Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocating with electricals/furniture

Relocating with electricals/furniture

Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice
Default Relocating with electricals/furniture

Hi my mum was wondering about what stuff to take with us to New Zealand and had a question.

If she took electricals such as games consoles, dvd players etc...could you get them converted so they would work in NZ? Things like games are usually not region free, the same for DVD's.

Also if she brought furniture with material on them, would customs spray it with something to make sure there were no pests on them?

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Relocating with electricals/furniture

for most things- unless you have plenty of money- the advice seems to be ''take all you can!'' All electricals will work but will need plugs changing, you could take extension leads and do a few at a time! Apparently TV's will work but only via dvd/ video player dont think you can pick up their programs without a top set box thingy(sorry not sure now I started writing this!!) Most removal companies will say no to wicker and cane. Plenty of searches on the forum about ''what to take'' you will also learn alot from the companies when they come to quote for shipping.
As for game consoles they will obviously work with your existing games but not with NZ bought games.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moved this to the main forum for you.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

for dvd players search for dvdhack on google.
you can easilly entre a code to unlock the player and
make it region free so it'll play everything.
xbox360 is region free already
ps3 is region free already
nintendo wii is region free already
ps2 is region locked and isnt worth the trouble to unlock
Unless you've lived in a field there is no reason for maf to spray your furniture.
So many people get into such a panic about what they can and cant bring.
You can bring EVERYTHING including wooden furniture, garden stuff, lawn mowers,tents.
Just clean them before they are sent.
If maf think they need further cleaning they will spray them and
charge you a few hundred bucks for doing it.
NZ is not a biodome
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

MattC is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ uses the same voltage rating as UK, so the only real issue is the plug type being different. I'd recommend bringing over a few UK multi-socket power boards. Then you only need to swap over the powerboard plug for an NZ one, then plug in all your UK devices into it as normal.

You can buy NZ plugs from the local hardware stores for under $5 each, and chop off the UK plug and wire them on. I've done this myself and I'm no electrician

The problem is with the devices where the power adapter is also the wall plug (e.g. Modems and routers). Your best bet there is to use a UK powerboard as described above.

Alternatively you can stock up on a few travel adapters but they're quite pricey.

Finally you could flick off your old stuff in the UK and buy new in NZ. From my experience though, electrical goods are more expensive in NZ. You could always stop off in Hong Kong on the way over for the smaller items

For an idea on what things cost over here you can try www.priceme.co.nz or www.pricespy.co.nz, or look on the Kiwi version of eBay, which is www.trademe.co.nz.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:32 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Nice reply colandros - couldn't have said it better myself....

....just one small point. Some UK kettles and toasters are rated at amps above what the standard Kiwi house wiring is....so might be better to get new ones here (you'll need them in the weeks before your stuff gets here anyway!)