Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Salaries in New Zealand

Salaries in New Zealand

Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:04 pm
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough
Default Salaries in New Zealand

There's an article in today's NZ Herald which gives some stats about average salaries for a selection of occupations.

Some entry level salaries for marketing, sales and accounting are between $30-35k, which is considered to be enough for meagre rental living for a family...but not enough for serious savings or home ownership in a major NZ city.

The average gross weekly earnings for full time workers is stated to be $826.08 and there is a figure of $300,000 for an Auckland mortgage.

Here's the link if anyone wants to read the full article http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/11...ectid=10394056
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salaries in New Zealand

Originally Posted by tootsie
There's an article in today's NZ Herald which gives some stats about average salaries for a selection of occupations.

Some entry level salaries for marketing, sales and accounting are between $30-35k, which is considered to be enough for meagre rental living for a family...but not enough for serious savings or home ownership in a major NZ city.

The average gross weekly earnings for full time workers is stated to be $826.08 and there is a figure of $300,000 for an Auckland mortgage.

Here's the link if anyone wants to read the full article http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/11...ectid=10394056

Gotta be said-I don't think I know anyone who went toNZ to make a killing, or to become a millionaire,as long as we can eat,chill and pay mortgage,and have enough for a hol once in a long while,that'll do me.
Ta for the web site tho.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

it says about pay rises etc in the UK in comparison

one company I used to work for used to give a maximum of a 4% pay riseand you had to absolutely smash your sales target to get that and do one hundred and one more ridiculous things to get it, and you didnt get it it if you missed your target by 1000 pounds...when I fist started with them the targets were attainable, but by the time I left you had an increase of 30% on the previous year to do and had to fight off competition from the companies own bloody website, it was terrible

Never work in a travel agent where the politics outweigh everything else

OK rant over now
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting reading.
Also interesting to compare the average full-time NZ wage of just under $43k to the average UK equivalent of around £22k. I've always worked on a rule of thumb of halving a $ amount to compare with UK costs in £, and this shows it's a good rough comparison.
I wouldn't like to be buying the average Auckland house on the average NZ income, but then neither would I like to buy a house anywhere inside the M25 on the average UK income.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:09 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Interesting reading.
Also interesting to compare the average full-time NZ wage of just under $43k to the average UK equivalent of around £22k. I've always worked on a rule of thumb of halving a $ amount to compare with UK costs in £, and this shows it's a good rough comparison.
I wouldn't like to be buying the average Auckland house on the average NZ income, but then neither would I like to buy a house anywhere inside the M25 on the average UK income.
Solution dont settle for Average.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:27 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Solution dont settle for Average.
Lucky I am still getting a salary from the UK for a few hours work a night.

Do you think I should tell them I am in Oz not the UK?

Thought working from home covers anywhere
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky I am still getting a salary from the UK for a few hours work a night.

Do you think I should tell them I am in Oz not the UK?

Thought working from home covers anywhere

As long as they seeing the results,who cares? What if you have to interview for a higher position? Could be costly!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:06 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

True - home can be anywhere can't it . Anyway, what you're doing is called "offshoring" something that quite a few UK companies do to get work done overnight.

As for averages - never liked them myself medians would be better perhaps.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:59 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by danny.f
As long as they seeing the results,who cares? What if you have to interview for a higher position? Could be costly!!

I own the company
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I own the company

Superb!! Drinks are on you then!