Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are the schools as bad as i've read

Are the schools as bad as i've read

Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the schools as bad as i've read

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
Grads go to the UK because there is no way on earth they can earn enough in NZ to pay off their degrees.

Essentially the costs of Uni force them overseas

Nice policy that one
My Teaching degree is costing about $5k per year for 3 years! ECE Teachers earn approx. $28k a year...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welly Wife
Wow !!!

My experience this far with my 10 year has been fabulous. As for homework ... he has at least 100 maths questions and 3 peices of written work each week plus a spelling list of about 15 words.

Sorry for those of you who have not been impressed with your childs education.
WOW, now THIS is what I expect for my son! Well done for finding a school that cares
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
Toetickler, sorry to further dampen your spirits, but I would have to agree that the secondary (and primary for that matter) school system (we're talking 'state' system here of course - which is not 'free' by the way) is a joke, an absolute joke. There are too many reasons for that for me to go into here at the moment, but one major one consists of three words: Tall Poppy Syndrome. If your children are bright and/or you want your children to have the best education possible, NZ is NOT the place to bring them up - unless PERHAPS you have loads of money and can afford to put them into private schooling, but even then that's no guarantee (as it usually would be in UK) that they'll be getting a top rate education.

I feel, to the point of actual depression, that I've let my children down by bringing them to New Zealand. They are (or were anyway) extremely intelligent children with a wonderful thirst for knowledge, but the school system here has pretty much 'cured' them of this 'anomaly'. My eldest is the sort who would have gained full scholarships to top UK public schools if he had continued the way he was going 'back home', he was (and still is) always at the very top of his classes - highest scorer in exams, etc... But 'top of class' here is meaningless, academic achievement is not valued and so talent and intelligence (giftedness) in students are not only not looked for, recognized or understood, they're actually discouraged as they make a child 'stand out' - which just won't do in a Tall Poppy Syndrome culture like New Zealand's. The raison d'etre of schools here is pretty much just to pull students either down or up to 'average', no less and no more. Whether or not one's child is naturally academic minded and/or in the ranks of top achievers at school (most children aren't), the presumption in UK is that one will still always want and expect the best education possible for the child - one certainly doesn't purposely 'aim low' there. But here? The most important message your kids will get at school here is that academics really don't matter. Neither of my kids has had one single school text book in 5 1/2 years, not one. It's considered here that once the student leaves school at 3 p.m., it's too much to ask them to study or further their learning during 'home time'. My youngest never has homework, and the elder has it once a week but is forgiven for not doing it, so often DOESN'T do it. And so on and on and on and on....

There will be a fair number of people on this forum I'd hazard who couldn't care less about all of that though, let's not forget that Tall Poppy Syndrome does favour those in the middle and, especially, those at the bottom (as it will bring the lowest 25% up to 'average')! So you have to be very careful WHO you ask about the schools & school system here - just remind yourself that someone whose child fared poorly in a UK school may very well be thrilled to find that their child can manage at the lower standard schools here in NZ, and may therefore give a very deceptively glowing report about the NZ school system.... (I have lots of experience of schools in UK, USA and in numerous countries abroad, and have already put one child into one of the top USA univeristies on a full academic scholarship. NZ schools are the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the world, and no way either of my younger two could ever hope to gain entry to a top university in UK or USA , much less earn a scholarship to one, after schooling solely at even the so-called 'best' state primary and secondary schools here in Christchurch.)

P.S. If anyone in UK had any idea what exactly my eldest's one-and-only 'homework' assignment consists of each week, I have no doubt they would be shocked - IF they believed me! When I'm ready to start burning my bridges, which will be very soon please god, I'll give details!
Most people are getting their children out of the U.K. to supposedly better themselves. I remember this argument years ago with two Brits,one who was certainly worried about the system over there. They wonder why its called backward after reading your post Black Sheep it will open many an eye.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

hang on so your expecting a school system miles better than the UK one????

If you really want some fun check out the costs of uni education ;-)
I think most people will be disappointed if they think that..but then again the UK edu. system is NOT that bad is it?? Neither is the NZ one from what I can glean. We have 3 kids at primary school and are very impressed with the quality..I guess like healthcare around the nation education has 'good spots' and not so good spots.

I know 2 Uk kids who went to a really average school and are quite the academic success that one would have not thought from such a school..theres MUCH more to a child's education I think than the school. The latter kids excelled because of their attitude COUPLED with their parents attitude.

I did not come to NZ for my kids education..it was for the (what I perceive to be) a wholistic better way of life for them..in ALL respects. I am very happy with the education part of the deal..and ALL other areas!!!!

Suffice to say NZ is NOT full of thickos so the education system MUST work. That's not to say its perfect..but we are very happy with it.

Anyway what country has a perfect education systen WHERE they speak english as 1st lingo..which is what most of us need.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly NZ trained scientists,medical professionals , engineers and so - forth are gladly welcomed by other countries. I guess some people manage to get a fairly decent education in New Zealand ...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of

Having just read all of the previous threads.. I'm now worrying about NZ education. Prior to this thread all we've heard is good reports about the education system.

Our family is planning to move to Rotorua and we have looked on the web at the local schools for our 11yr & 13yr old who are both achieving well in the UK.
They appear to be good.... Does anyone have any experience of these schools?

The last thing we want to do is ruin our children's future by moving to NZ
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
My Teaching degree is costing about $5k per year for 3 years! ECE Teachers earn approx. $28k a year...

cool now take 28 minus the tax (remember no tax free amount) take off living expenses for the year, and how long would that take you to pay off the student debt of 15k.

Then do the same calc if you were a fill in teacher in the uk
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Interestingly NZ trained scientists,medical professionals , engineers and so - forth are gladly welcomed by other countries. I guess some people manage to get a fairly decent education in New Zealand ...

Indeed highly motivated trained and hard workers.

Just a pity they aren't working in NZ isn't it...

Next time you read in granny herald about a shortage of medical staff.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cool now take 28 minus the tax (remember no tax free amount) take off living expenses for the year, and how long would that take you to pay off the student debt of 15k.

Then do the same calc if you were a fill in teacher in the uk
I'm with you! That's what the "..." was for
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I'm with you! That's what the "..." was for

Sorry my mistake,

I just find it depressing, train people up in a good education system so they can pass skills on and improve the country and the next generation.

Then just gear it so they leave instead
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed highly motivated trained and hard workers.

Just a pity they aren't working in NZ isn't it...

Next time you read in granny herald about a shortage of medical staff.
I absolutely agree. My point is that the NZ education system produces top notch professionals. The key being motivation and hard work. Probably the same in any country.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

ohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really nice

We've been more than happy with our sons education in NZ. We moved here when he was 10, and he is about to leave at age 18 with university entrance so has been through primary, intermediate and high school here.

The schools put more emphasis than UK schools on actual social development and confidence building. This worked for my son by giving him the confidence in himself to believe he could achieve the very best results.
I think some expats are surprised and a bit worried by the more relaxed feel of teaching pre high school age as they don't "just" concentrate on the three r's but they certainly catch up during high school and by then are as a rule very well rounded and educated people.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:34 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

We're extremely happy with the school our kids are in. If anything they work them too hard, with a long school day and the expectation of up to 3 hours homework per night in the senior years.

There are gifted children programmes, and most high schools operate streaming to allow kids to progress at their pace.

Certainly when comparing to where we were in SW London, we have found it much easier to get into an excellent school here than would have been the case back there. And it is incredibly cheap by comparison.

I also note that NZ Uni graduates do get scholarships or otherwise get into UK and US post graduate programmes, and I'm not aware there is any particular academic disadvantage in going through NZ school/university system (compared to any other international students). Any barrier is more likely to be financial.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:16 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I have three children in school. The youngest is in junior school. She is not doing as well as she could be and I feel she probably would have been pushed more in the Uk. The second is in intermediate school and doing very well. He gets lots of homework and the teacher has our email address and we keep in contact through that and our parent teacher meetings. The eldest on is in secondary school. He is doing great and has no intention of leaving (as have all his mates in the Uk) he is 16yrs old and wants to be an architect, I dont imagine that is something he would have chosen in the Uk, his teachers are very supportive and I get lots of feedback from the school regarding his work. Just before his exams the teachers were staying late every night to help the boys out with anything they wanted to go over or any help needed in any subject.
With regards to the youngest, I am looking into getting a maths tutor as this is what I think she needs help in. I have seen adverts of young uni students who do this part time and its not too expensive.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Exactly, and they are also generally very respected.

The OECD reports on education place NZ in a very good position, better than the UK in many areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...ent_Assessment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.