Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Rental references - new arrivals

Rental references - new arrivals

Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental references - new arrivals

Hi, can anyone help please? I've searched the wiki and forum threads but can't find any existing content on this.

What will be required of new arrivals when it comes to rental references? I've asked some agents by email but not getting any replies. I own a home in the U.K. And haven't rented for years so I can't even supply UK landlord references.

Anyone else gone through this who can tell me please?
Old Dec 18th 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: Rental references - new arrivals

Originally Posted by SkylarkR
Hi, can anyone help please? I've searched the wiki and forum threads but can't find any existing content on this.

What will be required of new arrivals when it comes to rental references? I've asked some agents by email but not getting any replies. I own a home in the U.K. And haven't rented for years so I can't even supply UK landlord references.

Hi there

When we came over we had never rented before but had no problem getting a rental agreement. I think as long as you can prove you can pay the rent and the bond etc it should be all good.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:48 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

They are only interested in you paying the bond and have proof you can pay the rent with money left over for bills.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

We were in the same boat. We just showed our work contract.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkylarkR

We were not asked to provide rental references. We had to satisfy the rental agent that we had the money to pay the rent (i.e. we had full time jobs). I think the agent did mention at the time that there was someone else also interested in the same house but the agent and the owner decided that they would prefer to rent to us (a married couple) instead of a single person. So the decision was based on something other than evidence.

You can expect them to conduct a monthly inspection after you move in to keep an eye on what you do to the property. They did that to us a few times before they decided we did not need such close supervision and reduced inspections to one a year.

I should note however that those experiences of moving in were eight years ago and rental-agent priorities could well have changed in that time for all I know.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute

great stuff! Thanks everyone. One less thing to worry about