Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Originally Posted by lardyl
Thank God you're not budgeting for me as you seem to forget those pesky deductions that employees have to pay.
So 125k becomes 90k to begin with on PAYE, or 28% gone before you start. Then these families could have a student loan or two, that's another 12% each to IRD. That's 40% or possibly more lopped off to begin with.

Kiwisaver or some form of retirement planning is another factor, although I imagine that you think all these people own multiple investment properties so that is taken care of?? All because they can budget or plan financially. Of course.

And dental costs, doctors visits, school "donations", medical insurances, income protection, savings, leisure time costs - holidays, sports clubs, etc. Those people have kids so there are lots of other things to budget in, like child care, etc.

Don't forget transport costs as cities like Auckland have p-poor public transport and the cost of fuel is high if you sit in a traffic jam on your 1/2/3 hour commute to work.

The plain facts are that the frankly stupid cost of housing in Auckland in particular means that skilled professionals, essential workers, etc are leaving the city and makes me wonder who is moving in to replace them?
Tax obviously needs taking into account but transport, Kiwisaver and dental costs don't suddenly become "required" at higher income levels and discretionary at lower levels. The simple fact is higher income earners have more choices, making those choices doesn't automatically make their lives a struggle in the same way that those struggling on the breadline have to deal with. And I'm speaking as a higher-earner.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 9:14 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary equivalents between UK and NZ

Having been both a high earner and a beneficiary (for a short while) then I hear what you are saying. Was just pointing out that the discretionary spend that was pulled out of that $100k to $125k gross income was nowhere near what was being suggested.
Dental, doctor and the rest are not really optional, especially if you have kids. Which was kind of the point of the suff article.