British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Safest place in the world to live is: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/safest-place-world-live-612745/)

Genesis Jun 4th 2009 8:04 am

Re: Safest place in the world to live is:

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 7632947)
I can't say I ever felt unsafe in the UK to be honest.

The survey seems to be about 'peaceful' rather than safest, certainly as well given the NZ drivers. Having just now been knocked off twice on my bike in the last 8 months I can't say I feel particularly safe on the roads that for sure.

I did not in general..it was just the last 2-3 years in Northampton town. what an ugly violent dump it was...from my perspective anyway. Used to go to the pub with just 20 quid...no watch, no wedding ring....robberies were rife...as was drunken violence. Would NOT go into the town centre at weekends. Maybe my perspective was skewed as Plod.

Wellington Will Jun 4th 2009 1:20 pm

Yes, some one else said it was "Peaceful" not "safest"

And this is measured based on the absence of conflict, international and domestic.

NZ did better than last year because of the New National Government is stronger and has a good majority.

WRT safe, although it does, undoubtedly feel safer in NZ, the facts are, from the OECD, New Zealand is second only to Ireland in 26 OECD countries in internationally comparable data on vehicle, theft and contact crimes. 22% of New Zealanders experienced such a crime in a 12-month period, compared to an OECD average of 16%.

I think it feels safer because of the way newspapers and media report crimes. It's not so in your face and because of the much smaller population other things get covered in news reports too.

love30stm Jun 4th 2009 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7634798)
I did not in general..it was just the last 2-3 years in Northampton town. what an ugly violent dump it was...from my perspective anyway. Used to go to the pub with just 20 quid...no watch, no wedding ring....robberies were rife...as was drunken violence. Would NOT go into the town centre at weekends. Maybe my perspective was skewed as Plod.

Oh come on I think your exaggerating a bit, Northampton is not that bad!

well saying that I only went to Northampton for shopping, and went out at night their years ago :eek: now I feel old :lol:

Genesis Jun 4th 2009 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 7635529)
Oh come on I think your exaggerating a bit, Northampton is not that bad!

well saying that I only went to Northampton for shopping, and went out at night their years ago :eek: now I feel old :lol:

I think my experience of NN might be a bit more recent than yours. And yes it was THAT bad....really bad. Rapes and murders on the common behind my house. Very scary place these days and its getting worse as I still am in touch with someone who lives there.

hazeandsteve Jun 4th 2009 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7635777)
Rapes and murders on the common behind my house.

I must say a huge congratulations on managing to leave UK before you got caught...:p

lardyl Jun 4th 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 7635941)
I must say a huge congratulations on managing to leave UK before you got caught...:p

........for being unable to catch the perps. :p

Bits of Northampton were pretty dodgy when I was doing fire investigations there (96 to 06) - had one nearby in NNshire where there was a vigilante group burning out a "alleged" drug dealer's flat and the other local vigilantes were about to go after the arsonists with *their* shotgun before we managed to identify them........all of it was on CCTV, pity that plod couldn't spot it, luckily though DrL sorted the footage and got the little sh!t$ faces to the camera.
Result! Or not as it probably saved the poor dears from a beating or knee-capping or worse in the local justice system.....

Plus there was the "picture-postcard" village where there were something like 25 arsons in 6 months.
If I said I "did" a couple of those then it might be misconstrued but I did.........

love30stm Jun 4th 2009 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7635777)
I think my experience of NN might be a bit more recent than yours. And yes it was THAT bad....really bad. Rapes and murders on the common behind my house. Very scary place these days and its getting worse as I still am in touch with someone who lives there.

Well Ive only been in New Zealand since july 2007, lived in Daventry, so Northampton was not far!
and like I said I never went out in Northampton at night! not since my twentys!