Royals and NZ

Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Royals and NZ

I have heard a bit about the Republic v, Royalty debate in Oz, but have not heard much about the feelings of people in NZ. What are trhe feelings of those who raed the board ?

https://leftinnewzealand.wordpress.c...S3Wmoy65fwS5h0
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Royals and NZ

Originally Posted by scot47
. What are trhe feelings of those who raed the board ?
Treaty of Waitangi was signed between Maori Tribes and The Crown. To become a republic the very foundational document on which the right to cohabit New Zealand is based would have to be renegotiated. That would appear to me to be an exceedingly difficult and likely protracted process, in which New Zealand does not need to engage, and would almost certainly end in no change. This would essentially become a bigger and more complex version of the flag debate.

My suggestion is politicians should spend their time on more pressing issues.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Royals and NZ

Personally I'm not interested in the royal family. I consider them anachronistic in this age. When we had our citizenship ceremony we had to swear allegiance to the queen. We weren't thrilled about that but you do what you have to. At least we could choose not to swear an oath to some god!
If we had a referendum on the matter, then I would vote to sever ties with the monarchy.
However, I agree with Charismatic, there are more pressing matters here.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately they bore the tears out of me and I usually scroll past articles on them. Which seems to be 50 times a day on Facebook lately!
Old Jan 19th 2020, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most people here just whinge about the cost of the Royal family, even though they don't in fact contribute anything to the royal coffers, except on the rare occasions for security and accommodation for the royal visits. I think NZ benefits overall in terms of cost from having the Queen as head of state and I certainly can't imagine Kiwis being willing to part with money to fund an alternative system.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jan 19th 2020 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Nowt will change while the queen is still around.
the call for change might become louder when Charles becomes king.