want, I think NZs a complete dump to be honest, certainly for the average working person. Watch out
Complete dump? Your opinion! I think the UK is a complete dump to be honest and can't wait to go home
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Complete dump? Your opinion! I think the UK is a complete dump to be honest and can't wait to go home
To be fair, and I am genuinly sorry for the reason you have returned to the UK, up until then you really didn't like much about where you lived and NZ overall and wished to return to England.
You have gone back to possibly not one of the better areas and suddenly NZ is brilliant and the whole of the UK is a dump.
There are plenty of areas in NZ you would not want to live in and plenty of areas in the UK that would offer a lovely safe quiet lifestyle.
Are we all to be slated now for liking anything to do with the UK because you have decided you were wrong?
Half of my family have returned recently and love where they have moved to. It can be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.