Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Returned From Wellington!

Returned From Wellington!

Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:25 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Returned From Wellington!

Well, apologies for my absence, but I'm back from my soiree in Wellington!

Had a 7 hour drive from Tauranga to Wellington on Wednesday on a beautiful sunny day. Would have been quicker if they weren't resurfacing the road for practically the entire route slowing me down to 30kmph ... But it is still a stunning journey through the lower North Island which I was able to appreciate on such a gorgeous day.

I arrived at karonious' new house and as always was made to feel very welcome. I met her new man - who seems an absolute sweetie and they seem very happy. They have purchased a really lovely house in Raumati South, not far from the beach and have settled in well.

Wednesday night saw some fellow BE members from times gone by coming round to join us for dinner. Lovely to meet Jac and Adie and Dreamfish - who again are all top people - we had many laughs (most at my expense ...) But I got the last laugh by introducing them all to the wild and wacky world of Paul Anka!!!!

Thursday saw me with a hangover and karonious bright as a button take of to explore the heady metropolis that is Porirua and it's surrounds ...

Friday I met another ex-BE member cottageinthesky in Johnsonville who, again, was just lovely and if you do read this, thank you for your tips!

I then dropped my car at Turners in Seaview as planned. I was all set to get a taxi in to Wellington City to my hotel, but the extremally generous offer of a lift from BE member Littletoe was accepted gratefully. She picked me up (having already been in the city) and then drove us back to the city. We had lunch and a few wines and a lot of chat and were then joined by her hubby. Another sweetheart. He dropped us at my hotel where we headed off for dinner and another few alcoholic beverages. It was great fun, informative and simply put lovely to be able to travel to another city 100's of K's away from mine and have some friendly company. Thank you Littletoe - it was great!

Saturday I indulged myself in a whole day alone in Wellington to explore. It was another sunny warm day and I was off out early, straight over to Te Papa. I hadn't thought to see what timed it opened and got there at 9:30am. They were opening then, half an hour earlier than normal, for the current Monet exhibition. Entrance to the museum is free, the exhibition was $15. It was cool, but I felt a bit lonely as having been to Giverny (Sp? Monet's birthplace just outside Paris) with my mum, I was sad not to have anyone to turn to and tell! Still, spent an hour or two wandering round the museum and it is definitely a place I'd love to take my 6 and 10 year olds to.

I then wandered round the city and the beautiful waterfront, even had a ride on a touristy red double decker bus to remind myself of my old life in London!

I loved Wellington, such a hive of activity - business people, families, students, young couples - really cosmopolitan. Lovely mix of old and new buildings. Great choice of restaurants and bars, shops etc. And all so easy to get around. I wouldn't want to live there with 4 kids and 2 dogs, I like where I live too much, but can certainly see the attraction and will be twisting Hubby's arm for a "romantic" weekend there without kids - but who to take?!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returned From Wellington!

Glad you enjoyed it...weather was kind to you at least. You've beaten me to the Monets!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returned From Wellington!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Glad you enjoyed it...weather was kind to you at least. You've beaten me to the Monets!
Yes, the weather was great - although I think we sat in a wind funnel/tunnel outside a bar in the city on Friday night!

As I said, get there 9:30am, half an hour before Te Papa opens, (although not sure if they only do that on weekends?) only 3 people in front of me in the queue. Although, I personally thought $15 was a bit steep ... the paintings are on loan from Boston, so the MOST recognized Monets are not there ... but it's still lovely to be able to indulge in a little history of art/culture! I'm glad I went.