British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Safest place in the world to live is: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/safest-place-world-live-612745/)

Richard_Gregan Jun 3rd 2009 2:28 pm

Safest place in the world to live is:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...-peace-ranking

I would acknowledge that the thread on kiwi drivers was probably not factored into this article.

Keith Jun 3rd 2009 3:01 pm

Re: Safest place in the world to live is:

And Canada is #8 unlike just south of that is #83

Perry Groves Jun 3rd 2009 5:09 pm

U.K. is not doing so well, they must have been to London recently!

janek Jun 3rd 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Gregan (Post 7630117)

I would acknowledge that the thread on kiwi drivers was probably not factored into this article.

I wish they wouldn't either conduct and/or publish these surveys, next thing you know New Zealand is being populated by immigrants whom then start moaning about the driving or the fact there is no Waitrose....

CarolineSwan Jun 3rd 2009 8:02 pm

:rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by janek (Post 7630944)
I wish they wouldn't either conduct and/or publish these surveys, next thing you know New Zealand is being populated by immigrants whom then start moaning about the driving or the fact there is no Waitrose....

srah Jun 3rd 2009 8:04 pm

:lol::rofl:

Ash1 Jun 3rd 2009 8:08 pm

Love it:thumbsup:

love30stm Jun 4th 2009 7:03 am

ha ha good one :thumbup::rofl:

sr71 Jun 4th 2009 7:59 am

Surely 'safest' is a synonym for 'dullest'?

Genesis Jun 4th 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Richard Gregan (Post 7630117)

I must say save for the shite driving I never felt safer. Worrying about being the victim of crime is but a distant memory for me. Even if some idiot had his arm chopped off in Palmy at a party on saturday then left the hospital against the wishes of the 14 experts who spent 10 hours and $100k of DHB money sewing it back on (WHAT A KNOBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..... I still feel very, very safe here. Mind you I felt similarly safe when I lived in Mallorca back in the early 80's as a holiday rep....even amongst all the pissed brits!!!!!!

Genesis Jun 4th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 7632508)

No such thing as a dull country. Only dull people. Dullness comes from within. I have never ever been bored (dull = bored IMO) in NZ in 4 years. There is always something to do in every country. Everywhere is what you make of it. Dull people try to blame it on their environs.

Am Loolah Jun 4th 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 7632508)

Actually, the result is on "peaceful" not "safest"; from the article ...

"The index was collated by the Economist Intelligence Unit for a new thinktank called the Institute for Economics and Peace. It uses a weighted mix of 23 criteria, including foreign wars, internal conflicts, respect for human rights, the number of murders, the number of people in jail, the arms trade, and degrees of democracy."

lapsed kiwi Jun 4th 2009 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7632738)
No such thing as a dull country. Only dull people. Dullness comes from within. I have never ever been bored (dull = bored IMO) in NZ in 4 years. There is always something to do in every country. Everywhere is what you make of it. Dull people try to blame it on their environs.

:thumbup:

chocolate cake Jun 4th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 7632724)
I must say save for the shite driving I never felt safer. Worrying about being the victim of crime is but a distant memory for me. Even if some idiot had his arm chopped off in Palmy at a party on saturday then left the hospital against the wishes of the 14 experts who spent 10 hours and $100k of DHB money sewing it back on (WHAT A KNOBBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..... I still feel very, very safe here. Mind you I felt similarly safe when I lived in Mallorca back in the early 80's as a holiday rep....even amongst all the pissed brits!!!!!!

I can't say I ever felt unsafe in the UK to be honest.

The survey seems to be about 'peaceful' rather than safest, certainly as well given the NZ drivers. Having just now been knocked off twice on my bike in the last 8 months I can't say I feel particularly safe on the roads that for sure.

lardyl Jun 4th 2009 11:52 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 7632947)
..... Having just now been knocked off twice on my bike in the last 8 months I can't say I feel particularly safe on the roads that for sure.

just buy a tank like GI-Jane(k) who feels unsafe slumming it on public transport (what with being a control freak and all.....?) and probably has an un-Euro-NCAPped Centurion Tank or US-Army issue HumVee to get to and from wherever she goes (maybe a fox hole hideout from the terrorists that stalked her throughout her OE as she lived in fear in London). She could go about her business in style and complete safety (well her's at least.......).

Only problem for us whinging Pomms if we were to adopt this approach would be the hand wringing were we to run over/crush a cyclist, pedestrian, public transport "user" or other form of low-life with the monstrous behemoth............oh yeah but the bonus is that you could annoy the hell out of the Browner_ who would hate the "exhausting" noise.....:rofl:

"True Kiwis" would have no such compunction and would be tough enough to feed the roadkill to their dogs/pigs/cuzzies and tell us so right here on "their forum"...........:p