Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rotorua, small and smelly or pardise?

Rotorua, small and smelly or pardise?

Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about
Default Rotorua, small and smelly or pardise?

Hi

what do you all think of rotorua area, one guy i know called it small and smelly, others say it a paradise, what do you think.

Thinking of settling there if i can get a job at the hospital there.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:21 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rotorua, small and smelly or pardise?

We found it quite boring and yes smelly.

Why dont you look at living in Tauranga, Papamoa area and commute each day. Only takes about 40 mins.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:26 pm
Deb+Chris

We drove through Rotorua and (I swear to god) stopped the car to check the babies nappy... really does smell quite bad but I bet you just get used to that? once on the outskirts, the smell had gone! so maybe the outskirts would be OK?

Didn't get a chance to stop and see the sights really cos we were on our way to Papamoa (which is ace).

Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

try tauranga theres more going on and your on the coast.we live there and met an english couple who were living in rotorua they hated it and have since moved to australia and yes its very smelly!!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Rotorua and we love it. As for the smell, to be honest we were dissapointed when we first arrived !! We were expecting the smell to be everywhere, in fact, we had to go looking for it !!! It is only found in certain parts of the town and not in the part where we live.

As for the town, it seems to have everything shop wise that you would require. Its big enough for there to be a good choice {by NZ standards}, but small enough to still have that town like feel to it.

Has an excellent library, aquatic centre and access to loads of sports facilities such as a great tennis club. It is in easy reach of Hamilton, Taupo, Tauranga and the Mount. House prices are still in the very affordable range, though in the 18 months we have been here we have seen prices rise considerably. We have been very pleased with our kids educationand have seen them both flourish.

The area is outstandingly beautiful, with such places as the Redwoods and the many geothermal places such as Wai O Tapu and Waikite valley.

Scottish, can you tell me what is boring about Rotorua? Is it the water sports, bowling alley, mountain biking, Zorbing, horseriding, golfing, skateboard park, quadbiking, bungy jumping, craft sessions, tramping, the agrodome, kuirau park, the Blue Baths, the museum......... where does boring come in to it.

Deb+Chris ONLY drove through the place, that does not qualify them to give an honest opinion. Ask people who live here.

Gill
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
We live in Rotorua and we love it. As for the smell, to be honest we were dissapointed when we first arrived !! We were expecting the smell to be everywhere, in fact, we had to go looking for it !!! It is only found in certain parts of the town and not in the part where we live.

As for the town, it seems to have everything shop wise that you would require. Its big enough for there to be a good choice {by NZ standards}, but small enough to still have that town like feel to it.

Has an excellent library, aquatic centre and access to loads of sports facilities such as a great tennis club. It is in easy reach of Hamilton, Taupo, Tauranga and the Mount. House prices are still in the very affordable range, though in the 18 months we have been here we have seen prices rise considerably. We have been very pleased with our kids educationand have seen them both flourish.

The area is outstandingly beautiful, with such places as the Redwoods and the many geothermal places such as Wai O Tapu and Waikite valley.

Scottish, can you tell me what is boring about Rotorua? Is it the water sports, bowling alley, mountain biking, Zorbing, horseriding, golfing, skateboard park, quadbiking, bungy jumping, craft sessions, tramping, the agrodome, kuirau park, the Blue Baths, the museum......... where does boring come in to it.

Deb+Chris ONLY drove through the place, that does not qualify them to give an honest opinion. Ask people who live here.

Gill
I've visited it, and stayed there, many times over the years and I like it.

The geothermal activity, including the smell, the surrounding bush, Maori sites and nearby lakes make it uniquely 'New Zealand'.

It doesn't have Lakeside or Bluewater for its shopping centres but I wouldn't go to Rotorua for its shopping

K.S.

By the way - Zorbing?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

No where in NZ has Lakeside or Bluewater or come to that Metrocentre, but Bayfair is only a short drive away if you are that desperate for some retail therapy.
Zorbing check out
http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...rbing/rotorua/

Gill
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Kayser Soze will become famous soon enough

No where in NZ has Lakeside or Bluewater or come to that Metrocentre, but Bayfair is only a short drive away if you are that desperate for some retail therapy.
Zorbing check out
http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...rbing/rotorua/

Gill
Originally Posted by The Man from Planet Zorb
The idea is that as the ball rolls around, the person inside (known as "the Zorbonaut") becomes pinned to the inside, just like water inside a bucket being spun around your head.

Nah - sounds really boring ----- when do the shops open

K.S.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:01 am
Deb+Chris

Gill
I never said I was qualified, I was only talking about the smell.... cos IT DOES smell... I also said I didn't know much about the place because we were on our way to Tauranga.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:08 am

Gill
IMO the place didint hit my buttons. It looked like any town in the UK. I prefer the likes of Tauranga, Papamoa where you can walk along the beach (for free just), views of the Mount and the ranges and has it nice feel to it and dosent look like any other town in the UK.

Gill, you mentioned loads of activities but lets be honest you can do those sort of things anywhere in NZ. I am talking about views and a Town Centre that might as well of been anywhere.

God talk about getting hot and bothered LOL.... must be the smell ha ha

ps I would rather be sat on a beach letting my kids play on a beach than pay for some activity that you might not be able to afford once earning the Kiwi $$.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Costs nothing to swim in the Blue lake, cost nothing to walk in the Redwoods, free entry into the museum for locals. There are some fabulous walks around the area, picnicing areas everywhere.There are loads of things to do in Rotorua for free.

Sorry, just get a bit defensive about people thinking Rotorua is nothing but a smelly town. I can assure you, it is far more than that as a local.

Traffic congestion is almost nil and there is loads of free parking.

As for views, a trip up the gondolas at Skyline skyride {yearly pass makes it dirt cheap and gives a 30% discount on food etc} gives the most magnificent views of Lake Rotorua, the city, Mokoia island and across to Tarawera.

Gill
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

davepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura aboutdavepoole has a spectacular aura about

yeah i must say being close to the coast is a big plus for me, thanks for the replies, im still not sure, im lookin for a mix of country, coast, and interesting town, lakes look kewl, just gotta find a place near the hospitals though, dont really wanna commute to far with the dodgy shifts i will be working.

keep the replies coming, its intersting to get peoples ideas/beliefs on the area

dave
Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:01 pm

Why not look at Te Puke??? Its on the road to Rotorua from Papampoa (about 20 mins) and there are some nice priced lifestyle blocks still available without paying through the nose. Its a small Township with all you need, not far from the beach or the countryside and has a nice feel. Again not a far drive to Rotorua.

TBH Papapamoa wins hands down for us. Lovely area, very quiet but not miles away from hustle and bustle. No traffic congestion on the road to Rotorua and miles and miles of sandy beaches for the kids.

If you are lucky, like we were, you can see Dolphins, Killer Wales and Penguins?.... the penguins got me very surprised at that.