RNZN TRANSFER

Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

TATS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RNZN TRANSFER

Hi, i'm looking at transferring to the RNZN on completion of my 22 years in the RN,I was wondering if there is anybody on here who has already done this and could give me an honest view on the process involved and a matelots perspective on life in the RNZN.

Many thanks

TATS
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RNZN TRANSFER

Hi

My other half is also considering this move and so far we have found the RNZN website to be useful.

We have also found that you can't apply until at least 18 months prior to completing your 22 years - they will tell you to reapply if you do this beforehand. Also your pension will be taxed in either the UK or NZ somewhere around the 40% mark and the pay is much less in NZ.

Military accommodiation over there is pretty basic and a much lower standard of what you get in the UK (and most of us complain about that). Cost of living is pretty high out there to live although the lifestyle definetely makes up for it. I believe also you have to do a return of service I think it's either 3 or 5 years and they will pay for your removals and flights... not sure about anything else.

Everyone I know that has gone to NZ has loved it and a friend of oh is in the NZRAF and says it's the best move they have made.

Not sure if this will help, but if you need any further information, please don't hesitate to shout as we have pay scales etc, but acceptance will be dependant if they require your trade.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: RNZN TRANSFER

Thanks very much for the reply. I've got a few years left before i can apply to be honest but am casting around for as much info as possible. Have found the RNZN website to be mega helpful.

The wages side isn't too much of a worry really, i'll never be a rich man in any navy!!

They are recruiting for my job at the mo but who knows in a few years.

If i find anything i find useful i'll push it in your direction.

Many thanks

TATS
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

Good luck - like you we a few years left but already looking into it. From what I read on this site I doubt we will be rich especially in the Navy! Anyway as we say it's not for the money it's for the lifestyle that we are going.

Glad some of that info could help - I have a few bits of information I have received and some things i have found out on the internet if you are interested and I'll pop the links to you if you want them.

Happy researching!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, as you say, am not going there to make my millions,
any links that you think relevant, that would be great.
The way i see it, the earlier we start looking, the less surprises there are likely to be.

In 5 years when i am ready to leave, they may not be recruiting and evrything may have changed.

Hope not though!!

TATS