rentals

Old May 10th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Talking rentals

Hi all!

When we first arrive in NZ we will probably rent a place before we buy. It would most definately be in the Papamoa/Mount Maungaui area. Although we wouldn't mind renting a little way out from here whilst we are looking to buy in this area!

How much can we expect to pay for a rented 3 bed property? It would probably have to be furnished (dunno if this makes a difference to the price?). Would it be cheaper if it's long term rental ie. 6 months?

How much notice would we have to give to the landlord if we found a property that we wanted to buy?

cheers x
Old May 10th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

snowball05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: rentals

I think it all depends on what type of property you are looking for. You can get an unfurnished 3 bed for around $350 in Papamoa. The Mount tend to be more expensive, and beware the price hike from November onwards. prices to rent go through the roof as it is a popular holiday destination.

Furnished properties are not as common, but expect to pay at least another $50 a week more.

Have a look at Trade Me.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

As snowball suggests furnished properties are not very common.

Trade me's the best place to get a guide of the costs and availability of rental properties, try also http://www.realestate.co.nz/
However I would wait until you arrive to actually arrange anything, to get a better idea off areas and to actually see the property. You can usually move straight in.
Regards notice, would depend on any contract you took out, I think 21 days is normal.
Old May 10th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, I'l definately check out those sites.
Old May 10th 2008, 9:30 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Regards notice, would depend on any contract you took out, I think 21 days is normal.[/QUOTE]

There are two types of contract.

Periodic: Tenants must give 21 days of their intention to vacate
Fixed: You cannot break the lease.

However, in SOME cases, if you wish to break the lease the landlord can consider this, on the basis that you pay for all advertising to find a new tenant. You would be liable for rent until the day a new tenant moves in. Please remember though a landlord is not obligated to release you from a fixed contract (usually 6 months - to a year+). Discuss this with a potential landlord/agent prior to signing. Have a look at the Department of Building and Housing website here in NZ, renting is something you need to go into with your eyes wide open.
Old May 11th 2008, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Pimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nice

One interesting and valuable document to read is the" "Residential tenancies act of 1986". I had a close look at it and it is really clear and helpful.