Rent a grannie

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:37 am
Just Joined

scunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nice
Default Rent a grannie

Hi

We arrived in New Zealand in Feb, with our one year old daughter. At present we don't have a network of friends or family to help and support us.

both my husband and I work full time and our daughter goes to kindy care. However occassionally she gets sent home with a runny nose etc, she is ok in herself, but not allowed at kindy. I then have to take time off from my teaching job to stay at home and look after her, I am now afraid that if this happens on a regular basis I may lose my job.

I was therefore wondering if anyone knows of any service,where some one would come to your home and say look after your children for say a couple of hours, at short notice.

I know this must look must look and sound awful and i wouldn't leave a sick child at home, it's just when they get sent home from kindy, with a green nose ( parents will know what i mean).

I look found to hearing from you

Donna
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rent a grannie

I can't solve your problem, but I wonder if your kindy are being fair to you. All children have snotty green noses and it is par for the course in pre-school childcare who are too small to wipe their noses. Mine have never been sent home unless they have a temperature and need more of a rest.

I have found that the childcare is more relaxed than the UK on exclusion for illness. We had to stay away for 72 hrs with D&V in the UK, whereas here they say 24 hours.

Good luck and hang on in there
Alison
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:00 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scunnybunny
Hi

We arrived in New Zealand in Feb, with our one year old daughter. At present we don't have a network of friends or family to help and support us.

both my husband and I work full time and our daughter goes to kindy care. However occassionally she gets sent home with a runny nose etc, she is ok in herself, but not allowed at kindy. I then have to take time off from my teaching job to stay at home and look after her, I am now afraid that if this happens on a regular basis I may lose my job.

I was therefore wondering if anyone knows of any service,where some one would come to your home and say look after your children for say a couple of hours, at short notice.

I know this must look must look and sound awful and i wouldn't leave a sick child at home, it's just when they get sent home from kindy, with a green nose ( parents will know what i mean).

I look found to hearing from you

Donna

You've not said whereabouts you'll be based? My daughter often gets a snotty nose and to date she's not been sent home. We give her some paracetomal for a temperature and let the school know. I don't think you'll have the same problem here, chicken pox has its quarantine time and some tummy bugs, but its not health and safety gone mad here. Perhaps check the policy of the childcare provider to make sure it'll tie in with you. Childcare is VERY hard in NZ. Families rely heavily on each other because of waiting lists and costs, etc. My advice to you would be to either, build a good relationship with a babysitter or three that you can call on, have a look at babysitters4u.co.nz, its a free database of parents and babysitters to establish a rapport with some of them. There is also, www.porse.co.nz, homegrown kids and kidstart that provide in home childcare if this an alternative that suits better. rockmybaby.co.nz can provide emergency babysitters at a cost, have a look at their site. Finally, you could also look at the services of an au pair agency or Nanny agency. There's a few options in Welly I would be happy to suggest if you're moving here. In Auckland there's loads of agencies, some better than others, but you'll soon learn that when you start investigating them. If all else fails, you could try advertising your needs on trademe.co.nz. I have recruited twice for my family (although not childcare) on that site and there is always a wealth of people needing work/some extra cash, etc.

Best of luck to you and your family!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:19 am
Just Joined

jupjup is an unknown quantity at this point

have a look here..

http://www.tinies.co.nz/index/articl...ent_category=4

Not used them myself, but have heard good things about them from visitors to Auckland who use them while they have a night out.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:06 am
Just Joined

scunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nice

A big thank you to everyone for all your help.

kind regards

Donna
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:45 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scunnybunny
A big thank you to everyone for all your help.

kind regards

Donna
Hi Donna,

I think there's an opening in the market for exactly what you have described!

Maybe try mums4hire if you have one near you? Or Hire a Hubby - they might do extras ...