Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye to visitors?

Saying goodbye to visitors?

Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Saying goodbye to visitors?

Does it get any easier?

I have had my Dad to visit for just over 2 weeks, and just dropped him off at the airport and feel awful. Not quite as bad as the goodbyes when we left the UK, but feel kinda empty and very sad

Don't get me wrong, we've had a lovely time showing him our favourite spots of Canterbury, but has made me realise how much we miss him, and more importantly - how much he misses seeing his grandchildren.

Have only been here a year - so at least another year before we could even think about sponsoring him to come over. In the mean time, I guess we'll have to make do with yearly visits .. my turn to return to the UK next year with the kids.

Lou
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:15 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saying goodbye to visitors?

I am dreading the same thing when our besties come over in October.

We have been here over 2 years now and still miss them all dreadfully; especially the kids and to be honest, it's been a bit like leaving family behind without them.

They aren't even here yet and I'm already dreading the goodbyes, just hoping we can persuade them to 'come home' sooner rather than later(he's Kiwi)

Try not to focus too much on what you're misssing out on and remember all the good bits of the last few weeks, not the last hour of it. I really hope that the emotions lift a bit more over the next few days
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:19 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, do you know that your Dad is entitled to stay in the country for up to 9 months in any 18 month period?

Maybe he can come for longer next time? and i think he can continue to claim his state pension (if he is of that age) whilst here too because of the reciprical tax agreement but not 100% on that one
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Thanks .. Unfortunately Dad is still working, and only able to take a max of 3 weeks in one go, which is the main limitation.

He's on his way home now as the plane took off about 30 mins ago ....
Old Aug 20th 2009, 6:57 am
Just Joined

fionao is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, not sure it does get any easier to be honest, been here 3 years and been very very lucky with the amount of visits, mum has been out twice and my dad once, several groups of friends have come and every time it hurts like mad when they leave.............. however goodbyes are the hardest and I find a few days later is does pass.

I found it way harder going to the UK to visit and leaving for some reason.

goodbyes are just yucky
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionao
Hey, not sure it does get any easier to be honest, been here 3 years and been very very lucky with the amount of visits, mum has been out twice and my dad once, several groups of friends have come and every time it hurts like mad when they leave.............. however goodbyes are the hardest and I find a few days later is does pass.

I found it way harder going to the UK to visit and leaving for some reason.

goodbyes are just yucky
You are all very lucky really.

For us, parents will not visit ( they say its too far) and we can not afford to go back very often. We have two babies and only one income earner. Its a huge cost to go back to the UK ( much cheaper UK - NZ - UK )

Is it they are doing this to force us back home or dont they give a ****?

If you are from a more well to do background and your family will travel, its not that tough being here.

We have friends who have relations that visit lots and they go to the UK lots ( but they have the cash) They say "NZ is great, why would you ever consider wanting to go and live In the UK all the time"?

They have no idea about being so far away and having to make the decision. Stay in NZ and never see your family ( partly because they will not make the effort) or go back to the UK.

Just be glad they visit and you can go home regular.

Last edited by lizard; Aug 21st 2009 at 12:53 pm.