Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Relocating Dogs to NZ

Relocating Dogs to NZ

Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

KSmith42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating Dogs to NZ

Me and my husband are relocating to Christchurch to hopefully help with the rebuild programme (fingers crossed on getting the right job offer!). We have 3 labradors and we want to bring them with us. I saw a similar question on this website but it was 2011. I'm getting quotes in for transporting them and have asked Golden Arrow to quote for us. Has anyone recently transported their pets and if so, can you help with any advice? Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:29 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating Dogs to NZ

Hello and welcome to BE!
This is a subject that comes up frequently so someone will have recent information.
I'll move it to the main forum so it will get more views-this is more for visa information. And hopefully this will work, it's my first attempt to move a thread

Love labs!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

The Johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how much roughly it costs to transport a dog to New Zealand? Thankyou for your help.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

This is my first time on this site so thanks to all who are and can help!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Some more recent posts!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...nsporting+dogs
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=moving+dogs

There are more. Try searching for moving, dogs, rentals, emigrating, pets etc and vary the combinations. It's a common subject so you should get quite a few threads if you vary the search terms

As for costs, around £3,000-4000 seems to be what gets quoted on here
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

our pooch was 2500gbp including costs of tests and a furhter 100 vet fees I think with Golden Arrow I could not sing their praises enough! We were not bothered if he flew Air Nz or Quantas so they booked him on Quantas and actually refunded us some money as they came out cheaper, they hand make the crate it was a shame I did ot have room when I picked him up to keep it.

it was the quarantine this end that was a shocker for 10 days $1500 bearing in mind ordinary kennel fees are $25 per day I was a little shocked to say the least,
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Originally Posted by KSmith42
Me and my husband are relocating to Christchurch to hopefully help with the rebuild programme (fingers crossed on getting the right job offer!). We have 3 labradors and we want to bring them with us. I saw a similar question on this website but it was 2011. I'm getting quotes in for transporting them and have asked Golden Arrow to quote for us. Has anyone recently transported their pets and if so, can you help with any advice? Thanks.
Hi KSmith and welcome to the forum. I brought my dog with me but it was 6 years ago so transportation info would be outdated by now I'm sure! I'm not sure what you will be doing for housing but it might be worth looking at the Christchurch City Council website as you must have a licence if you are wanting to keep more than 1 dog on a property http://www.ccc.govt.nz/homeliving/pe...brochures.aspx. Have you looked into finding a rental which will accept dogs? It is pretty hard to find dog friendly rentals in NZ (although it is possible) and the Christchurch market is very strong at the moment with rentals being snatched up as soon as they come on the market. A landlord who has a choice between a tenant with or without a dog is liable to go with the one without. Just adding a couple of other things which might need investigating! Good Luck with the move!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:39 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Sorry no recent idea of costs as we brought ours in 2008 but did use Golden Arrow and they were excellent. Polly was in good shape when she arrived - if a little (ok very) angry with us!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 3 over with golden arrow but it was over 4 years ago so costs will have changed but be prepared for a sharp intake of breath it aint cheap

You could just pick your favourite one and bring that as somebody actually suggested to us

Neil
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

as I said do not forget the quarantine in the costs, there is also time frame issue now of 6 months re rabies jab as UK relaxed its quarantine rules 18 months ago NZ increased theres and alot of people have been caught out you need to be looking at least 6/7 months in advance re dogs and vacinations etc and that is only the start!
Golden Arrow took us through the whole process and checked everything it is quite daunting and nerve racking especially if one of your pooches fails a test weeks out from going!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bexie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought my king Charles cav to Wellington in June 2013. I used Golden Arrow. They were fabulous. Talk you through everything from rabies vaccinations to measuring your dog correctly for the crate. All in (incl quarantine) it cost us around £3200. The cost depends on size of the animal so expect more for dogs larger than a cav. I got quotes off a lot of companies. Golden Arrow weren't the cheapest but gave me a better impression of caring for my dog than any other company. He arrived safe and well, and after his stint in quarantine, was the same stupid mutt from back home!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your messages all. From the quotes I have in we are looking at £10k (ouch!). That's more than our cost to move ourselves including the car. We have a black lab (Dad), a brown lab (mum) and their little girl who is a golden lab who mean the world to me so we cant even think of leaving any of them. Golden Arrow do seem to be very helpful and caring so if we do go we will go with them.... once we've saved a few pennies!!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all

I relocated my dog from the UK about a month ago.

Be careful when getting quotes as I was nearly tricked into paying more by one company.

I used Animal airlines it cost £1659 for a staffy. Then it cost about £300 for vets and £650 for quarantine.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I'm starting to see that as well. I've requested a quote from Animal Airlines so I'll wait to hear back from them and I had an exact price from the Quarantine company in Christchurch which was unexplainably high and no discount for 3! I'm understanding more of what is involved and what I need to do vet wise but it's getting quite stressful wading through all the adding up costs. We thought it would be around £7k and now we are looking at £10k plus. Someone is doing well from pet relocating!! I couldn't bear to leave any of them behind (
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all

I can relate to the stress part very well, I had many ups and down getting my dog here.

I hope you get a reasonable quote and thing go well, I have everything crossed for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.