Saint Georges Day

Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

sludger is on a distinguished road
Default Saint Georges Day

Go to http://www.saintgeorgesday.com.au
to see how we are celebrating in perth W.A.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:09 pm
Born to run

d1eng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saint Georges Day

Originally Posted by sludger
Go to http://www.saintgeorgesday.com.au
to see how we are celebrating in perth W.A.
All the best for St. Georges day mate. This one will be my last in England ! We tried to move to Perth but unfortunately they wouldn't accept my skills, so we are looking at Nz at the moment. Have a good one.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:16 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is St George Day?? Dont mean to sound rude but Ive never heard of it so would be greatful if someone could enlighten me
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shepslady
Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is St George Day?? Dont mean to sound rude but Ive never heard of it so would be greatful if someone could enlighten me
Shepslady, in the UK, there are 4 patron Saints of the 4 nations and each Saint has a special day for the nationalities to celebrate.
St George is England's.
St David is Wales's.
St Andrew is Scotland's.
St Patrick is Ireland's.

If you haven't heard of the latter, you must be living on planet Mars-especially if you are in the USA!! It seems just about every non-Irish person celebrates St Patrick's Day-god knows why. My Irish friends don't even celebrate it!!!

Some Brits choose to celebrate their Saint's day, like Pledger. Others don't-like me. Everyone does their own thing. It's only the St Patricks Day that's been marketed to the hilt and back ie. shamrocks and leprechauns popping up everywhere, except Ireland and Northern Ireland!!

Anyway, happy St Georges Day to you guys. ( I don't know when St Andrews Day is but methinks it could be November 30th)
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:03 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Shepslady, in the UK, there are 4 patron Saints of the 4 nations and each Saint has a special day for the nationalities to celebrate.
St George is England's.
St David is Wales's.
St Andrew is Scotland's.
St Patrick is Ireland's.

If you haven't heard of the latter, you must be living on planet Mars-especially if you are in the USA!! It seems just about every non-Irish person celebrates St Patrick's Day-god knows why. My Irish friends don't even celebrate it!!!

Some Brits choose to celebrate their Saint's day, like Pledger. Others don't-like me. Everyone does their own thing. It's only the St Patricks Day that's been marketed to the hilt and back ie. shamrocks and leprechauns popping up everywhere, except Ireland and Northern Ireland!!

Anyway, happy St Georges Day to you guys. ( I don't know when St Andrews Day is but methinks it could be November 30th)
LOL I have heard of all the Saints but didnt know they were all celebrated so excuse my ignorance. Your not wrong in thinking Mars either lol.
As for St Patricks day it is a real big day here in The US, guess that goes back to the Irish Immigrants from way back. Its a day I celebrate too but not for the same reasons....March 17th is my wedding anniversary & yes hubby chose that day so he wouldnt forget it (wise man huh?)
Thankyou for enlightening me though I did find your post interesting.
Happy St George Day to you too!!

shepslady
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

LOL I have heard of all the Saints but didnt know they were all celebrated so excuse my ignorance. Your not wrong in thinking Mars either lol.
As for St Patricks day it is a real big day here in The US, guess that goes back to the Irish Immigrants from way back. Its a day I celebrate too but not for the same reasons....March 17th is my wedding anniversary & yes hubby chose that day so he wouldnt forget it (wise man huh?)
Thankyou for enlightening me though I did find your post interesting.
Happy St George Day to you too!!

shepslady
Err, shepslady, I dont think you've quite got the hang of this... I'm Scottish, I therefore I don't celebrate St Georges Day!!! The English, Welsh and Irish don't celebrate St Andrews Day!!! You only celebrate the Saint of your nation!!! (or in the case of the Irish, everyone seems to celebrate St Patricks Day, regardless of their nationality!)
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:12 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Err, shepslady, I dont think you've quite got the hang of this... I'm Scottish, I therefore I don't celebrate St Georges Day!!! The English, Welsh and Irish don't celebrate St Andrews Day!!! You only celebrate the Saint of your nation!!! (or in the case of the Irish, everyone seems to celebrate St Patricks Day, regardless of their nationality!)
Ouch sorry about that I didnt give it a thought but now Ive looked at your name I see my mistake. My humble apologies
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Ouch sorry about that I didnt give it a thought but now Ive looked at your name I see my mistake. My humble apologies
I wasn't sure if you'd realise from my forum name that I was Scottish so that was a tad presumptious of me to assume you would know!! Sorry!!

Mmmm, I can't wait to get home to taste some marvellous tayberries this summer!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't sure if you'd realise from my forum name that I was Scottish so that was a tad presumptious of me to assume you would know!! Sorry!!

Mmmm, I can't wait to get home to taste some marvellous tayberries this summer!!!!
Anything's better than porridge...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Don
Anything's better than porridge...

There's nowt wrong with a bowl of porridge-particularly when it's cold!! I adore cold porridge!! Keeps you regular and gives you brains as my wise old grandpa used to tell me!!
Oohhh and another thing, I dont drown it with sugar/raisins/syrup/cream like our namby pamby English relatives-utter wimps!! It's only plain, unadulterated Scott's (has to be Scott's-none of your other branded malarkey) porridge oats for me. Yes, it's quite possible to be a conisseur of porridge you know!!