Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rotorua: good places to stay?

Rotorua: good places to stay?

Old May 17th 2007, 7:28 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rotorua: good places to stay?

Dave & I celebrate 20 years of glorious wedded bliss in June ( I WAS a child bride ). We are planning to head down to Rotorua for a long weekend & as you guys are a veritable fount of knowledge, I thought it was only right & proper that I consult you .

Can any of you recommend a good hotel or motel to stay in Rotorua? Nothing too expensive but not a dive either, ie. hot & cold running water plus use of cruet

Thanks in advance
luv Annie x.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Rotorua: good places to stay?

Come on Guys. I can't believe that no-one on this site hasn't stayed in Rotorua . Or is it that ALL the accommodation is sh1t there?
I'd be really grateful for any info even if it's just places to avoid .
Thanks & TTFN.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Come on Guys. I can't believe that no-one on this site hasn't stayed in Rotorua . Or is it that ALL the accommodation is sh1t there?
I'd be really grateful for any info even if it's just places to avoid .
Thanks & TTFN.
I have stayed in Rotorua but I didn't want to reply as, yes...it was sh1t. I can't remember the name but avoid the place with the chintzy curtains, wallpaper, sofas, bedding, carpet and hosts even, if you can believe it.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Go along Fenton Street, there are some fab motels with spa's, clean and tidy and not too many $$$$$$ per night.
We used Palm Court quite a lot over the last 11 years.
But check out a few along Fenton Street, IMO the best of the bunch are along there, its the main street leading from the lake towards taupo direction.
Happy Anniversary btw!
Old May 17th 2007, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Ooh, gosh, that was terribly remiss of me. Sorry, AnnieNell - happy anniversary!
Old May 18th 2007, 5:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rascal
Go along Fenton Street, there are some fab motels with spa's, clean and tidy and not too many $$$$$$ per night.
We used Palm Court quite a lot over the last 11 years.
But check out a few along Fenton Street, IMO the best of the bunch are along there, its the main street leading from the lake towards taupo direction.
Happy Anniversary btw!
Thanks Rascal, will do some research in that area over the weekend & hope to get something booked. Otherwise it'll be fush n chups in the car! Thanks for the good wishes by the way.
Old May 18th 2007, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mazi
I have stayed in Rotorua but I didn't want to reply as, yes...it was sh1t. I can't remember the name but avoid the place with the chintzy curtains, wallpaper, sofas, bedding, carpet and hosts even, if you can believe it.
Thanks Mazi, I think I shall ring places up & use your check list, chintzy curtains always a big no-no but chintzy everything .
Thanks for the best wishes also, mind you we could divorce between now & 20th June!
Old May 18th 2007, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what hapened to my post, but I replied last night. The Heritage overlooks the Geysers at Whakarewarewa, but there are loads of hotels and motels all long Fenton street. Try and get hold of a copy of "Jasons hotels and motels", its a free book that you can pick up from, tourist information, motels and hotels, or try the library. It's a free publiation.

Cheers Gill
Old May 18th 2007, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Thanks for that Gill. I've just noticed that Dave has a copy of Jasons business traveller accom book on the bookcase.I think that it's always good to have personal recommendations too
Old May 18th 2007, 7:14 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave & I celebrate 20 years of glorious wedded bliss in June ( I WAS a child bride ). We are planning to head down to Rotorua for a long weekend & as you guys are a veritable fount of knowledge, I thought it was only right & proper that I consult you .

Can any of you recommend a good hotel or motel to stay in Rotorua? Nothing too expensive but not a dive either, ie. hot & cold running water plus use of cruet

Thanks in advance
luv Annie x.
For such a special occasion, perhaps the Rydges Hotel. They do package type deals... room and breakfast included, sometimes throw in a bottle of wine.

Try www.ratestogo.com, www.needitnow.com or www.wotif.com - they may have some special rates available.

Haven't been to Rotorua for years, but last time we stayed at the Heritage and found that very nice.

Happy Anniversary... for June.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
For such a special occasion, perhaps the Rydges Hotel. They do package type deals... room and breakfast included, sometimes throw in a bottle of wine.

Try www.ratestogo.com, www.needitnow.com or www.wotif.com - they may have some special rates available.

Haven't been to Rotorua for years, but last time we stayed at the Heritage and found that very nice.

Happy Anniversary... for June.
That's really great info SBGal (what a great name, wish I'd thought of it). Many thanks.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:01 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay at the Regal Palms, it is in the yellow pages online. It is on the main drag of motels, but is great. Lovely decor, elegant. Motel style lounge/kitchen/dining room with 1 or 2 bedrooms, but a fab bathroom!!!! HUge spa baths and a wetroom style shower. Glorious. And a credit card sized Regal Palms mint chocolate as you leave - what more can you want??

If you want Rotorua, but not the stench (good luck with that) then go out towards the blue lake. There is a beautiful lake there with a Top 10 holiday place, obviously cbins there arent going to be dazzling, but the location is stunning. In the midst of steaming steep hillsides, there is the blue lake which you can swim in - and the bird song, it is jurasic but only 5 mins from town.

Have fun!
Old May 19th 2007, 12:06 am
Account Closed

This is a fairly pointless post but I've just remembered a place just outside Rotorua which was in one of those Sunday mags - the journalist tries it out- it sounded very posh and i THINK had a private hot water pool and all the trimmings like fruit and champage on arrival. I also think you have to get a boat there - and they make nice sandwiches apparently.

but I can't remember the name or actual location! Hence it being a pointless post...
sorry
Old May 19th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
This is a fairly pointless post but I've just remembered a place just outside Rotorua which was in one of those Sunday mags - the journalist tries it out- it sounded very posh and i THINK had a private hot water pool and all the trimmings like fruit and champage on arrival. I also think you have to get a boat there - and they make nice sandwiches apparently.

but I can't remember the name or actual location! Hence it being a pointless post...
sorry
I know the place , somewhere just off Lake TArawera, for $9000 you can have your own butler. Another really expensive place is Treetops. Best way to arrive is by .....................helicopter.

There are so many hotels in Rotorua, Grand Tiara, Novotel, Ventura -breakfast included, Tuscany Villas etc etc
We love living here, however we don't get much of a chance to sample the hotels, as people usually just stay with us.

Gill
Old May 19th 2007, 5:00 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
luv Annie x.
I would recommend the Novatel on the lakeside. its near all the restaurants and the park beside the lake. It has its own thermal pools and was reasonably priced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.