Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Seasoning cast iron frying pans

Seasoning cast iron frying pans

Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seasoning cast iron frying pans

Bit of an odd thread but we bought a cast iron frying pan whilst in America and I'm after some advice on those who have seasoned one before.

I've tried thin layers of oil and then into the oven which has had limited success. I am currently experimenting with a thicker coating of oil to see if that works better. So far all I have done is made the house smell of burning oil and my eyes sting

Is this right? Or should I have persevered with the thin layers but do it many more times? I've used canola oil which should have a higher smoking point.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:32 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seasoning cast iron frying pans

Originally Posted by Persephone
Bit of an odd thread but we bought a cast iron frying pan whilst in America and I'm after some advice on those who have seasoned one before.

I've tried thin layers of oil and then into the oven which has had limited success. I am currently experimenting with a thicker coating of oil to see if that works better. So far all I have done is made the house smell of burning oil and my eyes sting

Is this right? Or should I have persevered with the thin layers but do it many more times? I've used canola oil which should have a higher smoking point.
Sounds as though you are oiling it correctly and with the right oil so how are you cleaning it after cooking ? Not a dish washer I hope ?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I use salt for seasoning my pancake pan. I add a good thick layer of salt and heat until hot on the hob. Then I use a brush to move it around, throw the salt away and lightly coat with oil. I then cover it in plastic and leave until it's next required.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I've been washing it by hand in hot water but the problem is that I don't think it's seasoned properly as it's not as non stick as it should be. I've avoided using soap as that removes the oil.
We never use the dishwasher anyway. There's only two of us and I won't run it partly full, neither do I want dirty dishes sitting around for days - even if we had enough plates to do that!

Anyway, thick or thin layer of oil?

Might try the salt
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been washing it by hand in hot water but the problem is that I don't think it's seasoned properly as it's not as non stick as it should be. I've avoided using soap as that removes the oil.
We never use the dishwasher anyway. There's only two of us and I won't run it partly full, neither do I want dirty dishes sitting around for days - even if we had enough plates to do that!

Might try the salt
I've only ever washed mine once and that was before the first time I ever used it! I give mine a good wipe round with kitchen roll and then coat with a thin layer of oil and put in a plastic bag. I usually season it once a year, depending on how often I use it.

Thin layers of oil with a high smokepoint eg. flaxseed oil is the way to go IMO.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Safflower oil or rice bran oil has a much higher smoking point than canola.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:37 am
Queen of the Underworld

Might buy some rice bran or flaxseed oil next time I'm out. I've never seen safflower oil anywhere but then I don't hang out in the oil aisle in supermarkets that often

I used way too much oil this time-it's gone all gloopy and syrupy on the pan. Might have to scrub it and start from scratch again first I'll let it cool and bake it again tomorrow to see if that helps
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:38 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Might try the salt
Thin coats of canola 3-4 times. Soap will not remove the coat only prolonged wet will do that. Make sure the heating ring under the cast base covers the whole pan as CI is not a good heat conductor and do not expect your pan when coated to be as good as a non stick unit. C.I pans best use is from top ring and into oven cooking where it will be continually re coating. Mine does a fantastic job of cooking my salmon steaks to get crispy skins, off the ring under the grill and finish with a knob of butter and lemon squeeze.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Marzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good tips here from a chef.

The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats
Old Apr 9th 2015, 12:45 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Thin coats of canola 3-4 times. Soap will not remove the coat only prolonged wet will do that. Make sure the heating ring under the cast base covers the whole pan as CI is not a good heat conductor and do not expect your pan when coated to be as good as a non stick unit. C.I pans best use is from top ring and into oven cooking where it will be continually re coating. Mine does a fantastic job of cooking my salmon steaks to get crispy skins, off the ring under the grill and finish with a knob of butter and lemon squeeze.
Thanks Stormer I always make sure I dry it thoroughly using the residual heat of the oven or ring after cleaning.
I'm probably just being impatient
Old Apr 9th 2015, 4:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of an odd thread but we bought a cast iron frying pan...
This is the best cast iron frying pan threads I've read this year.

...Well top 10 anyway.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

This is definitely No.1. This is the gold standard that all cast iron frying pan threads will have to live up to in future
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:14 am
Account Closed

This is definitely No.1. This is the gold standard that all cast iron frying pan threads will have to live up to in future
And I shall be proud to be able to say "I was there."
Old Apr 10th 2015, 3:21 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
And I shall be proud to be able to say "I was there."
And you were one of the original followers, one of the first

I feel like I am the God of frying pan threads
Old Apr 10th 2015, 3:35 am

Dare say it will pan out OK in the end....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.